Another miss..

DimitriosL

Greetings,

After a very long hiatus i return to this beloved forum to complain about barely missing another coin. During the latest Leu auction, this little beauty caught my eye. It wasnt the most artistic depiction of hercules and Zeus had a bad case of dad body but the portrait was very expressive and the coin in general had character. Also the poliorketes drachm i wanted had skyrocketed , so this was the closest thing to an antigonid coin. Still the price barely exceeded the limit i've placed and the rest is history, in any case i am very interested to hear your opinions on this. Was 200 chf a reasonable price for a posthumous issue? Do you find the style striking as well?

IMG_6535.jpeg

• Like 9

6 minutes ago, Theodosius said:

Interesting style and an amazing full strike.

You are saying it got away?

If so, that is too bad.

John

Yep it barely went over the limit i had set but i almost instantly regretted it

• Cry 1

2 minutes ago, CPK said:

I'd say that coin was worth at least 200 CHF. Artistic, great strike, and near-mint condition.

Yeah.. i was really conflicted but in the end i regret not chasing after it. That being said 200 chf still seems a little steep to me. Leu always seems to sell coins at their maximum prices.

11 minutes ago, DimitriosL said:

Leu always seems to sell coins at their maximum prices.

There are very many Alexander drachms on the market now, but that one is wonderful, as everyone reading this thread can easily see from its enlargement. When you "lose" such a coin you can comfort yourself with the thought that the high bidder might have gone much higher. 

• Like 3
  • Yes 1

2 hours ago, Valentinian said:

There are very many Alexander drachms on the market now, but that one is wonderful, as everyone reading this thread can easily see from its enlargement. When you "lose" such a coin you can comfort yourself with the thought that the high bidder might have gone much higher. 

Thats on way to think about it. Still it seems i can never catch a break with these auctions. I end up winning my 3rd 4 rd choices because i dont want to leave empty handed 😭

• Like 1

• Benefactor

The strike and centering are extremely good and IMHO it could have gone considerably higher. Perhaps what tempered it is there were several better examples in the same sale.

Luckily, these are common coins so you'll have more opportunities, especially if you're negotiable on the mint.

• Like 1

In my early and ignorant NewStyle days, I bidded on a coin I really liked put on a generous bid . Came back and lo and behold, I lost. I regret it. Because as I became more knowledgeable, I realised it a new obverse and reverse nearly at the beginning of the series. Then the description was totally wrong and the owner and auction house hadn't a clue! I wonder if the winner did? I wonder where all these coins go to? What kind of creature just, (seemingly, randomly), collects them. What is the make-up of the average coin purchaser, most of it is secret, a little of a show -off, look what I got, can someone tell me about it...But mostly it's just collecting, for the sake of collecting. Shiney, magpie like behaviour. Without building a knowledge basis, seems pointless. I wonder where that coin is now, the owner is not on any forum I have known. Maybe all HE was interested in was the word RARE, and whether true or not became the sole reason to possess.