In Memoriam: stevex6

TIF

1 hour ago, ominus1 said:

this is sad news....he was a great motivator for me....i got several coins similar to Steve's...not nice as his but along the same lines....and Steve is responsible for my handle ...ominus1....if ay9ne can remember back in the day i was originally Gregarous on cointalk...until they kick Stwve off and i lost my shit and told'em to stick up the a$$ and they didn't have me off i quit...in Steve's honor,,,(well, i missed all the other peeps and the gang so i came back as ominus1 ^^).....my Dad passed away on the 24th of June after a long battle with Parkinson ...i'm having trouble grasping that in its full content...but its a journey we all must take sooner of later....thanks for the heads up @TIF and rest easy Stevex6... below is one of the coins i bought because Steve had dandy one!  

hippo coin.jpg

I remember Gregarous, and those times. 🙂. Liked that handle, it was cool.

Your WaterPig coin is always awesome to see!

I am sorry about your Dad…

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Cointalk never was the same after Steve's departure. I always found him entertaining and loved his eccentric collecting style and always looked forward to seeing what he'd picked up this time whenever I saw a new Stevex6 thread.

My favorite Stevex6 coin will be no surprise to anyone here since I've trotted it out many times. It's one of my favorite bronzes in my entire collection, easily in my top 5 of well north of 100 RR bronzes.  I was envious of this coin when Steve bought it in CNG e-364 as it was just the best example of this overstrike I'd ever seen, so when I had the chance to buy it I just knew I had to. It was bittersweet because I always hate seeing a friend's collection sold and disassembled but I will forever cherish this coin and think of Steve and his interesting and odd posts any time I look at it. I think next time I have my coins out I'll have to get this one out to be my desk piece for a while in memory of Steve

20180202232939-726b7ab8-me(2).jpg.adcd64f30e4b5868e3a25da68d41ab21.jpg

Roman Republic Æ Triens(20mm, 5.88g, 12h), anonymous("CA" series), 209-195 B.C., Canusium(?) mint. Helmeted head of Minerva right; above, •••• / Prow right; above, ROMA; below, ••••; to right, CA. Crawford 100/3; Sydenham 309c
Overstruck on Oiniadai, Akarnania Zeus/Acheloüs, cf. BCD Akarnania 345-348 for undertype. For CA triens overstruck on Oiniadai cf. Hersh NC 1953, 14 and cf. Crawford Table XVIII, 91
Ex Stevex6 Collection via coin.ages, eBay, January 27 2018, ex RBW Collection, CNG e-auction 364, December 2 2015, lot 90, ex Stacks Coin Galleries, August 20 1986, lot 117, ex Frederick S. Knobloch Collection, Stacks May 4 1978, lot 90

• Like 12
  • Yes 1

Thank you @TIF for this beautiful tribute.  Seeing that huge collage of his old avatars made me smile, laugh and tear up, reminding me that even as we mourn his loss, we also celebrate his life, his passion, and his humour.  Thank you, Steve... good times!

The ex SteveX6 coins that I was honored to give a home to:

AntoninusPius-x6DrachmTyche2592b.jpg.26f037ec3ce8d44a74cfba5cc5343db7.jpgCaracalla-x6AntoninianusOxenBiga2588.jpg.9a54760b889f40cd2c3a3213322ad617.jpgCaracalla-x6DenAdventvsGalley2589.jpg.4eb9a32eeb29cde7df750e8f8eb985ce.jpgMacedonEion-x6Obol2594.jpg.699dc3432118d6423bdb5fe7e7eb1639.jpgNerva-x6DidrachmCappadociaClub2591.jpg.776ac2e63480156a4425d3848c8b5692.jpgMacedon-x6PhilipV-2goats2593.jpg.54b16d8d1f3396e5325e3c8e5932d4ed.jpgThessalyTrikka-x6HemidrachmBCD2595.jpg.af9ac5de2f36884db41da7a67771d9e3.jpgTitus-x6PhoeniciaBerytusAE252590.jpg.318658f392f7822f12e48b29b278aff2.jpgBITHYNIAPrusiasII-Chironexstevex6new2889.JPG.08af6610d38d32f701badb132469ec67.JPGTHESSALYPharsalos-ARDrachmexstevex6BCD3103.jpg.abfbdb94c1534f77ef4f55ddb3c28ee4.jpgJovian-AE1exstevex6TESG3104.JPG.a9f6ab821cea79886a2eaabafeca085f.JPGConstantineII-CampgateTAcRLstevex62805.jpg.14e8a875adeef63bc3feff8a5a74a4ba.jpg

