Wins from Leu Web Auction 30? I got Mark Antony and Octavian

Salomons Cat

I know that the auction is still running. But I already got my wish coin:

image.jpeg.ca892c0453e981a4af66ad56ba52f3b3.jpeg
Mark Antony and Octavian. Denarius (Silver, 19 mm, 3.83 g, 12 h), with M. Barbatius, Ephesus (?), 41. M•ANT•IMP•AVG•III•VIR•R•P•C•M•BARBAT•Q•P Bare head of Mark Antony to right. Rev. CAESAR•IMP•PONT•III•VIR•R•P•C• Bare head of Octavian to right. Babelon (Antonia) 51, (Julia) 96 and (Barbatia) 2. Crawford 517/2. RBW 1798. Sydenham 1181. Some banker's marks on the obverse and with a minor flan fault on the reverse, otherwise, about extremely fine.

I like it because the portraits are clear and sharp, it's well centered and has full and readable legends. 
And I'm probably one of the very few people who love banker's marks. 

Edited by Salomons Cat
  • Like 30
  • Clap 2
  • Heart Eyes 5
  • Party 1
  • Popcorn 3

Posted · Supporter

Nope! I placed just one bid, once again on a nice Trajan denarius, and once again I was outbid (although not as catastrophically as last time!) Kind of disappointing, but oh well, there will always be others. And anyway, I really need to sell some stuff first before buying more.

Nice coin @Salomons Cat!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Clap 1
  • Cry 1

Posted · Administrator

Haven’t purchased a coin in probably over year (thanks, home maintenance surprises!) so decided to end the hiatus today. Prices were 🤯 But managed to snag 3:

02027q00.jpg.004575442af0d800aad858482e062a50.jpg

Trajan, 98-117. Denarius (Silver, 18 mm, 3.70 g, 6 h), Rome, circa 107-108. IMP TRAIANO AVG GER DAC P M TR P Laureate head of Trajan to right, with slight drapery on his left shoulder. Rev. COS V P P S P Q R OPTIMO PRINC Victory standing front, head to left, holding wreath in her right hand and palm frond in her left. BMC 328. Cohen 74. RIC 128. Woytek 270b. 

02045q00.jpg.a31a19ad176bad83b9c6d295bb61edd4.jpg

Trajan, 98-117. Denarius (Silver, 20 mm, 3.47 g, 6 h), Rome, winter 114-early 115. IMP CAES NER TRAIAN OPTIMO AVG GER DAC Laureate and draped bust of Trajan to right, seen from behind. Rev. P M TR P COS VI P P S P Q R Trajan's Column: column surmounted by statue of Trajan standing left, holding patera and scepter, and set on podium decorated with eagles. BMC 565. Cohen 284. RIC 356. Woytek 514v. 

02145q00.jpg.369c848b1ee59ec0046411468ca64531.jpg

Faustina Senior, Augusta, 138-140/1. Denarius (Silver, 18 mm, 3.30 g, 6 h), Rome. FAVSTINA AVGVSTA Diademed and draped bust of Faustina Senior to right. Rev. IVNONI REGINAE Draped throne against which rests scepter; on throne, peacock with spread tail standing facing, head to right. BMC 145. Cohen 221. RIC 340.

Really wanted this one but lost out with the last second bidding sniping... I wish Leu would go the CNG route and reset the timer for 5-10 seconds if someone bids in the last 5-10 seconds, so you can't lose out to sniping. Oh well... Hopefully someone on this forum got it so we can see an in hand pic. It's a stunning coin. 

02041q00.jpg.7e109b2a5dc8a44041503c6c8ab378bd.jpg

Trajan, 98-117. Denarius (Silver, 18 mm, 3.34 g, 6 h), Rome, circa 112-113. IMP TRAIANO AVG GER DAC P M TR P COS VI P P Laureate head of Trajan to right, with slight drapery on his left shoulder. Rev. S P Q R OPTIMO PRINCIPI Equestrian statue of Trajan on horseback to left, holding spear in his right hand and small Victory in his left. BMC 445. Cohen 497. RIC 291 var. (bust type). Woytek 394b. 

Going for 1 more tomorrow, fingers crossed.  

• Like 23
  • Clap 3
  • Cool 1
  • Heart Eyes 3
  • Party 3
  • Yes 1

Posted · Supporter
32 minutes ago, Restitutor said:

Haven’t purchased a coin in probably over year (thanks, home maintenance surprises!) so decided to end the hiatus today. Prices were 🤯 But managed to snag 3:

02027q00.jpg.004575442af0d800aad858482e062a50.jpg

Trajan, 98-117. Denarius (Silver, 18 mm, 3.70 g, 6 h), Rome, circa 107-108. IMP TRAIANO AVG GER DAC P M TR P Laureate head of Trajan to right, with slight drapery on his left shoulder. Rev. COS V P P S P Q R OPTIMO PRINC Victory standing front, head to left, holding wreath in her right hand and palm frond in her left. BMC 328. Cohen 74. RIC 128. Woytek 270b. 

