Wins from Leu Web Auction 30? I got Mark Antony and Octavian

Salomons Cat

17 hours ago, DonnaML said:

Am I the only person who still hasn't received an invoice from Leu for the coin(s) they won?

Is still haven't seen an invoice from Leu. They are not the most speedy,

• Yes 1

Invoice arrived today. I generally don't post coins before I actually receive them, but this one is a bit special. Didn't have this type and I really liked the griffin.

L. Papius, 79 BC. AR Denarius (19mm, 3.76g, 9h), Rome. Obv: Head of Juno Sospita to right, wearing goat-skin headdress; behind, pentagram. Rev: L•PAPI Griffin leaping to right; below, carpenter square. Ref: Babelon (Papia) 1. Crawford 384/1. RBW 1412 var. (differing control marks). Sydenham 773. Beautifully toned. Some light scratches and the obverse a bit off center, otherwise, very fine. Ex Leu Web Auction 30 (16 July 2024), Lot 1707. 

image.jpeg.f94324db3ff431788ed7e6da71018947.jpeg

• Like 11
  • Heart Eyes 5
  • Laugh 1

9 hours ago, Edessa said:

image.jpeg.f94324db3ff431788ed7e6da71018947.jpeg

That one was on my short list. I didn't bid on it since I had already bid on others and didn't want to risk bursting my budget.
The star behind Juno and the griffin are neat !

Glad it ended in a good home !

Q

Edited by Qcumbor
  • Thanks 1
  • Yes 1

• Benefactor

I sat out this one but admittedly the collection of Empresses and other personages was most intriguing. Right now I have a few bids in on the FSR auction which ends August 1st. Those tend not to get crazy with what we witness with Leu pricing on occasion. 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/15/2024 at 3:21 PM, DonnaML said:

I had several Roman Provincials on my watch list but somehow forgot about the auction until that day's session was over. Naturally, they all sold at low, low prices. I try to tell myself that if I had bid on them, the person who won them  would probably have driven the prices up to unreasonable levels. But it's small consolation for my own forgetfulness.

Yea you had to get up really early for the auctions; and my coins were split over several days. Leu typically has high quality, hard to find coins but the prices have been increasingly ridiculous for more common filler coins. Therefore I was mostly just "window shopping" but I did purchase the followings coins; I cleared out their lots of Gordian III - Ric 172 as the prices were just to good not too:

lot 1487.jpg

lot 2446.jpg

lot 2447.jpg

lot 2448.jpg

lot 2449.jpg

• Like 5

• Benefactor
1 hour ago, -monolith- said:

Yea you had to get up really early for the auctions; and my coins were split over several days. Leu typically has high quality, hard to find coins but the prices have been increasingly ridiculous for more common filler coins. Therefore I was mostly just "window shopping" but I did purchase the followings coins; I cleared out their lots of Gordian III - Ric 172 as the prices were just to good not too:

lot 1487.jpg

lot 2446.jpg

lot 2447.jpg

lot 2448.jpg

lot 2449.jpg

Nice haul! Just curious: have they been shipped to you yet? I know that Leu is notoriously slow with shipping, but it's been a couple of weeks now since I made payment, and I've heard nothing.

• Yes 1

44 minutes ago, DonnaML said:

Nice haul! Just curious: have they been shipped to you yet? I know that Leu is notoriously slow with shipping, but it's been a couple of weeks now since I made payment, and I've heard nothing.

I won two coins and haven't had them shipped either, I'm assuming they're on summer holidays and won't ship until they're over, same as last year around this time.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 8/1/2024 at 2:17 PM, DonnaML said:

I just made the payment on Monday and my Leu account shows paid but not shipped. They may just be backlogged on sending stuff out. I have 5-6 other purchases from various Auction Houses I'm also still waiting on. I just received a delivery yesterday but haven't had time to open it. Finally shipped late Friday.

Edited by -monolith-
  • Like 2

Posted · Administrator

My account shows shipped but interestingly I didn’t get any email notification and tracking number returns “no shipment found” when entered on the Swiss post tracker site so it must have just shipped out. I paid on Jul 26.

• Like 4

I checked my account and my win is also marked as shipped. It does list a tracking number with the date August 5. Today is August 2 so I presume it will ship out on Monday. Great to know it's packaged up at least. 😀

• Like 2

• Benefactor

I received an email from Leu this morning informing me that the coin I won was also shipped on Monday Aug. 5. Hopefully it will arrive before the end of this month!

• Like 2

• Benefactor
On 7/21/2024 at 4:33 AM, Ancient Coin Hunter said:

I sat out this one but admittedly the collection of Empresses and other personages was most intriguing. Right now I have a few bids in on the FSR auction which ends August 1st. Those tend not to get crazy with what we witness with Leu pricing on occasion. 

I only won one coin in the FSR auction. Ultimately I narrowed my focus to two coins - a Gordian MARTEM PROPVGNATOREM type in the interesting Dative case "To Mars, the Defender" in preparation for the Persian War of 244 C.E. when the temple of Janus was opened for the last time in Roman history and a T. Decius DACIA type with draco head. I recall @Roman Collector's excellent article on draco standards back on CoinTalk a few years ago. Unfortunately I had construction work going on at the house that afternoon and early eve so I got distracted and forgot to up my bid on the Dacia coin so I lost it shortly before hammer time. It was an excellent example of the coin with nice strikes and lustrous silver. I did win the Gordian coin though.  Interestingly I had bought the exact same type back in 1977 at a coin shop in Hawaii which was my first Roman coin. I had moved to Hawaii from San Diego when my Dad attained the rank of Captain and took command of the frigate U.S.S. Rathburne based in Pearl Harbour. The price was $30 at the time.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 7/21/2024 at 12:07 AM, Edessa said:

Didn't have this type and I really liked the griffin.

L. Papius, 79 BC. AR Denarius (19mm, 3.76g, 9h), Rome. Obv: Head of Juno Sospita to right, wearing goat-skin headdress; behind, pentagram. Rev: L•PAPI Griffin leaping to right; below, carpenter square. Ref: Babelon (Papia) 1. Crawford 384/1. RBW 1412 var. (differing control marks). Sydenham 773. Beautifully toned. Some light scratches and the obverse a bit off center, otherwise, very fine. Ex Leu Web Auction 30 (16 July 2024), Lot 1707. 

A lovely example. I did actively start collecting these a few years back but stopped after acquiring 25 or so symbol varieties. It was becoming an expensive side collection that I could never see being complete...

• Like 1

• Benefactor

I've always wondered how orders are packed by various houses.  When I was doing auctions I would ship 100% in the order that they were paid, usually within a couple hours.  But how do others do it?  Its a mystery to me.  Over the years I've paid within seconds of an invoice, I've paid days and maybe a few times weeks later, but ship times have always been random.  And this isnt just Leu, it seems to be most.

• Like 3
  • Thinking 1