Ebusus.jpg.90054d25df468f040b6717d5a43ca2e7.jpg

• Like 14
  • Heart Eyes 3

• Benefactor

Really sorry to hear about Steve. ☹️

His entertaining posts were a big reason I kept reading coin talk after casually finding the forum in a web search for ancient coins. His outrageous sense of humor and creative writing style were very unique. I always looked forward to seeing new posts from him. He had a great eye for coins and their stories and what made them unique. His observations made me see many coins in a new light.

The only coin I have from Steve's collection is this beautiful stater from Tarentum. He always referred to this as the angry dolphin coin based on the scowl on the dolphins face. 

John

tarentumstater4a.jpg.a1327917423985435293225c65a31824.jpg

• Like 12
  • Heart Eyes 1

Posted · Supporter

Here is Steve's obituary, sent by his beautiful wife Deise.  This may be the first obit I've read that made me smile and laugh... so appropriate, considering the person it is about 😁.

Take Steve's advice-- go for a walk with your dog today.  If you don't have a dog, adopt one 🥰.

----------------------------

It is with great sadness we announce the passing of Stephen (Bo) Mark Peterson from cancer on Wednesday July 10, 2024, one month shy of his 61st birthday.

After successfully beating cancer three times in his life, this fourth bout proved unbeatable.  As he wished, the end was private and peaceful with only his devoted wife Deise Peterson and loyal dog Hector at his side; his final thoughts and comments were of his family.

Those who knew and loved him would not be surprised to learn Bo thought his obituary should simply be that he loved dogs and was a fast runner.  However, he conceded to include other details.

Bo was predeceased by his parents, Ben and Barb Peterson, and sister-in-law Elizabeth Jakubec.  In addition to Deise and Hector he leaves to mourn his siblings Eric (Tina), Chris (Linda), Jill (Doug) Kot and in-laws Carlos and Maria Duarte, sister/brothers-in-law Celia (Joe) Trozzo, Cory Jakubec and Dave (Terri) Duarte, and numerous nieces and nephews.  Friends Bo considered family include Gus, Barry, Whip, DePaoli, Nabber, Wes, and Jeff.

Bo would not want to dwell on the boring (work\education) stuff, but it should be noted that he graduated from UBC in 1991 with an Engineering Degree, moved to Thompson Manitoba to work for INCO, now Vale, as a mining engineer. Despite living there for almost thirty years he continued to be affectionately known as “BC Boy”.  It was in Thompson where he met and married Deise, the love of his life. 

Back to the boring stuff - during his time at INCO, he earned his Masters Degree (Science) from the University of Alberta, a fact very few people knew.

At this point, he would want to remind everyone that he loved dogs and was a fast runner!

Steve was loved and admired by all who worked for him and although he claimed to rule the office with an iron fist, he was a kind and caring boss lovingly referred to as their iron “fish”.  

Steve retired from Vale and moved back home to BC where he continued to recover from his third bout of cancer and got to enjoy some wonderful years of retirement away from the cold Northern Manitoba winters.

He will forever be remembered for his incredible (though not always appropriate) sense of humour. He was always the life of the party, at every party; naturally.  He brightened the mood and morale just by being himself.