02045q00.jpg.a31a19ad176bad83b9c6d295bb61edd4.jpg

Trajan, 98-117. Denarius (Silver, 20 mm, 3.47 g, 6 h), Rome, winter 114-early 115. IMP CAES NER TRAIAN OPTIMO AVG GER DAC Laureate and draped bust of Trajan to right, seen from behind. Rev. P M TR P COS VI P P S P Q R Trajan's Column: column surmounted by statue of Trajan standing left, holding patera and scepter, and set on podium decorated with eagles. BMC 565. Cohen 284. RIC 356. Woytek 514v. 

02145q00.jpg.369c848b1ee59ec0046411468ca64531.jpg

Faustina Senior, Augusta, 138-140/1. Denarius (Silver, 18 mm, 3.30 g, 6 h), Rome. FAVSTINA AVGVSTA Diademed and draped bust of Faustina Senior to right. Rev. IVNONI REGINAE Draped throne against which rests scepter; on throne, peacock with spread tail standing facing, head to right. BMC 145. Cohen 221. RIC 340.

Really wanted this one but lost out with the last second bidding sniping... I wish Leu would go the CNG route and reset the timer for 5-10 seconds if someone bids in the last 5-10 seconds, so you can't lose out to sniping. Oh well... Hopefully someone on this forum got it so we can see an in hand pic. It's a stunning coin. 

02041q00.jpg.7e109b2a5dc8a44041503c6c8ab378bd.jpg

Trajan, 98-117. Denarius (Silver, 18 mm, 3.34 g, 6 h), Rome, circa 112-113. IMP TRAIANO AVG GER DAC P M TR P COS VI P P Laureate head of Trajan to right, with slight drapery on his left shoulder. Rev. S P Q R OPTIMO PRINCIPI Equestrian statue of Trajan on horseback to left, holding spear in his right hand and small Victory in his left. BMC 445. Cohen 497. RIC 291 var. (bust type). Woytek 394b. 

Going for 1 more tomorrow, fingers crossed.  

Excellent choices for breaking the fast! The Trajan's Column one, in particular, is a beautiful specimen! 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Posted · Supporter

Very nice! I love the sideburns on Octavian!

Yesterday I won my main mark for the Leu auction and shared already, but will gladly post it again:

1000001207-removebg-preview.png.fb78d8a55c909612eab2d154d9738b5f.png

KINGS OF PAEONIA. Patraos, circa 335-315 BC. Tetradrachm (Silver, 23 mm, 12.79 g, 6 h), Astibos or Damastion. Laureate head of Apollo to right. Rev. ΠΑΤΡΑΟ-Υ Paeonian horse­man, wearing crested helmet and full armor, galloping to right and spea­ring fallen enemy, who defends himself with a spear in his right hand and a shield on his left arm; below the horse's tail, monogram of ƎM; all within shallow round incuse. Paeonian Hoard 400 (same dies). Peykov E2140 (same reverse die as illustration). Test cut on the edge and with two punch marks on the obverse, otherwise, very fine.

• Like 24
  • Heart Eyes 5

• Benefactor

I had several Roman Provincials on my watch list but somehow forgot about the auction until that day's session was over. Naturally, they all sold at low, low prices. I try to tell myself that if I had bid on them, the person who won them  would probably have driven the prices up to unreasonable levels. But it's small consolation for my own forgetfulness.

• Like 1
  • Cry 9

Posted · Supporter

I'm sorry to hear this @DonnaML. This June, there was a coin in an auction that I really wanted. I anticipated the day and was prepared to bid aggressively. The timing could not be better—I was on holiday, registered weeks in advance, and was looking for a pleasure evening after the auction would start as per the time specified in Numisbids.

In the morning, after annoying my wife, who felt I was swimming too far in too rough waters (which was not the case, of course), I made the final check. To my horror, the coin was sold minutes earlier for a fraction of what I expected. Numisbids had the wrong time. The learning was point obvious (never disobey your wife).

• Cry 1
  • Heart 1

• Benefactor

I skipped this iteration. There were several coins I was interested in, but I was on the fence because I just always seem to pay close to my max at this auction house.

When I purchased a coin (Athens tet) for my son the day before, I decided that was a good sign to not participate. Looking back, the coins went for under what I would have paid, but I suspect my hammer price would have been a lot more. None were high priorities, so I'm good with that.

