Two new additions

mcwyler

The postman brought a smile to my face this morning. Two new additions:-
First, my first basilikon. Common, but I'm delighted to have it…

palbas.jpg.31ff108136496773a8e051bf27987cd3.jpg

Andronicus II with Michael IX. AR Basilikon (21mm, 2.10g). Constantinople, 1304-1320. Christ, nimbate, enthroned and holding Gospels / Andronicus and Michael standing facing, holding patriarchal cross on base between them. DOC 517-24; Sear 2402.

And my first 16 Nummi (not rare but an unusual denomination and, I think, a great portrait)…

just16.jpg.ec8ec1f40f6ff43eb9e0ad044ad2f52c.jpg
Justinian I. AE 16 Nummi (22 mm, 6.27g). Thessalonica 538-552. DN IVSTINIANVS PP AVG, pearl diademed, draped, cuirassed bust right / Large I, officina letter to left, chi-rho above, SP to right, mintmark TES. Sear 178, DOC 98D.

• Like 17

Congrats on both pickups.

that 16 nummi is a very good example. I find it’s rare to come across fully struck coins on both sides, that’s really a piece to be proud of, with an excellent portrait! Tell that to your family as they look at you with a blank stare 😉 or is that just my family when I try to tell them about Byzantine coins 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, ela126 said:

Congrats on both pickups.

that 16 nummi is a very good example. I find it’s rare to come across fully struck coins on both sides, that’s really a piece to be proud of, with an excellent portrait! Tell that to your family as they look at you with a blank stare 😉 or is that just my family when I try to tell them about Byzantine coins 

Actually my mum likes Byzantine coins., she much prefers them to when I show her yet another bloody campgate!

• Like 3

• Benefactor
Posted (edited)
On 7/19/2024 at 4:46 AM, mcwyler said:

Actually my mum likes Byzantine coins., she much prefers them to when I show her yet another bloody campgate!

Well you are lucky then. Pretty much no one gives a whit about my old pieces of metal.

Edited by Ancient Coin Hunter
  • Like 1