Lucilla and Lucius Verus from a mystery mint.

Bid home this rarity at Agora today. RPC only lists one other specimen, and I cant find any others in online records, making this the second known to me.

RPC lists both the region and mint site as uncertain for this type, and another similar type. But I am convinced that these coins were minted at Parium in Mysia. Style, design and Latin inscriptions fit perfectly with contemporary types minted at Parium.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

5784716_1720190777.jpg.f4b0c22e26fb9251e3a046c5c08261d9.jpg

Lucilla, with Lucius Verus. Æ (20mm, 4.10 g, 2h) Parium, Mysia ca. AD 163-169. IMP VERV[S] AVG, laureate-headed bust of Lucius Verus wearing cuirass and paludamentum, right, seen from centre / [VERVS?] LVCI [AVG??], to left, bare-headed bust of Lucius Verus wearing cuirass and paludamentum right; to right, draped bust of Lucilla, left. RPC IV.3, 8341 (temporary).

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

• Like 13

Congratulations on your win, @Michael Stolt. I agree, this must be Parium. I find these dynastic issues with latin legends from Parium very intriguing. Here's mine (same obverse die):

Lucius Verus, with Lucilla, Hemiassarion or 'Semis' (19 mm, 3.87 g), Mysia, Parium, 161-169 AD.
Obv. IMP VERVS AVG, laureate bust of Lucius Verus, r., draped and cuirassed. Rev. LVCI VERVS AVG (?), bare-headed, draped busts of Lucilla, on the left, and Lucius Verus, on the right, facing one another. RPC IV.3 11657 temp. (?).

906_rtk3FYb43e_th.jpg.ace0619d12618195936eaca2d11ac750.jpg

Edited by SimonW
  • Like 4