Best-of-type Specimens: Share yours!

Salomons Cat

amazing coins in this thread - I'll add a few that may or may not be universally "best of type" - but at least I find quite enjoyable for type, in order from youngest to oldest:

Pupienus https://www.sullacoins.com/post/the-year-of-six-emperors

PupienusMaximus.jpg.eb850dedc24bfe840daefa5de36a5ffa.jpg

Vespasan https://www.sullacoins.com/post/coins-of-vespasian-from-ephesus VespasianDynasty.jpg.48526c3aae4859d86045750e718f6dfe.jpg

Brutus https://www.sullacoins.com/post/an-ancient-coin-for-independence-dayBrutusAhala2.jpg.c8d9a15485945b96073e4d6d1d50fe46.jpg

C. Piso Frugi https://www.sullacoins.com/post/frvgi-father-sonCPisoFrugiScorpion.jpg.368ab27e9304ba7e03a38752c3c6664d.jpg

• Like 10
  • Heart Eyes 6
  • Yes 2

Posted · Supporter
8 minutes ago, Sulla80 said:

amazing coins in this thread - I'll add a few that may or may not be universally "best of type" - but at least I find quite enjoyable for type, in order from youngest to oldest:

Pupienus https://www.sullacoins.com/post/the-year-of-six-emperors

PupienusMaximus.jpg.eb850dedc24bfe840daefa5de36a5ffa.jpg

Vespasan https://www.sullacoins.com/post/coins-of-vespasian-from-ephesus VespasianDynasty.jpg.48526c3aae4859d86045750e718f6dfe.jpg

Brutus https://www.sullacoins.com/post/an-ancient-coin-for-independence-dayBrutusAhala2.jpg.c8d9a15485945b96073e4d6d1d50fe46.jpg

C. Piso Frugi https://www.sullacoins.com/post/frvgi-father-sonCPisoFrugiScorpion.jpg.368ab27e9304ba7e03a38752c3c6664d.jpg

I love that Ephesian Vespasian denarius!

• Like 1
  • Yes 2

• Benefactor
Posted (edited)

I guess this coin would qualify as best of type in the collection, if for no other reason than I have yet to find another example online, retail or auction.  I'm sure there must be others, but because of my lackadaisical nature I have yet to locate another.

But there is more than just rarity.  The coin has a wonderful mix of motifs - Greek, Phoenician and Egyptian.  It is by no means a work of art, but it is a fascinating coin nonetheless.

Phoenicia, Bybos, Shekel,  435-425 BC.

Obverse: Bireme left, with three warriors and shields, hippocampus swimming below.

Reverse: Vulture (Nekhbet) with an incuse recumbent ram (Khnum) below and an apparent bird (eagle? seagull? pigeon? parrot?) in flight above facing right.

D-CameraPhoeniciaBybosShekel435-425BCjpegCNG5-14-20.jpg.c9aa99ee30a40c180250e57814fd95b3.jpg

Edited by robinjojo
  • Like 11
  • Heart 1
  • Heart Eyes 1

This was a fun thread.

From my own collection, I think this fits the description of a “best of type.” I have read through maybe 4,000 or so catalogs of ancient coins and I have never seen an example of this Julian Bull coin from Antioch that I like better. 

Julian_II_AE1.jpeg.50ba1cc3bea1ab5b677ee6d69e1af15b.jpeg

• Like 12
  • Gasp 2
  • Heart Eyes 5
  • Party 1
  • Yes 1

• Benefactor
Posted (edited)

I do have a near FDC coin of Septimius Severus with no wear (though admittedly a slightly soft strike on the reverse because of a worn die), bright lustrous silver, and an interesting type (Neptune). I have seen some for sale elsewhere but nowhere have I witnessed one in similar condition. Considering this, while it was expensive for a Severus denarius, it is worth it.

