Good surprise with a very rare Egyptian amulet from Sedart.com

Hi everybody,

I received today a very rare amulet, which I believed to be a Sobek-Amun-Re. To my knowledge there is a single parallel in the Israel Museum #97.63.80 badly damaged.

The first good surprise is that the amulet is larger than described: L 6.0, W 1.7, H 1.8 instead of L 5.0, W 1.5 and H 1.5 as advertised by Sedart.com. For such small artifact this is important. 

The second good surprise is that Sedart.com sent me the original COA of the previous owner. First time I am receiving reliable information concerning the previous history of an artifact. Thus, I fully recommend Sedart.com!

Pictures of this amulet are attached.

Best,

Didier

Capture d’écran 2024-07-16 à 16.22.19.jpg

• Like 9
  • Heart Eyes 1

Thanks Albert. I sent my pictures above to Marcel Marée, Curator of the British Museum. Marcel confirmed that my interpretation was correct, this is a Sobek-Amun-Re amulet. Sobek because of the crocodile, Amun because of the ram's head and Re because Sobek is often represented with the double plumes of this major god. 

Best,

Didier

• Benefactor
9 hours ago, Didier Attaix said:
Hi everybody,

I received today a very rare amulet, which I believed to be a Sobek-Amun-Re. To my knowledge there is a single parallel in the Israel Museum #97.63.80 badly damaged.

The first good surprise is that the amulet is larger than described: L 6.0, W 1.7, H 1.8 instead of L 5.0, W 1.5 and H 1.5 as advertised by Sedart.com. For such small artifact this is important. 

The second good surprise is that Sedart.com sent me the original COA of the previous owner. First time I am receiving reliable information concerning the previous history of an artifact. Thus, I fully recommend Sedart.com!

Pictures of this amulet are attached.

Best,

Didier

Capture d’écran 2024-07-16 à 16.22.19.jpg

When I try going to the website you mention, it appears not to exist. Or the link doesn't work for some other reason.

Out of curiosity, what is the COA from the original owner like? Is it signed by the owner, and if so are they some authority on these types of items, or is it signed/issued by someone else who is? Just wondering since, as many of us know, COAs are often worth less than the paper they're printed on. Or is it perhaps a report/statement rather than an explicit COA, e.g. a museum curator stating it's genuine to the best of their knowledge?

Hi Kaleun,

The COA was delivered by a professional seller, Galerie Jean and Huguette Ramié, in Cannes (Azur Coast). I knew this gallery because I bought in the past several artefacts from them. It mentions the name of the initial buyer with a coloured picture of the amulet. 

Best,

Didier

Hi again Kaleun,

Not only there is a coloured picture of the amulet in the COA, but this picture is stamped by the Galerie Jean and Huguette Ramié, which is also very unusual. Thus this COA is perfect, very first time I get something like this. To end-up, the amulet was not broken and repaired in this picture. Thus, the previous owner should have broke it.

Best,

Didier