Does this Julius Caesar look okay?

Amarmur

The coin is in poor condition, and the pictures are too low resolution to be helpful. However there are some red flags even from the image provided.

The weight provided also raises doubts. The last figure provided by any digital weighing scale is generally not reliable. So in this case, we can only conclude that the coin weighs 3 grams. 

Speaking for myself: I would not touch it. A word of advice: buying such coins from unknown sellers is very very risky.

• Like 1

Posted · Supporter
46 minutes ago, traveler said:

The coin is in poor condition, and the pictures are too low resolution to be helpful. However there are some red flags even from the image provided.

The weight provided also raises doubts. The last figure provided by any digital weighing scale is generally not reliable. So in this case, we can only conclude that the coin weighs 3 grams. 

Speaking for myself: I would not touch it. A word of advice: buying such coins from unknown sellers is very very risky.

Depends on the scale. I have one that is accurate to within 0.01 gram. 3.6g for that coin is about right.

The style of the portrait seems ever-so-slightly off, but I could be wrong. Finding a die match (to either a genuine coin or a fake) might be difficult given the condition of the coin.

I'd second what Traveler says above: is the seller an established, reputable dealer? Would the purchase come with a guarantee of authenticity?

• Like 2

In case I was not clear enough. From these (poor) pictures I believe this coin to be a fake. A reverse image search suggests the coin was/is offered on ebay, although I cannot find a live listing. 

I have yet to see an auction house listing a coin's weight without at least three digits. I believe the reason is due to what I have already mentioned above about scale accuracy. That this seller only gives two digits... makes me assume it's not a reputable or known seller.  

Of course I could be wrong and this coin be an incredible bargain. Having said that, guarantees of authenticity given by a fraudster aren't worth much. My two cents.

• Like 3