L. J. Bursio Denarius and Civil War

Homer2

The Bursio denarius was my first Republic coin. I got the first one at G&M in Munich a couple years ago, and picked up a second (without thinking I already had one) locally from the coin guy at the flohmarkt. Happy though, as the second coin has an owl mint mark, and a bit better detail. There are about 450 different control marks for these coins listed in a paper by Ruyter. There are also differences between the size of the head, trident, berries on the wreath, and how the tunic is presented amongst the different types. I seem to have a large head and small head variety.

image.jpeg.8aa9f6e38ce70791cddcef8394ec0964.jpeg

Roman Republic. L. Julius Bursio, Rome, 85 BC
AR Denarius, 3.68g (19mm)
Obv. Male head to right, with attributes of Apollo, Mercury and Neptune; Owl? (control symbol) behind trident
Rev. Victory driving quadriga to right, holding reins and wreath
Crawf. 352/1a, Syd. 728

image.jpeg.ff836b1df547eefe7b05ec2c7325d1f5.jpeg

Here is the version from G&M with the smaller head.

This coin was minted at the height of turmoil in the republic and the civil war between Marian faction (Cinna) and Sulla, who was in the east fighting Mithredites (and dealing with another Roman army sent to replace/defeat Sulla in the Mithreditic War.  

In 85BC when this coin was minted, Marius had died the year before and Cinna (Caesar's father-in-law) was Consul and continuing to purge Sulla supporters in Rome. The other consular army sent to replace Sulla in the east led by Flaccus killed their consul and was now led by Fimbria, who was not keen to face Sulla, but also did not join with him. Faced with two Roman armies, Mithradites made peace with Sulla, who then advanced on Fimbria. The army deserted Fimbria, who then committed suicide. Sulla then spent time settling affairs and stabilizing the east in preparation for his eventual march on Rome and becoming dictator.

• Like 12
  • Heart Eyes 1

bur.jpg.084b7a819cc9a1c302a5a3bdb4c239d3.jpg

L. Julius Bursio (85 B.C.)

AR Denarius
O:Laureate, draped and winged bust of Genius (or Apollo Vejovis) right (attributes of Apollo, Mercury and Neptune) trident and flower in left field.
R: Victory in fast quadriga right, reins in left hand, wreath upward in right, HV above.
L IVLIO BVRSIO in ex.
Rome
3.7g
19.6mm
Julia 5b; Crawford 352/1c; Sydenham 728c

• Like 8

• Benefactor

This thread gives me a good excuse to post one of my favorite coins in my collection. As far as I'm aware, this is the only surviving example of the only instance of the depiction of an earlier Republican coin used as a control mark for a later type. The Janus head of an as is unmistakable; the reverse prow is there too, if you squint just right. DeRuyter doesn't know this control, at least not as such; he does list a "two shield" control, which may well be this mark, misunderstood from a worn example. Since his study lacks comprehensive plates, we can't really know that for sure.

Phil(55).JPG.2f1af981cffb6272484c31e5ace91067.JPG

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Clap 1
  • Heart Eyes 8

20 minutes ago, Phil Davis said:

This thread gives me a good excuse to post one of my favorite coins in my collection. As far as I'm aware, this is the only surviving example of the only instance of the depiction of an earlier Republican coin used as a control mark for a later type. The Janus head of an as is unmistakable; the reverse prow is there too, if you squint just right. DeRuyter doesn't know this control, at least not as such; he does list a "two shield" control, which may well be this mark, misunderstood from a worn example. Since his study lacks comprehensive plates, we can't really know that for sure.

Phil(55).JPG.2f1af981cffb6272484c31e5ace91067.JPG

I love that control mark 🙂

I think this is another one, but more worn:

https://www.noble.com.au/auctions/lot?lotno=3079&saleno=120&x=30&y=13

spacer.png

Edited by akeady
  • Like 6
  • Heart Eyes 2
  • Yes 1

7 minutes ago, TIF said:

A die match :).

PhilDavis-Noble-Bursio-CoinControlMarks.gif

Yes! - nice work, TIF - I thought it was a match, but didn't do an overlay - that looks good 😄

I just need to find whoever bought Noble's coin and make them an offer they can't refuse!

ATB,
Aidan.

• Like 3

• Benefactor
35 minutes ago, akeady said:

Yes! - nice work, TIF - I thought it was a match, but didn't do an overlay - that looks good 😄

I just need to find whoever bought Noble's coin and make them an offer they can't refuse!

ATB,
Aidan.

Great catch Aidan! It never seemed particularly likely that my coin is the only survivor of that die. I've always had my eyes open for another example, but I've been too lazy to really look for a worn example.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

image.jpeg.67d1e8977813280ed7e1df43f7f96c76.jpeg

ROMAN REPUBLICAN. L. Julius Bursio. 85 B.C. AR denarius. 3.74 gm. 19 mm. Rome mint. Laureate, winged, and draped bust of Apollo Vejovis right; trident and grasshopper (control mark) behind / Victory, holding wreath and reins, driving galloping quadriga right; L IVLI BVRSIO in exergue. Crawford 352/1a. Sydenham 728. RSC Julia 5. 

Ex. Davissons

Edited by MrMonkeySwag96
  • Like 3