Totally unexpected seller of a fake Egyptian amulet

Hi everybody,

Hixenbaugh, a very serious seller of NYC, has currently for sale a fake:

1. There is no falcon-headed goddess, I did check.

2. I do not like at all the faience, despite the provenance story: this amulet was previously for sale by Eisenberg of Athena Galleries. 

3. This amulet is unsold since 5 to 8 yrs and the price gradually decreases with time...

Best

Didier

• Benefactor
36 minutes ago, Didier Attaix said:
Hi everybody,

Hixenbaugh, a very serious seller of NYC, has currently for sale a fake:

1. There is no falcon-headed goddess, I did check.

2. I do not like at all the faience, despite the provenance story: this amulet was previously for sale by Eisenberg of Athena Galleries. 

3. This amulet is unsold since 5 to 8 yrs and the price gradually decreases with time...

Best

Didier

Have you written to Randall Hixenbaugh to express your concerns? He is usually responsive to emails.

No Donna, I don't as this is delicate. Furthermore Randall was kind enough to send me the copy of a label of an artefact previously sold by Nicholas Tano in Cairo in the 1920's, to compare with a similar label of an artefact in my collection. It turned out that my artefact was a fake with an actual label (not a copy) of Tano...

Do you think I should email Randall? 

Best,

Didier

I know the goddess Hathor had a reference to Horus in one of here names. So maybe it can be Hathor, but I have to check once at home.

I was quickly looking your reference of the dealer : beginning with coins, one of the first was a new style tetradrachm, very expensive and written used for paying the construction of the Acropolis and tje Peloponnesian Wars ?

• Shock 1

• Benefactor
10 hours ago, Didier Attaix said:

No Donna, I don't as this is delicate. Furthermore Randall was kind enough to send me the copy of a label of an artefact previously sold by Nicholas Tano in Cairo in the 1920's, to compare with a similar label of an artefact in my collection. It turned out that my artefact was a fake with an actual label (not a copy) of Tano...

Do you think I should email Randall? 

Best,

Didier

There's no harm in doing so, especially if you're polite and non-confrontational and provide decent evidence for your contention. Saying "there is no falcon-headed goddess" is not enough, unless you show how extensive your research has been on that question. Because if there is any evidence of other representations of such a goddess, I assure you that Randy will know of it.  

• Benefactor
Posted (edited)
19 minutes ago, antwerpen2306 said:

I know the goddess Hathor had a reference to Horus in one of here names. So maybe it can be Hathor, but I have to check once at home.

I was quickly looking your reference of the dealer : beginning with coins, one of the first was a new style tetradrachm, very expensive and written used for paying the construction of the Acropolis and tje Peloponnesian Wars ?

Hixenbaugh is primarily a high-end antiquities dealer in his brick-and-mortar store. Ancient coins are very much a secondary business, and are not his area of greatest expertise. They tend to be as expensive as one might expect in a Manhattan gallery.

Edited by DonnaML

• 3 weeks later...

Hi everybody,

As recommended by DonnaML, I finally did contact Randall Hixenbaugh to let him know of the sale of this possible fake. Randall immediately withdraw it of his sales, which is not surprisingly, but fully appropriate. I am copying his reply below:

Hixenbaugh.jpg

• Like 4