septsev1.jpg.2b0174908a346ca376561858f427c047.jpg

septsev2.jpg.fd2d771db143ea13117b67df43ec4bf4.jpg

Edited by Ancient Coin Hunter
  • Like 10

Posted · Supporter

Alright, I'll throw my hat into the ring along with @AncientCoinnoisseur and @Ancient Coin Hunter: here's my "Best of Type" Septimius Severus Neptune denarius. 😉'

SeptimiusSeverusdenariusNeptune.jpg.9a03ebad9f3da92cc5bdca77aa77c9c5.jpg

SEPTIMIUS SEVERUS, AD 193-211
AR Denarius (19.71mm, 3.70g, 12h)
Struck AD 209. Rome mint
Obverse: SEVERVS PIVS AVG, laureate head of Septimius Severus right
Reverse: P M TR P XVII COS III P P, Neptune standing left, foot on rock, right hand resting on upper leg, left hand holding long trident
References: RIC IV 228, RCV 6346
A beautiful specimen, choice EF with lustrous fields, perfectly centered on a large and heavy flan.
From the Mark Salton Collection (1914-2005)

• Like 9
  • Heart 1
  • Heart Eyes 4
  • Yes 1

This is most likely the best of type Trajan with she wolf quadrans 

image.png.af0c026cb9334e34e4375c03b0f6751f.png

20 mm, 3,01 g.
Trajan 98-117 AD. Æ quadrans. Rome. 114-117.
IMP TRAIANO AVG GER DAC P M TR P COS VI P P, head of Trajan, laureate, right / S C, She-wolf walking right.
RIC II Trajan 693.

• Like 12

12 hours ago, ambr0zie said:

This is most likely the best of type Trajan with she wolf quadrans 

image.png.af0c026cb9334e34e4375c03b0f6751f.png

20 mm, 3,01 g.
Trajan 98-117 AD. Æ quadrans. Rome. 114-117.
IMP TRAIANO AVG GER DAC P M TR P COS VI P P, head of Trajan, laureate, right / S C, She-wolf walking right.
RIC II Trajan 693.

I dunno Ambroze, don't want to be a downer but some stiff competition here

Rasiel

Untitled-1.jpg

• Like 7

15 minutes ago, rasiel said:

I dunno Ambroze, don't want to be a downer but some stiff competition here

Rasiel

Untitled-1.jpg

To be fair, they're not the same type - the type with that obverse legend is rare.

• Yes 1

As grungy as this coin looks it is the best of the four known specimens:

Province, City - Reign:  Syria, Cyrrhestica. Cyrrhus - Trajan

Mint:  Cyrrhestica. Cyrrhus (98 – 117 AD)

Obverse: ΑΥΤΟΚΡ ΚΑΙ ΝΕΡ ΤΡΑΙΑΝΟϹ ΑΡΙϹΤ ϹΕΒ ΓΕΡΜ ΔΑ, Laureate and draped bust of Trajan, right, seen from rear

ReverseΚΥΡΡΗϹ - ΤωΝ – Β, Within laurel-wreath

References: Butcher CRS, 442-446; RPC Online III, 3441 (specimen #4)

lot 154.jpg

Edited by -monolith-
  • Like 7

A very rare Greek Hiketas, this is one of the best known specimens:

Province, City - Reign:  Sicily, Syracuse - Hiketas

Denomination:  AE Litra

Mint:  Syracuse (287-278 BC)

Obverse: ΔΙΟΣ ΕΛΛΑΝΙΟΥ, Youthful, laureate head of Zeus Hellanios right

ReverseΣΥΡΑΚΟΣΙΩΝ, Eagle with spread wings standing left on thunderbolt; A above star in left field

References: SNG Cop 796; SNG ANS 803-806; HGC 2 1449 (s); (Calciati) CNS II, p. 313, 168 (a)

LOT 59.jpg

Edited by -monolith-
  • Like 7

This Hieron II is definitely one of the best:

Province, City - Reign:  Sicily, Syracuse - Hieron II

Denomination: AE Litra (Punic War Issue)

Mint:  Syracuse (275 – 215 BC)

Obverse: Head of Poseidon left, wearing tainia, border of dots

Reverse: Ornamented trident flanked by two dolphins swimming downwards; IEPΩ-NOΣ across field; Θ Φ flanking base

References: BMCG 2. 218. 609; SNG Cop 850; HGC 2, 1550

lot 95.jpg

Edited by -monolith-
  • Like 5

4 hours ago, rasiel said:

Sorry, my bad! I misinterpreted what you meant by "type".

