I made my own funbox.

I recently missed out on the Vaultbox 'funbox', and probably providentially so.  I endeavored to make my own funbox, at around the same price point, although I ended up spending about $20 less.  Had I stayed with the funbox, I probably would have ended up with something which I didn't care about, like a nickel or a penny.

None of these coins are exceptional, but I had fun with it, and the Maurice is quite nice, for a $35 coin.  I don't really collect LRB's but the Maximianus is just so darn cute.  The Justin/Justinian I also managed to be cute in person.  It's probably also my first intentional pentanummia buy.  The Maurice was the coin which I wanted.  Everything else was built around it.

Another thing which I like about buying from this dealer is that I don't have to bother with making an ID tag.  Everything's included.

MauriceTiberius-582-602-AE40nummia-CON35mm11.74gYr8gamma.jpg.d88d3f625d89470070adaa432da8c199.jpg

Maurice Tiberius AE35 Follis. Constantinople. year 7 (sic) (8)

582-602 AD.  11.74g.  Γ officina. Sear 494

DivusMaximianusunderConstantineI-AE1-4Follis-16mm1.27gREQVIESOPTIMORMERIT.jpg.791da3d90d76c22df68b2047095a282f.jpg

DIVO MAXIMIANUS AE16 Quarter Follis.  Struck under Constantine I

Obv:  Laureate and veiled bust right.  DIVO MAXIMIANO SEN FORT IMP.  

Rev: Veiled emperor seated left.   REQVIES OPTIMOR MERIT QQNN

Siscia Mint.  RIC VII 41.  Struck under Constantine I in 317-318AD.  1.27g.

JustinIJustinianI-AE5nummia-Antioch-14mm2_56g.jpg.4308fca965a9bffdaf6dc7a0e952e38d.jpg

ustin I & Justinian I AE14 Pentanummium Tyche of Antioch in temple.  Antioch

River God swims below.  SB#133.  2.56g.

AriobarzanesIIIEusebes-52-42BC-ARDrachm-17mm2.88ghasfindpatina.jpg.e6a25e4e7308a74eb50125bb770acf62.jpg

Kings of Cappadocia. Ariobarzanes III Eusebes Philoromaios AR17 Drachm

Obv: Diademed head right.

Rev: Athena standing left, holding Nike in her right and spear in her left hand resting on shield, star and crescent to inner left, monogram to inner right, date in exergue.  ΒΑΣΙΛΕΩΣ ΑΡΙΟΒΑΡΖΑΝΟΥ ΕΥΣΕΒΟΥΣ ΚΑΙ ΦΙΛΟΡΩΜΑΙΟΥ.

52-42 BC.  2.88g.  Still has some earthen toning from 'find' patina.

ConstansII-641-668-AE40nummia-Constantinople19x26mm__gS1006Yr3A.jpg.1e9e30fd5c2c379208ccd20024483e89.jpg

Constans II (641-668) AE 40 nummia, 19x26mm, no weight given.  Year 3, A.

• Like 6

The 'fun box' list of stuff is here https://vaultbox.com/distribution/funbox-july-2024-distribution/  .

Thanks!  The Maurice is darker in person.  It's no world beater but is quite nice for the low price point.  My favorite 494 came from Allen Berman, many years ago.  The rest of the coins were fun in the moment but are kind of forgettable.  It was, however, a cheap way to check off having a dual Justin/Justinian portrait.

The funbox is basically a distro with a lower price point.  There's also less valuable 'hits'.  About the best one will do is a Morgan or a gold nugget.

Since my one and only U.S. coin order disappeared in the mail (was a nice toner), I'd like to at least own a toner Morgan, although I'd pretty much be one and done for U.S. coins.

But for $165 and expensive shipping I'd be better off just to get one from my LCS.