Another name checked in my collection

ambr0zie

A recent auction brought me the chance to add a new ruler in my collection. Actually it was a good one - as I bought 5 coins, but 3 of them are new rulers for me (2 provincials and 1 imperial) + 1 other provincial with a rarer ruler, who was already represented in my collection but I found the coin too tempting (also a new city...)

This rarely happens as I am no longer at the beginner stage and usually "new emperor/empress" = too expensive coins. 

Normally this is not a major goal for me - 1 coin per emperor/empress is an admirable goal, but every collector reached or will reach that stage where the coins from missing rulers are hard to obtain. Pricy by default, or just relatively pricy, but simply not interesting enough to spend the sum on one example instead of 3-5 "normal" coins but with better appeal. When I say not interesting enough - rulers with a very short reign, who didn't leave a great impact to history, and from the numismatic point of view, usually with "dull coins" - bonus, less than perfect execution/style. 

In my opinion, Macrianus is an example for the second scenario. Macrianus imperial coins are not common but not major rarities. I saw a few in various auctions I was in but the price was not something I was willing to pay, as the normall hammer price for a Macrianus antoninianus in the normal state of preservation (and this means - not the most handsome coins you see) is equivalent to at least  3-4 very decent coins from other rulers. 

From the historical point of view, Macrianus and Quietus were the sons of Macrianus Sr, high ranking general of Valerian. After Valerian was kidnapped by the Persians, Gallienus became sole emperor but with a lot on his head, as in the West, Macrianus Sr arranged that his sons Macrianus II and Quietus to be named emperors, using his influence in the army. 

Macrianus Sr and Jr marched from Asia to Europe to attack Gallienus, but were defeated by the army of Gallienus (under the command of Aureolus) and this was the end of this "dynasty". They requested to be killed by their own troops to avoid being captured. Quietus had a similar fate and died also in 261. 

Did I want a coin of Macrianus? not as a top priority. BUT for almost 2 years I had a certain type in mind. Not extremely rare but not your everyday coin either. I once helped in attributing this type (and it was not the easiest task) and I regretted a little that I did not buy that coin myself. Because the reverse is really interesting. So when seeing the same type in the auction I was in really made me want it! 

I was not optimistic, I was sure there will be a serious bidding war but to my surprise, I won the coin very close to the opening bid. And the price was 50% from the initial coin from 2 years ago, that one being in a worse state. Pretty good. 

image.png.3d2a486a216e63dd517a7106e39f1308.png 

23 mm, 7,45 g.

Bithynia, Nicaea. Macrianus. Usurper, 260-261 AD. Ӕ.

ΤΙ(Τ) ΦΟΥΛ ΙΟΥ ΜΑΚΡΙΑΝΟϹ ϹΕΒ, radiate, draped and cuirassed bust of Macrianus, right, seen from front / ΝΙΚΑΙΕΩΝ, bird's eye view of city with gates front and back flanked by two towers.

RG 867; RPC X, — (unassigned; ID 74609); SNG von Aulock 733; BMC 157.

Of course, the main point of interest for me was the reverse -  I like architectural types and this is an uncommon image/motif on coins. 

Fun fact - this reverse was initially used on coins from Valerian and Gallienus reign - but those are much rarer. 

Let's see coins from usurpers, coins with architectural reverses, examples you bought after you lost a type in the past, Macrianus coins or anything you feel relevant. 

Edited by ambr0zie
  • Like 21
  • Clap 2

Posted · Supporter

Nice addition, well done. A reverse to look at time and time again. I have only one usurper, Postumus

Postumus AR Antoninianus. Trier. 264-265 CE
IMP C POSTVMVS P F AVG, radiate, draped and cuirassed bust right / MONETA AVG, Moneta standing left with scales in right hand and holding cornucopiae and raising hem of skirt with left. RIC 75. RSC 199, Sear 10962. (Note the curly hair above the brow on the obverse.
This is one of the main characteristics which distinguishes this coin from RIC 315 from Cologne, on which the hair is in more or less straight lines.)

20240319_165616__2_-side-removebg-preview.png.200f5f2a4f49da6271d56bd475c1becb.png

• Like 11

Posted · Supporter

Rare guy worth a rad reverse! Big coingrats!!!

I have lots of the usurpers. But after Pertinax aren't they all kind of userpers? At least, if they had lost they would be. 

Here's my more common version:

2451873_1640601598.l.jpg.82b6789ac5c55210af1c5a1f6afd2d59.jpg.aab6057792b070e724b4551e33629f10.jpgMacrianus, usurper, 260-261. Antoninianus (billon, 3.61 g, 20 mm), Samosata IMP C FVL MACRIANVS P F AVG: Bust of Macrianus, radiate, cuirassed, right. Rev. FORT REDVX Fortuna seated left, holding rudder and cornucopiae, star in left field. RIC 7; Cohen 5; Sear 10800. Very fine. Very rare. Purchased from Sol Numismatik Jan 2022

• Like 8

14 hours ago, rasiel said:

This is one of the most expensive coins I've had the pleasure of holding. Holding.

image.jpeg.8543aa87fa4eefcc6c460e3cebaba83c.jpeg

What's that? What about the one I actually do own? Uh... {yaaaawn}

Macrianus2024-01-10.jpg.aff2a74a8252f794ba196a7d28704935.jpg

Rasiel

..    quite  honorable...:)