• Like 3

This is one of only three coins, which I won at the Leu auction:

Crispus, Caesar, 316-326. Follis (Bronze, 19 mm, 3.53 g), Aquileia, 321. CRISPVS NOB CAES Laureate and cuirassed bust of Crispus to left, holding horse by bridle with his right hand and shield on his left shoulder. Rev. CAESARVM NOSTRORVM around wreath containing VOT / X; in exergue, •AQS•. Paolucci-Zub 303. RIC 98. Very rare. A beautiful example of this prestigious issue with a particularly fine rendering of this impressive bust type. Some deposits on the obverse, otherwise, good very fine.

I have long been after a coin with this portrait, which shows Crispus with a horse. I wonder what the meaning of it is. Maybe the cavalry played a particularly important role during his campaigns against the Franks and the Alamanni. This campaign took place in 318, 319 or 320. Its main aim was apprently to gain prestige for the young Caesar. While I could not find anything about the cavalry being particularly important in this campaign, I think that contemporaries would have understood the significance of the horse on these coins.

11.PNG

Edited by Tejas
  • Like 22
  • Heart Eyes 1

I won two this time around:

Screenshot_20240715-200553.png.027ffe77dd2b5c61441d52fc0b8986fd.png

Gratian, 367-383. Siliqua (Silver, 19 mm, 2.09 g, 11 h), Antiochia, 367-375. D N GRATI-ANVS AVG Pearl-diademed, draped and cuirassed bust of Gratian to right. Rev. VOT / X / MVLT / XX in four lines within wreath; in exergue, •ANTI. RIC 34f.9.

Screenshot_20240716-103158.png.7396abb1ee9bec0c6a3bb69f50911e2a.png

Gallienus, 253-268. Antoninianus (Billon, 22 mm, 3.13 g, 7 h), Cologne, 257-258. GALLIENVS•P•F•AVG Radiate and cuirassed bust of Gallienus to right. Rev. VIRTVS AVGG Gallienus standing right in military attire, holding spear in his right hand and signum in his left. Cohen 1309. MIR 882l. RIC 58 ('Lugdunum').

The Gratian is my first siliqua and first Gratian so happy to expand the collection in that way. And the Gallienus is an interesting die variety where the emperor is standing with the cloak straight down, while the vast majority have the emperor advancing with his cloak flowing behind him.

• Like 21
  • Heart Eyes 2

On 7/14/2024 at 1:52 PM, Restitutor said:

Prices were 🤯 

....is that the emoji for "high"?!?   ...kewl man...^^   and congrats on coming out strong with some serious  wins too!  

Edited by ominus1

Posted · Administrator
21 hours ago, DonnaML said:

I had several Roman Provincials on my watch list but somehow forgot about the auction until that day's session was over. Naturally, they all sold at low, low prices. I try to tell myself that if I had bid on them, the person who won them  would probably have driven the prices up to unreasonable levels. But it's small consolation for my own forgetfulness.

I'm going to see if I can find a way to populate the calendar here on Numis Forums with auction information directly. I've added a widget on the main stream page to show upcoming events and pre-populated with some manually. Hopefully having it here will provide another safety net to not miss an auction 🙂 

• Like 7
  • Excited 1

I also was after Roman provincial and won the very rare coin with two wrestlers for what I considered a very reasonable price, no photo available yet. I also done well with the Milavic sale at  Nomos are prices a little depressed ?.

• Like 2

• Benefactor
Posted (edited)

Having failed to bid on Day 2, I put in what I thought was a quite low maximum bid late last night in Day 4's "World Coins" auction, on a British hammered silver "minor" coin (i.e., not a crown!), in hammered silver, in what I'd call medium condition with very worn legends, but with an above-average portrait. When I woke up today, I was very surprised to find out that I'd won it, at 40 CHF less than my maximum bid. It's the first British or other world coin -- as opposed to medals -- that I've bought in well over a year, and probably the only one I'll buy for the rest of this year. I am happier than when I posted the other day! I will wait to post the photo and write-up until the coin arrives in who knows how long, given the shipping delays and other shipping issues I've had with Leu in the past. 

Edited by DonnaML
  • Like 3
  • Clap 2

I also was after Roman provincial and won the very rare coin with two wrestlers for what I considered a very reasonable price, no photo available yet. I also done well with the Milavic sale at  Nomos are prices a little depressed ?.

• Like 1

• Benefactor
Posted (edited)

Coincidentally unless Leu reads this forum, I just received my invoice about 20 minutes ago. However, Leu added 85 CHF for express shipping, and I immediately wrote back to request a substitute invoice with Leu's regular shipping charges. I neither need nor want express shipping for the single, relatively inexpensive "modern" coin I won. My previous request for Fedex shipping was under special circumstances arising from the delay and delivery issues of several months' duration in connection with the @Julius Germanicus sestertii I won last year.

Edited by DonnaML
  • Like 1

45 minutes ago, Greekcoin21 said:

I also done well with the Milavic sale at  Nomos are prices a little depressed

Milavic suffered somewhat from the juxtaposition with Kagan's star sale, plus the way they laid  it out in terms of what was being sold when caused some confusion.