Another Second Chance Coin

I narrowly missed this coin when it first appeared on Vcoins a couple of months ago. As soon as I saw this rare piece I placed it in my shopping basket, but when I proceeded to pay a notification popped up stating it was no longer available! Luckily, a couple of weeks later the same coin was offered on eBay by another seller with just a slight mark-up. I took advantage of this second chance! Admittedly, there is a lot to be desired regarding the condition, but another example may not appear in trade for many years.

V612.jpg.778a66a12da478311f7345cf709bc263.jpg
Titus as Caesar [Vespasian]
Æ Sestertius, 20.90g
Rome mint, 73 AD
Obv: T CAES VESP IMP PON TR POT COS II CENS; Head of Titus, laureate, bearded, r.
Rev: S C in field; Mars adv. r., with spear and trophy
RIC 612 (R2). BMC -. BNC 672.
Ex eBay, 13 May 2024. Ex Incitatus Coins.

An extremely rare Mars variety from 73 after Titus Caesar was appointed joint censor with Vespasian. Like so many Titus reverses, this Mars type is also shared with Vespasian and appears on contemporaneous denarii as well. H. Mattingly in BMCRE II states the Mars with spear and trophy 'was perhaps traditionally regarded as "Mars Pater" - the ancestor of the Roman nation.' Missing from the BM's extensive collection.

In hand.

Thanks for looking!

• Like 16

4 hours ago, David Atherton said:

I narrowly missed this coin when it first appeared on Vcoins a couple of months ago. As soon as I saw this rare piece I placed it in my shopping basket, but when I proceeded to pay a notification popped up stating it was no longer available! Luckily, a couple of weeks later the same coin was offered on eBay by another seller with just a slight mark-up. I took advantage of this second chance! Admittedly, there is a lot to be desired regarding the condition, but another example may not appear in trade for many years.

V612.jpg.778a66a12da478311f7345cf709bc263.jpg
Titus as Caesar [Vespasian]
Æ Sestertius, 20.90g
Rome mint, 73 AD
Obv: T CAES VESP IMP PON TR POT COS II CENS; Head of Titus, laureate, bearded, r.
Rev: S C in field; Mars adv. r., with spear and trophy
RIC 612 (R2). BMC -. BNC 672.
Ex eBay, 13 May 2024. Ex Incitatus Coins.

An extremely rare Mars variety from 73 after Titus Caesar was appointed joint censor with Vespasian. Like so many Titus reverses, this Mars type is also shared with Vespasian and appears on contemporaneous denarii as well. H. Mattingly in BMCRE II states the Mars with spear and trophy 'was perhaps traditionally regarded as "Mars Pater" - the ancestor of the Roman nation.' Missing from the BM's extensive collection.

In hand.

Thanks for looking!

Hey David, 

Thanks for buying. I didn't originally plan to sell it but I wanted a Titus Sestertius. It was kind of an impulse buy for me. I thought it was a tad ugly then I decided to sell it. Sorry for the markup the eBay fees are awful. I have a nice Titus portrait now I'm not sure if I'll get a nice sestertius of Titus yet. I'm glad you like the coin. 

• Like 5
  • Clap 1

Posted (edited)
12 hours ago, Amarmur said:

Hey David, 

Thanks for buying. I didn't originally plan to sell it but I wanted a Titus Sestertius. It was kind of an impulse buy for me. I thought it was a tad ugly then I decided to sell it. Sorry for the markup the eBay fees are awful. I have a nice Titus portrait now I'm not sure if I'll get a nice sestertius of Titus yet. I'm glad you like the coin. 

Oh wow! I didn't realise you were the seller! 

No apologies needed for the mark-up, it was very reasonable considering Steve sells his coins fairly cheap!

Edited by David Atherton
  • Like 3