Strange coin like object VOTIS XX

Whenever you see doubled up letters think plural. AVGG NN = Augusti nostrorum (our lords)

I would guess later, maybe to the reign of Valentinian I and Valens, after an edict by Julian II for regional taxes to be melted down into bullion before handing it over to the mints (as an anti-counterfeiting measure).

Rasiel

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Thinking 1

8 hours ago, Romismatist said:

Never seen anything like this before. Based on the style, are you sure it's not a modern fantasy piece?

Yes, it's found in the river Waal, Gelderland, The Netherlands and bought by the museum in 1898.

There's another one here, sold privately, also found in the river Waal, but more recently in the 1930s.

image.png.0c5e80b46b0232713399d9aadf88ba09.png

The weights of these are interesting. The RMO one weighs 306g, and the above one 303g.

Somtimes these types of largitio (= largess) weigh a roman pound (libre) of c.329g, which seems less random, but evidentially this weight of c.305g was also a standard for these gifts, per the above pieces and also a series of silver dishes given by Licinius of same weight such as this one in the BM of 304.6g (another Vienna 308g).

https://www.britishmuseum.org/collection/object/H_1969-0904-1

I'd be curious if anyone knows anything about this ~305g (11 unciae) weight standard.

Edited by Heliodromus