Denarius as medical weight

Glebe

15 hours ago, Glebe said:

the usual search engines have not returned anything useful

Which is not surprising.
I have never heard of this "common assumption" - during more than 45 years working with ancient coins

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Dwarf said:

Which is not surprising.
I have never heard of this "common assumption" - during more than 45 years working with ancient coins

Perhaps because this is actually a question of metrology rather than numismatics.

What I am really looking into is the origin of the Apothecaries' weight scale and it's connection with the the Roman weight scale. And ultimately to the origin of the Troy pound.

Ross G.

4 hours ago, Steppenfool said:

Thanks for those references. It seems Celsus freely mixed Roman (denarius & sextantes) and Greek (obolus) terminology in the early 1st century.

Ross G.

11 hours ago, Glebe said:

Thanks for those references. It seems Celsus freely mixed Roman (denarius & sextantes) and Greek (obolus) terminology in the early 1st century.

Ross G.

Freely mixed?  Perhaps, but not necessarily.  It depends upon which part of the empire was the location for the intended recipients.  The eastern empire maintained Greek as the lingua franca before, through, and beyond the days of the Roman empire.  Latin was the preferred language in the West.  Tractates intended for general circulation might mix the two, but targeted works might well have stayed local.  So, where were the intended recipients?