AI Provenance Search with Coincabinet.io

1 hour ago, Deinomenid said:

@CPKAhh sorry, yes that wasn't clear - not commercial and certainly  not for free. I meant this appears to be for personal consumption, not for sale to you and me. As in an individual buys huge numbers of rare - eg BCD's catalogues, already done - plus the freely available ones such as the great selection on r numis and has a  *functioning* coincabinet type program with an autofeeder of new auctions  into that. It's a huge competitive edge, in my view,  much as I truly appreciate  the  likes of coryssa et al.

I'm absolutely not saying that over time  this  isn't replicable,  but  if one has an edge and $$$ there's a lot that can be bought until the rest of us catch up.

For what it's worth, I'm friends with the individual(s) you're referring to and your information about how the catalogs are/will be used (and what you're implying about their motivation for acquiring them) is incorrect.

Edited by AncientJoe
  • Like 5

I’m delighted, but the Lockett stuff seemed frighteningly good don’t you think? I’m seeing very similar live results in a related field in Sweden too so it’s close. Leaps are happening rather quickly now! There’s definitely going to be a big gap between data haves and have nots. I’m not wholly convinced all will be shared with the altruism of say r numis. To put it mildly. 

Put another way, say the coincabinet data becomes very accurate then there would be a question as to what that does to premiums for the relevant coins if the information remains in the public market and to the most effective way to monetize it, assuming profit is a major motive for the owner, which is merely a presumption. Subscription model or attempt to buy in as much as possible in private, with capital backing it if needed etc. My main hope is this is only a phase where one or a few will have a large advantage over the great unwashed and the velocity of auctioned money (to coin(!)a phrase) for the provenanced is low enough that most relevant coins won’t trade in that period.

I guess I'm missing a critical aspect of your point. How exactly does an individual soaking up all the old catalogues affect anyone else? I read your argument as that meaning that said individual could deny knowledge of previous sales to the public which would, consequently, give him a huge advantage in pricing data (which he could then market to other individuals or AH's presumably).

If this is not the point you're trying make, woops, my bad. If is then I could list several reasons why it'd be a misguided effort.

Reflexively, the first thought that comes to mind if I knew someone was buying up old catalogues is that they'd want... a nice library of old catalogues. Anyone attempting to hoard this data so as to paywall it has to deal with the fact that this data is already accessible for the most part. 

Rasiel

• Like 3

For me, a pedigree adds a significant premium to a coin only if it comes from a well-known and/or prestigious collection (for Greeks: Jameson, Weber, Pozzi, Lockett and a few others...).
All these collections are well known and the catalogs of prestigious sales are already widely available. IMHO knowing that a coin came from a random Lanz auction in the 80's doesn't add a coin much value.

• Like 4
  • Yes 1

• Benefactor
10 hours ago, AncientJoe said:

For what it's worth, I'm friends with the individual(s) you're referring to and your information about how the catalogs are/will be used (and what you're implying about their motivation for acquiring them) is incorrect.

I'll just echo what Joe said. I'm also not going to discuss it out of school, but the intention is not what's been suggested.

• Like 4

13 hours ago, Deinomenid said:

@CPKAhh sorry, yes that wasn't clear - not commercial and certainly  not for free. I meant this appears to be for personal consumption, not for sale to you and me. As in an individual buys huge numbers of rare - eg BCD's catalogues, already done - plus the freely available ones such as the great selection on r numis and has a  *functioning* coincabinet type program with an autofeeder of new auctions  into that. It's a huge competitive edge, in my view,  much as I truly appreciate  the  likes of coryssa et al.

I'm absolutely not saying that over time  this  isn't replicable,  but  if one has an edge and $$$ there's a lot that can be bought until the rest of us catch up.

There is a vcoins dealer who is providing photos as proof of provenances taken from ex bcd library catalogs. 

• Like 2