Caligula and Claudius "Cavinos" - After Casts?

Hi everyone,

New to the forum but hoping you all can assist with something I'm working on in my University museum. I've come across two "sestertii" that are derived from Cavino. I'm quite certain they're from Cavino as they are unique issues (my evidence below) but my question is: are these struck originals or later casts? My general assumption is that original strikes (example) would be fairly "crisp" while the later casts would degrade (example). My gut tells me these are casts but I've only worked with coins for a few years so I'm seeking some second opinions.

The two coins are "sestertii" of Caligula (obverse / reverse) (Weight is 24.5g. Diameter is 36mm.) and Claudius (obverse / reverse) (Weight is 28g. Diameter is 37mm). Videos in hands attached.

Evidence for the attribution to Cavino is below. Any help comments and critiques appreciated!

Evidence for being Cavinos

My two sources of information and reference are:  Klawans, Zander: “Imitations and inventions of Roman coins : Renaissance medals of Julius Caesar and the Roman Empire”, Society for International Numismatics, Santa Monica, 1977

and  Lawrence, R.H.: “Medals by Giovanni Cavino the Paduan”, 1883. My arguments for being from Cavino are:

The Caligula: the obverse and reverse are a very close duplication of RIC I 40, however, the reverse design on genuine sestertii lack the S-C that is present on this coin. The correct attribution is for Klawans 7 and Lawrence 13-1 (see attached PDFs).

The Claudius: The obverse is a copy of a genuine sestertius of Claudius (i.e. RIC I 115), however, the reverse design is a copy of a Vespasian type (RIC II.1 206) which would not appear to for another 20 years. The correct attribution is Klawans 4 and Lawrence 15 (see attached PDFs).

Lawerence 13-1.jpg

Lawerence 15.jpg

Klawans-4.pdf Klawans-7.pdf

• Like 1
  • Thinking 1

It is often very difficult to determine exactly whether it is a Cavino, a posthumous Cavino with original stamps or a copied stamps. Long story short - you can distinguish between the following ‘Paduans’.

1. Original Cavino designed stamps and issued in its time.
2. Embossed issues with Cavino original stamps after his death.
3. Copied stamps during his lifetime and after Cavino's death.
4. Modern stamp copies of more recent times.

Last year I spoke at length with an Italian expert who has done a lot of research on Cavino and his work.

Original Cavino stamps can be recognised by their excellent style, but also by the very detailed and sharp embossing. Copies, imitations, later editions can be easily recognised by the very soft / slightly washed-out embossing, faint lettering etc.

I think your two pieces are later copies. The typeface is soft, the depictions (portrait) are softer. Not modern copies - but ‘after Cavino’.

This is an original Cavino stamp (even if patinated later):

CAVCALIGRIC33.jpg.e635ffb8b77df069edcb03dbb7e9631d.jpg

You can find more information here:
https://www.vcoins.com/en/stores/yoshua_three_coins/315/product/_cavino_medal__rrr_caligula_three_sisters_cf_ric_33_date_3738_ad_ae_bronze_sestertius_rome/2043078/Default.aspx 

Just compare the pronounced and sharp letters on the original Cavino stamp and your two examples. Compare the heads. Compare the high-quality artistic style. I'm not a professional, of course, and it's very difficult to find experts who can make a clear assignment anyway - and even they don't always agree. But from the information I've had explained to me - your two pieces are ‘after Cavino’ - I'm pretty sure of that. Although probably ‘contemporary’ ones from an older period (not ‘cheap’ modern copies).

• Like 2
  • Clap 1

On 7/17/2024 at 5:57 PM, Prieure de Sion said:

Last year I spoke at length with an Italian expert who has done a lot of research on Cavino and his work.

Do you know the metal composition (Copper, Tin, Zinc, Lead) of Cavino and similar medals?