Making labels.

JayAg47

I’ve been putting it off for a while now, and just got around to make these attribution labels. I didn’t print off anything, just a simple handwritten tags with basic information. The album itself comes with a labelling page, but I shuffle coins with new additions, so having individual labels are better.
9116DD7D-333B-4E5A-927A-C477FFA88FEC.jpeg.d796deb4804d1c514bd0fb89b6710dce.jpeg

please share your set-ups! 

• Like 14

You are not alone with your handwritten labels.

Here are some handwritten labels from famous collections:

Dr. Robert Friedinger-Pranter:

normal_Philippus_II_4.jpg.5cceebbb39a5676ee2e144b63b13bf38.jpg

BCD

normal_G_375_Ekkara_fac.jpg.30e30c81cfc44c54c88a8b1f2bfd6eb1.jpg

Stancomb Collection

915425553_normal_Augustus_R695(1).jpg.d276fb89023ac3edc4d9c5cbf41ad4fa.jpg

coin gallery Leiden

normal_Commodus_03.jpg.9d131725aa6656cd9099a287de86319f.jpg

Edited by shanxi
  • Like 19

• 1 year later...
On 7/23/2022 at 8:01 AM, LouisvilleKYShop said:

In a few hundred years whatever write today may still be with the coin, pretty cool!  Now I'd love to see how Emperor Augustus labeled his coins he famously had!

In his slave's best Latin.  😉

I think I have organization problems with my small collection, but imagine having to deal with all those tiny scrolls!

~ Peter 

• Like 1
  • Big Smile 1

I used to make labels when I kept my coins in flips.  I since changed it up to trays.

What I do now is create a page for each coin and print it, and put it in a punch hole binder, I create the same page for coin online, like CollecOnline.

On the physical copy, I also add a QR code, which links to the online page for that coin.

I don't know if this is productive or worth it, but its fun and engaging and I have  both physical page on the coin, with photo, specs, and details, which links to the same online coin page.

It is however behind on updates as it can be a process, I try to force myself to do this at least once a month, but ya know how that goes.

• Like 3

• 2 months later...

I'm curious to see what others have done for their coin flip inserts and/or data sheets. Currently I have a data sheet for each coin which contains all the standard information, photograph, and coin flip insert. I'm still tweaking how I want to show the coin photos (full size, actual size, various coin angels, background image or color, etc.). For my flip inserts I simply copy the coin flip information to a template which allows me to print 20 labels at once.

This is a sample of one of my typical data sheets with the flip label.

ThraceMesembria-01.jpg.5053c9779a18f419ab2335971438a570.jpg

• Like 3

• Benefactor

In terms of coin labels, my current practice is to use the one that came with the coin. If it didn't come with one, then I write my own.

I currently auto-generate album pages similar to the below.

album_page.jpg.e9f02ec6942e911c282eea642c16c7dd.jpg

The biggest positives I've received are the small blurbs about each coin and the photo tag where someone can find out more about the coin on my website

In terms of areas to improve, perhaps the biggest is that many of my coins are too tiny to see the details. I'm therefore considering a new layout that would include a larger image of the coin. I'm also thinking to auto-generate the coin labels too in order for things to be more uniform.

• Like 2

I make hand written labels or tags for all of my coins, and also include any previous labels which came with the coins. Evolved a sort of standard format for the type of information and where it is on the label. Gives the things character.

• Like 1

On 7/23/2022 at 9:14 AM, JayAg47 said:

I’ve been putting it off for a while now, and just got around to make these attribution labels. I didn’t print off anything, just a simple handwritten tags with basic information. The album itself comes with a labelling page, but I shuffle coins with new additions, so having individual labels are better.
9116DD7D-333B-4E5A-927A-C477FFA88FEC.jpeg.d796deb4804d1c514bd0fb89b6710dce.jpeg

please share your set-ups! 

This one inch punch has served me well - <$15 on Amazon

image.png.9a9a6aa54863d6e4d9fe1589f4ddb8b4.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Benefactor

Interesting post, JayAg47.

Your album is a great way to store your coins. You have neat, legible handwriting, which I admire. I don’t—my handwriting is barely legible, and I often can’t read it myself. Consequently, I use printed labels. Although these are for 2-inch archival flips, I imagine the same system would work in a loose-leaf album.

image.jpeg.e6bbbbbcff858bc302e13432a7a35ad1.jpeg

• Like 4
  • Heart Eyes 2

On 8/24/2024 at 12:57 PM, LONGINUS said:

Your album is a great way to store your coins. You have neat, legible handwriting, which I admire. I don’t—my handwriting is barely legible, and I often can’t read it myself. Consequently, I use printed labels. Although these are for 2-inch archival flips, I imagine the same system would work in a loose-leaf album.

Looks great.

I was wondering, did you use archival paper and archival ink or just the normal one? Curious how necessary as I actually couldn't find any thing like archival ink for printers.

• Like 1

• Benefactor
Posted (edited)
11 hours ago, Lelouch said:

Looks great.

I was wondering, did you use archival paper and archival ink or just the normal one? Curious how necessary as I actually couldn't find any thing like archival ink for printers.

Welcome to the forum, Lelouch. I am looking forward to reading your posts.

I use *HP products for my labels and I'm using the heavy gauge double pocket archival coin flips. My coins never come in contact with paper or ink.

But, in the instance that my coins were to touch my label paper or ink, I would have no need to worry.

— DR

*HP Hewlett-Packard paper and ink are designed with inert, acid-free properties to ensure the longevity and quality of printed materials. The acid-free nature of HP paper helps prevent yellowing and deterioration over time, making it ideal for archival purposes and preserving important documents. Additionally, HP inks are formulated to be fade-resistant and water-resistant, ensuring that prints maintain their vibrancy and clarity for extended periods. This combination of high-quality paper and ink provides a reliable solution for both professional and personal printing needs.

Edited by LONGINUS
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

21 hours ago, Lelouch said:

Looks great.

I use Neenah acid free, archival safe paper. It's the brand used by most museums for their collections. HP is probably similar. For printing I use a laser printer with archival toner (Brother), it fuses the ink onto the paper so there's no transfer of ink to adjoining surfaces. All my coins are stored in archival safe, PVC free, flips and pages (SAFlip and BCW). 

Untitled-1.jpg.2b4d7e434646992e199a432d28a789b5.jpgflips.jpg.a14d9e5dfe83608ab3bb184c6bb1369e.jpgpages.jpg.6c78e0466d7d8559b33c4d7acddf25dc.jpg

• Thanks 3

On 8/24/2024 at 11:57 AM, LONGINUS said:

I just have to say I really like your labels there very clean and elegant. I opted for more technical (boring) labels that cram as much info into a 2" square space as you can fit.

• Clap 1