bounty of the sea

I was aimlessly searching for coins when I came across new listings of Antioch tetradrachms.  Some of the lower priced ones had really low weights.  I made an enquiry and was told the coins were sea finds, and that various amounts of base metals had been leached out.  If I wanted to stay in the sub-$300 price point, my choices were this Galba or a very corroded (and super-duper lightweight) Otho.  This was only $20 more than the Otho and I think I made the right choice.  It has much less wear than the full weight ones and I'm okay with sacrificing two grams to get a pretty decent coin for $200-something less.

The piece is VF by wear, has a nice portrait, and is better than the two decrepit Sestertii I have.

Galba-68-69ARTetradrachm-Antioch-Prieur100RPC419828mm10.0g(seafind).jpg.3f10fb5bf1e5575ea567dd65e11fd0b9.jpg

GALBA AR silver tetradrachm. Antioch, 68-69 AD. AUTOKRATwR GALBAC KAICAR CEBACTOC, bare head right. Reverse - ETOUC B, Eagle standing facing on opposed laurel branches, head left, wreath in beak, palm in left field. Prieur 100; RPC 4198. 28mm, 10.0g.

Do you have any sea find coins? 

• Like 10
  • Heart Eyes 2

The ship evidently foundered during Vespasian's time or perhaps early in Domitian's.

The slab/tooling thread brought up an interesting point about modern-day collectors being less willing to accept high degrees of smoothing.   I'm largely in that camp yet I am willing to put up with certain types and levels of environmental damage.

• Like 1

• Benefactor

I have an Alexandria tet of Galba which is very underweight by about 4-5 grams. Not sure how that happened but it might also be a water find. If not, heavily corroded and crystallized. The bottom line is that I am not sure. 

Galba, A.D. 68-69 Grade: VF+ light grey toning

Catalog: Köln 233-4; Dattari (Savio) 310; K&G 17.14;

Material: Billon Weight: 7.18 g Diameter: 24.00 mm

Obverse: ΣEΡOΥI ΓAΛBA AΥTOK KAIΣ ΣEBA, Laureate head right; L B (date) before

Reverse: EΛEΥ-ϑEΡI, Eleutheria standing left, resting elbow on column, holding wreath and scepter; to left, simpulum galba1.jpg.e558b8e3b651c80717d5655afb84cff8.jpg

• Like 6

Most of the coins that suffer from porosity are typically silver. It's caused when the base metal is "leeched" out thus leaving a rough surface and a lighter coin. This occurs most often to coins that were buried but can also be caused by long exposure to salt water. It's difficult to tell which method caused the porosity unless there are traces of dirt (buried) or "barnacles" (salt water).

I believe these Gordian III sestertii were recovered from the ocean due to the deposits on top of the coins patina: 

photo.jpg

photo.jpg

These BI Antoninianus have had the base metal leeched from them therefore leaving behind a rough porous surface.

lot 522.jpg

lot 480.jpg

Edited by -monolith-
  • Like 4