Rasiel

My phrasing was confusing. I remember I was collecting for a few days when I bought this coin and I was checking it in ERIC (still my favorite numismatic resource), so you certainly don't need to apologize.

This one is mine. Lucius Verus. Absolute steal at a small auction still can't believe I won it. 

PHRYGIA, Stectorium. Lucius Verus, 161-169 AD. AE, 30mm, 17.24g. Flavius Likinnianos, magistrate. Struck circa AD 161-2. Bareheaded, draped, and cuirassed bust right. R. Zeus seated left, holding Nike and long scepter. RPC IV.2 Online 2165; SNG Righetti 1221. Brown patina, minor deposits. Good VF. Extremely rare, only three known to RPC, all from the same dies.

1100013053.jpeg

Edited by AlexandersNumismatics
Added coin description and reference.
  • Like 4
  • Heart Eyes 2

This is a quite common Satyr from Panticapaeum / Pantikapaion in Crimea. There are many around in very nice condition, with very pretty patinas. But I have never seen one that beats it in terms of the artistry of the die, the dark patina (which I think complements the theme of the coin), the condition, and the centering.

There is a lot of competition, but I haven't seen its equal. I'd love to see other examples!

image.jpeg.cbc7379f57aac9a90dac728e03fee844.jpeg

Cimmerian Bosporos. Pantikapaion circa 325-310 BC.
Æ 21 mm, 7.69g
Bearded head of satyr right / Π - Α - Ν, forepart of griffin left; below, sturgeon left.

Edited by Bonshaw
  • Like 7
  • Clap 1
  • Gasp 1
  • Heart Eyes 2

50 minutes ago, Bonshaw said:

There is a lot of competition, but I haven't seen its equal. I'd love to see other examples!

That's a very serious candidate for the best of its type. 

Edited by ambr0zie
  • Thanks 1
  • Yes 4

Have not shown this one for a while. Supposed to be extremely rare, possibly unique. I guess that makes it best of type.

Roman Egypt, Alexandria. Julia Mamaea, Augusta, AD 222-235. Billon Tetradrachm (23.4mm, 10.70g, 12h). Dated RY 8 of Severus Alexander (AD 228/229). Obv: IOV ΛIA MAMEA CЄB MHT CЄB CTPA; Draped bust right, wearing stephane. Rev: Helmeted bust of Athena Parthenos right, wearing aegis; L-H (date) in right field. Ref: Köln – ; Dattari (Savio) –; K&G –; Curtis 1122 (this coin) = Emmett 3195.8 (R5); RPC VI, 10396 (this coin, 1 specimen). Very Fine, dark brown surfaces with touches of red, die flaw on aegis. Extremely rare if not possibly unique. From the New Orleans Collection, purchased from Nilus Coins (November 1998). Ex James W. Curtis Collection, no. 1122. Ex CNG 109, Lot 504. CNG Note: Alexandrian coinage for Julia Mamaea from Severus Alexander’s regnal year 8 is extremely rare, with only three tetradrachm types reported by Emmett (Athena bust right, Nike flying left, and Tyche standing left; all R5). Severus’ RY 8 coinage is also extremely rare with only seven types reported by Emmett. Obviously, the Alexandrian mint was barely active during this particular regnal year.

image.jpeg.035c898bef78fb97d199f2cb5824484b.jpeg

• Like 6
  • Clap 1
  • Heart Eyes 5