Bo was a very good athlete, with soccer and lacrosse as his focus in his younger years.  He also enjoyed golf - though he liked the walk more than the game and rarely kept score.  His true passions were riding his high-end bikes and walking his dogs.  He exercised every day and maintained a high level of fitness right until the end. 

He was also an avid landscaper and gardener and was known for moving vast amounts of soil and gravel with only a hand shovel and wheelbarrow, and for his precision in lawn-mowing (some might say obsession).

He happily organized many sports pools (football, baseball, hockey, basketball, soccer, tennis, golf, curling, Formula 1 car racing), and even had the family picking favorites for the Triple Crown horse races this summer.  His organizational and mathematical skills were excellent, and he put his background as a mining engineer to good use. 

Anyone who participated in his legendary NFL or NHL pools would attest to the weekly comments being more important than the results; and to NEVER request or suggest a certain nickname…it was never what you requested, always scathing, but hilarious… and it stuck.

Bo was a soft-hearted animal lover (and fast runner!); many dogs had the good fortune to be part of Bo and Deise’s world over the years - Basil, Buster, and Larry (his only “girl” dog) were such an incredible source of joy and pride.  Hector continued to keep Bo active and happy to the end. 

Bo was fun to be around, and was always entertaining in his stories, irreverent in his perspective, and able to find humour in virtually every situation; he brought laughter to a cancer ward – not an easy feat.

He was a wonderful person, absolutely devoted to Deise and Hector, and loved by so many.  He will be dearly missed.

Celebration of life will be planned at a later date. 

In lieu of flowers he would prefer you spend some extra time with your dog today.  Take a long walk, let them pick the route and set the pace.  Stand there while they sniff and look around at the wonderful world.

For those that don’t have a dog, Bo would tell you to rethink your life choices and donate money to your local Humane Society. 

Most importantly, Bo loved dogs and was a fast runner.

spacer.png

• Like 22
  • Thanks 1
  • Heart 5
  • Heart Eyes 2
  • Mind blown 1
  • Smile 1

That was one of the best celebrations of life I have ever read. Sums up what I knew of Steve, and a lot I didn't, with the humor of his that I recall fondly. Did you know he was a fast runner??? 🤣

I will be sure to give my doggos an extra long scratch and a few more treats today in his honor. Sadly, I can't walk them right now since I injured my hand. When I can, I will take them on a nice long walk too.

You will be missed, Steve.

• Like 4
  • Heart Eyes 2

• 4 weeks later...

Anyone who knows me will know it is no shock that I just saw this memorial to Steve a month after it was posted.  I never was much on timeliness and, since I have stopped buying coins, this is unlikely to change.  I enjoyed knowing Steve when we left that first place when he was booted and continued through that second place (which shall remain nameless - does it still exist?).  I apologize to Steve and the others among our friend when I suggested we move over to the second place.  We continued corresponding up to the last day when I failed to open the note until it was time for the MAiD.  Typical.  However, I prefer not to think of him differently now since we still communicate through thoughts.    

There are three coins in my collection from the great X6 collection.  Two came from that final sell off (January 2019) but my favorite was the Kyzikos tetartemorion we transferred in 2017.  I forget what I gave him for it.  Pound for pound it is a real favorite.g61523aa1545.jpg.070cda50f39eedbb9cdd4c7bf3802655.jpg

The others: 

Boetia o/s on Antigonas Gonatas AE18 

g41164fd3471.jpg.80cf57b29e3cabc0c23a76f019daaa14.jpg

Antoninus Pius, Alexandria diobol (what hole?  I don't see no hole! Neither did Steve.)

pa0262fd3472.jpg.7a35b00a4f12c2241039144880abd22c.jpg

Missed

• Like 8
  • Heart 4
  • Heart Eyes 2
  • Thinking 1

Just saw this sad thread/ I will really miss Him. He had a beautifull sense of humor/ the best of the best. Bet he is just as cheerfull and witty up there in Heaven as he was here. A truly wonderfull person/ he will be missed by all of us.

John

• Like 2