Planchette Flaw or Not?

I’m considering sending this piece into NGC for grading, is the defect roughly at 8 o’clock dramatic enough to get it a details grade? Also, is it true that if you pay PCGS for an error designation that they will call it a defective planchet and straight grade it?image.png.5b3ad58ec6594a4b8346261034423531.png

• Like 4
  • Yes 1

It's a nice coin and to me, it does look like a Planchette Flaw since some of the other surfaces have some cracking to it.

As for the NGC questions, maybe someone else can answer them since I don't mess with slabs.

• Like 2

Posted · Supporter

It looks to be a combination of lamination and delamination. Lamination errors are planchet errors in which the surface of a coin cracks and flakes. It is generally believed that lamination errors are caused by contaminants in the alloy that cause the metal to separate along the horizontal plane. Lamination errors can develop before or after the strike. Delaminations are caused when the cracked areas split apart and some material flakes off.

Here I show you an extreme attached lamination

20210808_102545(2).jpg.d3a69829e27319c41b14e1c91bda3cd6.jpg20210808_102701(2).jpg.ce0566275cc090d42e3a2924a795d3dd.jpgScreenshot2021-08-08102309.jpg.1d3fb2cfb9c383ee0a949cf4e3953a0b.jpg

• Like 5

Handsome coin.  I do not think that paying PCGS for an error designation would necessarily enable it to straight-grade.

I’d go with NGC.  With them, I’ve had mixed results.  One 1901 British colonial coin was “details” graded for a planchet flaw similar to the one on your coin.  

But more recently, I got a straight XF grade on this 1548 thaler with a small planchet flaw.  Note the little divot out in front of the guy’s face, which looks like a hit at first glance. 

IMG_8930.jpeg.151145af10c0c56e8c3b2a1cf6eaf58b.jpeg

I was concerned they would consider it damage, but since I thought it was a planchet flaw, I decided to take a chance.  Happily, it passed, and my opinion was vindicated.  They straight-graded it with no mention of the flaw.  But had the flaw been larger- who knows?

IMG_8929.jpeg.0b58469e9941b5118b846d7429add5e7.jpeg

So maybe it’s the luck of the draw, and I guess they also take the severity of the flaw into account.

Since the flaw is fairly evident on your coin (though in my opinion it has little effect on the eye appeal), it’s anyone’s guess what a TPG like NGC or PCGS will say and do about it.

I say it’s worth a shot, and would try NGC first.  Randomly speculating (and this is purely a guess), I say there’s a 65% chance they’ll give that a “details” grade, and a 35% chance they’ll straight-grade it.  I hope it’s the latter, but even if it ends up in a “details” holder, it still would have been worth the attempt.

I can also recommend their Photovision service, for a modest additional fee.  Their photographers do a great job.

IMG_8931.jpeg.9d3446cd9a77bb958a2ae78a75215f32.jpeg

Edited by lordmarcovan
  • Like 3

IMHO, NGC will not consider that an error nor give it a details grade based on the planchet flaw. I have sent in a few coins with a similar condition. It appears that part of the design is visible inside of the affected area which tells me it was there when the coin was struck. 

The coin below has a similar flaw. It did come back details graded but it was for cleaning. The flaw wouldn't keep me from submitting it to NGC.

It looks like the OP's coin is struck over another coin. Looks like there are some details "behind" the legend that shouldn't be there. Would be neat to try and figure that out. 

image.jpeg.8de22a7a36a6fe92470845d358782620.jpeg

• Like 4