39 minutes ago, Tejas said:

I found this Probus Antoninian on Ebay. 

Probus

Obv.: VIRTVS PROBI AVG

Rev.: VIRTVS AVG

In exergue: QXXT

Mint: Ticinum

Date: AD 277

The coin was surprisingly inexpensive. I like the bust with the shield showing the Roman army.

5.PNG

Nice coin, what a neck!  and glad you had a good deal. Well done. I really like the military bust on yours.

Here is one of mine.

image.png.1b6eb4f853141bb3da92a5a1b09c5c7a.png

277 AD. Lugdunum mint. Obv: IMP C PROBVS P F AVG legend with radiate, draped and cuirassed bust right. Rev: MARS VICTOR legend with Mars advancing right carrying trophy and spear; II in exergue. RIC 84; Sear 11992.3.47 grams. Ex-Timelines Auctions 2021.

• Like 4

Nice pick up @Tejas lovely obverse.

I also got a cheap one a few weeks ago. From Siscia

Probus AE Antoninianus. Siscia, 279 AD.
IMP C M AVR PROBVS P F AVG, radiate bust left, wearing imperial mantle and holding eagle-tipped sceptre / VIRTVS PROBI AVG, trophy standing between two captives. RIC 820, Cohen 942. Alföldi 101/033
22 mm, 4,87 g

5383454_1712334626.l-removebg-preview.png.5db46e2ff105be9103e07024f7796e71.png

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Nerosmyfavorite68 said:

I had meant to buy a nice silvered Probus consular bust, but opportunity cost arose and I chose the 'plague face' Justinian instead.

I bought the consular bust type below simply for the finely elaborated cloak that Probus is wearing:

1.PNG

• Like 5
  • Heart Eyes 2
  • Yes 1

As I said above, I like the shield depicting the army (or at least a group of soldiers). This decoration was apparently only (or mainly) used at Ticinum. I think it is meant to indicate that Probus had the whole army at his disposal for the defence of the Empire.

1.PNG

Edited by Tejas
  • Like 4
  • Yes 1

My only other Probus

Probus, 276-282 AD. AR Antoninianus (4.98 gm; 23 mm). Lugdunum mint.
IMP C PROBVS .  P . F . AVG, radiate and cuirassed bust right.
PAX AVG, Pax standing left with branch in upraised hand and raising hem of skirt while holding sceptre; Officina D in left field. Pleasant toning.
RIC 119(D.RC)

20230822_171824__3_-removebg-preview-side.png.e5296c5815abfc146e02b29f9f6b52c2.png

• Like 5

On 6/25/2024 at 1:58 AM, Tejas said:

I bought the consular bust type below simply for the finely elaborated cloak that Probus is wearing:

1.PNG

I don't blame you.  THe one I was looking at was fully silvered, but not as finely rendered.  If it had been this nice I would have left behind one of the other coins.  Perhaps in an upcoming order. It's been 15 years since I bought a Probus.

The OP type comes with a whole host of interesting bust types. This is one that I did own but parted with some time past during lean times...... back in 2008....

Do I regret selling it? Yes... and no.... It is a coin that I will never own again but it kept my family fed and watered during a time of need.....

Probus Antoniniaus

Obv:– IMP C M AVR PROBVS AVG, Radiate, cuirassed bust left in elaborate cuirass decorated with Medusa medallion & holding Vitoriola (Victory on globe, facing left, holding wreath) in right hand, palm up
Rev:– VIRTVS AVG, Soldier standing left, holding Victory and spear and leaning on shield
Minted in Ticinum(QXXT) Emission 2 Officina 4. A.D. 276
Reference:– Cohen unlisted. RIC 435 var. (This bust type not listed in RIC or Cohen)
Die match is illustrated in Bastien's Buste Monetaire... pl. 126 number 11

normal_RI%20132kp%20img.jpg

• Like 5