An interesting hybrid of Lucilla.

Picked up something interesting today. It was incorrectly attributed as RIC 771 with Juno reverse. I will probably not keep it for long, but thought it is worth sharing. It is an extremely rare hybrid of a Lucilla obverse, paired with a Marcus Aurelius reverse (RIC 48, 49, or 50.)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

hybrid.jpg.f8914f07d0531c0b46cc92a67c08e362.jpg

Lucilla and Marcus Aurelius. AR Hybrid Denarius (15.5mm 3.30 g) Rome ca. AD 161-162. LVCILLAE AVC ANTONINI AVG F; draped bust of Lucilla to right / PROV DEOR TR P XVI COS III; Providentia, draped, standing left, holding globe on extended right hand and cornucopiae in left.

image.png.db60e4a93021fc48978ab464aea59787.png

A similar hybrid exists, from E. Haeberlins collection of imperial coins, sold in by Cahn in 1932,  also with an Aurelius reverse (9 possible options, RIC 66-74A)

• Like 9

Makes me miss the days when I only collected Lucilla too. I never had a hybrid like this. Nice find.

Shame you will unload it quickly. Is it because of the condition?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Kali said:

Makes me miss the days when I only collected Lucilla too. I never had a hybrid like this. Nice find.

Shame you will unload it quickly. Is it because of the condition?

I have decided to purely focus on her provincial coins, I find them far more interesting and varied than her imperial coins, where I could probably obtain nearly every type within the span of a decade or less, whilst her provincials will have me going for a lifetime because of the rarity factor of most types 😄 I tend to buy a fair amount of coins to flip each year, helps finance expensive purchases.

• Like 1