Seen a nice coin, but not buying yourself? Share it here!

This might be a nice topic for this forum: did you see a nice coin online that you're not going to buy? Share it here and you might make someone else happy. I propose three rules:

1. No coins that you're selling yourself.

2. Add a brief remark, why you think this is a nice coin to buy (good bargain, great historic story, good quality, etc.).

3. (Update 04-09-2024) PLEASE DON'T SHARE ACTIVE AUCTION LINKS, ONLY COINS ON VCOINS, MA-SHOPS, DELCAMPE, EBAY, ETC.

For a start, how about this nice aureus? It's above my budget (11.900,- Euro) but it's a gem! I like it because it's an aureus from Marcus Aurelius: the good, stoïc emperor. It's in great condition and the price seems low to me for this coin type and quality.

Marcus Aurelius (161-180) AV Aureus
Rome, struck AD 169.
Av: ANTONINVS AVG TR P XXIIII, Laureate, draped and cuirassed bust right.
Rv: FELICITAS AVG COS III, Felicitas standing left, holding caduceus and vertical scepter.
RIC 201, Cálico 1850a, BMCRE 489, Biaggi 847, Mazzini 177.

Needle sharp with lovely rose color toning. NGC grade AU; Strike: 5/5; Surface: 4/5, edge scuff. Fine Style.
Removed NGC Case.
Ex. Austrian Auction House
Ex. New York Sale
(source: https://www.ma-shops.nl/kalchhauser/item.php?id=1280)

1280_dsc09381_c.jpg

Edited by Coinmaster
Good additional rule (no. 3), as requested.
  • Like 10
  • Heart Eyes 2

I regret not bidding more aggressively on this Auggie from last week's Leu sale

01857q00.jpg.addef7699d815e74068aaf950db75beb.jpg

Or this Caracalla, also from a recent Leu

00281q00.jpg.9f13db06d6eb24aa3206a9741e1fa03e.jpg

Or this Soaemias from the last NAC auction, her best denarius hands down (and if her new owner should by any chance be reading this and would consider selling pleeeease just let me know😄)

the-dioscuri-collection-the-10302409.jpg.74b2843e1f2da10151b6a704f7e3ca2b.jpg

Rasiel, a sucker for top-grade Roman portraits :- )

• Like 7
  • Cool 1
  • Excited 1
  • Heart Eyes 2

• 3 weeks later...

https://www.vcoins.com/en/stores/lodge_antiquities/88/product/valentinian_i__gold_solidus__mediolanum_struck_3645_ad___good_extremely_fine__13255/2100336/Default.aspx

He is one of the 3 Emperors of the original Roman Empire who was born in what is now Croatia, but I already have his coin, which is why I am posting this here.

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Croatian Coin Collector said:

https://www.vcoins.com/en/stores/lodge_antiquities/88/product/valentinian_i__gold_solidus__mediolanum_struck_3645_ad___good_extremely_fine__13255/2100336/Default.aspx

He is one of the 3 Emperors of the original Roman Empire who was born in what is now Croatia, but I already have his coin, which is why I am posting this here.

That's a pretty good price. If it was in Canadian dollars.

Looking to get one of these actually 👍

Rasiel

• Like 2

6 hours ago, rasiel said:

That's a pretty good price. If it was in Canadian dollars.

Looking to get one of these actually 👍

Rasiel

A Gold Solidus of his brother Valens is up for auction: https://auctions.stacksbowers.com/lots/view/3-1B9Y38/valens-ad-364-378-av-solidus-450-gms-rome-mint-4th-officina-ad-364-367-ngc-ch-au-strike-55-surface-55

2 hours ago, rasiel said:

Emperors after Julian II that were pagan: Jovian, Johannes, Eugenius, Jovinus and possibly even Romulus Augustus.

Rasiel

Um..., no, the bolded were all Christians, while Jovinus was an usurper during the reign of Honorius and not a legitimate Emperor, so he has no place in this discussion to begin with.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • Benefactor

IMHO, we shouldn't post coins that are actively at auction. For all we know someone here is interested in the coin but is simply waiting to bid live.

This coin is for sale at one of my favorite sellers. It appears very nice for the type and is extremely interesting. I debated buying it myself for the nice depiction of Elpis, but it just doesn't fit into any of my collections in any way. Therefore, I'm hoping someone here wants it so I'll no longer be tempted. 🙂 

ConstantiusIAlexandriaElpis.jpg.acd33660f96d02e819842ac98d764d83.jpg

https://bargainbinancients.com/zen/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=8&products_id=6044

• Like 5
  • Yes 1

• Benefactor
1 hour ago, kirispupis said:

IMHO, we shouldn't post coins that are actively at auction. For all we know someone here is interested in the coin but is simply waiting to bid live.

That is what is usually done. I would like to hide this topic because it would annoy me if I saw a coin posted here that I was watching and hoping it might slip under the radar.

• Like 2
  • Yes 2

2 minutes ago, Coinmaster said:

Yes, that's a great suggestion. I totaly agree. I've eddited the first post with 'rule' no. 3. Thanks @kirispupis!

I think auctions should include ALL auctions - including eBay, otherwise this thread just serves to destroy potential bargains that you yourself are not interested in. I thought this was well accepted etiquette - not to discuss current auctions?!

• Like 4
  • Yes 1