Sully hoard (LRB), Museum of Wales

If you like tetrarchic or Constantinian coins, and need something to kill your productivity, then have a browse through the 2008 Sully hoard, which was acquired by the Museum of Wales, and has excellent photos of them online.

https://museum.wales/collections/online/?field0=with_images&value0=on&field1=string&value1=sully&field2=string&value2=ni

It's an amazing hoard.

• Like 10
  • Party 1
  • Yes 1

There are nearly 500 Roman coins online, mostly in really good condition. Not much about each one, though. No proper coin references. Too bad! The museum has this to say about the hoard: 

Site Name: Sully, Vale of Glamorgan

Date: 2008 / Apr / 5

Notes: Two Romano-British coin hoards found. 'Hoard A' comprising approx 2366 coins and 'Hoard B' comprising approx 3547 coins, together with their pottery containers. 

That's a little terse, so I went to look for something more descriptive, and I came across this from Wikipedia: 
Wikipedia.Romanhoards(2024).jpg.0667b58d441e98d59243927306eb5ea4.jpg
Still not saying much, is it? The footnote, however, is a press article... "'Exceptional' Roman coins hoard". BBC. 30 October 2008. Retrieved 18 July 2010.

14 hours ago, Heliodromus said:

If you like tetrarchic or Constantinian coins, and need something to kill your productivity, then have a browse through the 2008 Sully hoard, which was acquired by the Museum of Wales, and has excellent photos of them online.

https://museum.wales/collections/online/?field0=with_images&value0=on&field1=string&value1=sully&field2=string&value2=ni

It's an amazing hoard.

Heliodromus, Thanks for posting this valuable info, I'll download the Sully Hoard listing for my reference ☺️. Just a quick glance reveals many rarities in this hoard 🤨.

Posted · Supporter
22 hours ago, Heliodromus said:

It's an amazing hoard.

Thank you @Heliodromus I lived in Sully 40 years ago but had never heard of this hoard. How strange to see a pinprick on the map where I used to live mentioned here.

• Like 1

The more I look at this hoard, the more I am amazed by it - what a collection of rarities (plus a few unlisteds). I'd love to know what else is in the full 5000 coins!

I found a neat Sully double die link to a coin in my collection - this unofficial London-style nummus of Maximianus.

Top coin is from Sully B hoard (2009.24H-4728), and one below is mine.

image.png.aead98a284a1fcdb3ffad2f39105d9ea.png

image.png.7e9d8a3868a689f135744dfd1c5a5f0f.png

• Like 4

Posted (edited)

And another double die link.

These bust of Sol/Mars types are mostly from Trier, but one below from Sully B is from London (I wonder if they realize?), and bottom coin is mine.

image.png.e4e0ada18b4122cd656108c5f0d7b78f.png

image.png.46c2a5dbda0eee139de33a971dcbe2fa.png

Edited by Heliodromus
  • Like 3

Posted (edited)

And a couple of other die links to my collection too!

Top Sully B, bottom mine - Marti Patri Conservatori (unlisted for Maximianus), rev die linked.

image.png.3d625a5c525bae0d0a64aefa2a93ea58.png

image.png.4aca2e98d9843b6bb07b7fd64649f7e9.png

Top Sully B, bottom mine - RIC 115, obv die linked.

image.png.84305d004d7f6a2c0a09a171b99c29f3.png

image.png.3f151889128cde850b70cb10f3444f42.png

Edited by Heliodromus
  • Like 3