Do you have this coin or one of its varieties?

Ten-Speed

The eye appeal of this coin was too much for me to pass up--the sea-weed patina, the men in the rowing galley, and (in the seller's words) a rare left-sided portrait of Hadrian. Yes, it is tooled, and also smoothed, but I haven't seen many coins that look like this and it may help in my goal to learn more about varieties. Maybe it was a slightly impulsive purchase last week, but I didn't want to miss out on it. In RIC this is the 706j variety. On the back, the inscription FELIVITAS AVG is in two straight lines. Most of the coins have these words in a circular arc above the gallery.

AE Sestertius  117-138, Hadrian. Rare Type. RIC 706j variety, 30.8 x 31.8 mm; weight 22.51 grams. 

From the seller's (one I trust very much) description: "Obverse head of Hadrian left, with HADRIANVS AVGVSTVS around. Head left is a rare variation on this type. Reverse is galley rowing left with FELICITAS AVG in two straight lines and the COS II PP below, with SC to either side off the galley. Most examples of this type have the FELICITAS AVG in an arc above the galley, with examples like this in two straight lines being scarce. With the scarce reverse variation combined with the rare obverse head left variety, this type does not show up often. Provenance ex-MS collection of Calgary, who specialized in rarities." About VF

Does anyone have this coin or one of its varieties?

image.png.e86c2442992fa9ef338edbe2460d097c.png

• Like 16
  • Party 1

The Hadrian with galley reverse I have is right facing and with the galley rowing right. My understanding of this type is to commemorate the return of Hadrian from one of his travels, and the re-opening of the mint which was closed during his absence.

HADRIANROMEMINT125126CE.jpg.05cab5595db0abb85585197d25b7140c.jpg

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Yay! Beautiful coin with a similar patina, I wonder if many Hadrian coins have this kind of patina. It's good to get some history about these coins, thanks. Now I know what a vexillum is--I can't place them now but I think I've seen them in modern photos but not sure of the type of environment.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I love the type. Look! A galley!  👋  I always think of the Marc Antony legionary denari when I see these.  As I don't collect sestertius (@Ten-Speed) or as (@expat), already represented here, here's a denarius. 

image.jpeg.913f28f1e808b5a16a16f2cf485b9590.jpeg  image.jpeg.808b18c0f0076de3f04295931e9a960f.jpeg  

Roman Empire. Hadrian. 117-138 AD. AR Denarius (3.17ᵍᵐ 19.2ᵐᵐ 6ʰ) of Rome, 119-122 AD. Laureate bust of Hadrian right with slight drapery on far shoulder. IMP CAESAR TRAIAN HADRIANVS AVG / Galley left, mast with furled sails in bow.  P M TR P COS III. VF. Bt. Goldberg Pre-Long Beach Auction 128 #2333.  Ex-CNG EA 222 #396.  Rare.  RIC II.3 #530 (1st ed #112); RSC II #1173 corr. (galley left). cf SRCV II #3529 (laur., dr. & cuir bust right).

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Anaximander said:

I love the type. Look! A galley!  👋  I always think of the Marc Antony legionary denari when I see these.  As I don't collect sestertius (@Ten-Speed) or as (@expat), already represented here, here's a denarius. 

image.jpeg.913f28f1e808b5a16a16f2cf485b9590.jpeg  image.jpeg.808b18c0f0076de3f04295931e9a960f.jpeg  

Roman Empire. Hadrian. 117-138 AD. AR Denarius (3.17ᵍᵐ 19.2ᵐᵐ 6ʰ) of Rome, 119-122 AD. Laureate bust of Hadrian right with slight drapery on far shoulder. IMP CAESAR TRAIAN HADRIANVS AVG / Galley left, mast with furled sails in bow.  P M TR P COS III. VF. Bt. Goldberg Pre-Long Beach Auction 128 #2333.  Ex-CNG EA 222 #396.  Rare.  RIC II.3 #530 (1st ed #112); RSC II #1173 corr. (galley left). cf SRCV II #3529 (laur., dr. & cuir bust right).

A great galley! Very nicely defined devices on this coin and just the right amount of toning/patina to suggest its ancient provenance. Thanks for posting this coin.

• Like 1

• Benefactor

I used to collect Hadrian specifically and had all of these in the base metal denominations, including the sestertii.  Sadly I sold them off thinking I could just go out and replace them easily and at similar prices.  Silly boy!  The Hadrian As with Britannia that I bought at Coincraft back in the early 90's for 65 GBP recently resold for a just over $2,000!  My advice to anyone:  just keep those coins.  Replacing them will cost so much more, and often you may not get similar quality.  Occasionally I am surprised though.  Recently I re-purchsed a Hadrian Sestertius I owned about 30 years ago and it cost me half what I paid originally, but I suppose I may have over-paid the first time!

• Like 4

Not too great...but a variety:

Hadrian.  117-138 AD. Æ As (27 mm; 9.82 gm; 6h). Rome mint, Struck 131 AD. Obv: HADRIANVS AVGVSTVS, bare-headed, draped, cuirassed bust right. Rev: [FELICITATI AVG), above galley right with six rowers, emperor seated in cabin at stern, raising right hand, small slanted sail at bow; COS III (P P) below, S-C across. C 691. RIC 718c. BMCRE 1456. Hill 468

image.jpeg

• Like 5