kirispupis

Which do you recommend?  

17 members have voted

1. 1. Which do you recommend?

• Buy the coin!
    • Nah! Skip it.

• Benefactor
13 minutes ago, Prieure de Sion said:

The texts are only important when it comes to the basic data (size, weight, any errors, etc.) - the rest is mostly just advertising anyway. You must like the coin very much (condition, presentation, quality, price etc.) - then everything is fine and correct. No matter where you buy.

The thing is, and I said much the same thing on the rarity discussion, I would have had to have been a complete moron not to have researched a coin of this price before purchasing. In that respect, the attribution and claim of rarity don't really matter. If anything is wrong, I'll figure it out. What matters most are the photo, weight, and size, because I can't look those up (usually).

I'll be open and say that the condition was so good that I initially suspected it. However, the weight is exactly where it needs to be, and the fact that a double-die match (but differently centered) coin had a provenance to 1956 and was sold by a respected auction house, but this one has sharper details and banker's mark, made this extraordinarily unlikely.

I did debate about holding out for a mint mark that was rare but:

• What I really cared about was something near the time of Alexander the Great, and this mark was in the correct range
  • The die work on this particular obverse set it apart IMHO
  • I rarely care about rare mint marks unless they allow it to be attributed to some specific (rare) ruler

Remember this is a hobby and you're supposed to have fun and enjoy it. It's pretty obvious you like this coin. Even your negative list is strewn with positive statements about this coin. Place your rules aside and buy the coin!

• Like 3

Just read your previous post and realized you bought the coin. You did great -  very handsome coin you can be proud to own. I think you would have regretted losing the coin more than breaking a few of your rules!

• Like 2
  • Yes 2