Is CoinTalk down?

I can´t access CT anymore. Sadly I didn´t copy my writeups there onto my hard drive.

Hopefully it is just some temporary technical glitch again and not the end.

When I joined they had just reached 10.000 post. When I (and everybody else here) left they had 30.000 and have not gotten much further ever since.

Then they started introducing popup adds which might not have helped either.

• Like 2
  • Yes 2

I can"t acces either - it is probably just a temporary glitch. Happens occasionally with other forums I participate in.

You say people left the CT Ancients Forum ??  I was not aware of that.

(I remember back around 2012-2013 or so there was a "mass migration", from CCF (?) over to C.T, and now now a migration from C.T over to here...?) 

• Like 1

Posted · Supporter

There are some great people still over on CT but since my membership ran out it's basically been impossible to do anything on the site, it is so completely swamped in ads. I suppose I should renew my subscription but haven't gotten around to it yet.

P.S. Thanks @Restitutor for keeping this place ad-free! I'm happy to be a supporter here to help make that possible for everyone, not just those who are able to donate.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3
  • Yes 6

1 hour ago, CPK said:

There are some great people still over on CT but since my membership ran out it's basically been impossible to do anything on the site, it is so completely swamped in ads. I suppose I should renew my subscription but haven't gotten around to it yet.

P.S. Thanks @Restitutor for keeping this place ad-free! I'm happy to be a supporter here to help make that possible for everyone, not just those who are able to donate.

AdBlock does the trick for me. I totally forgot about the ads on CT until you mentioned them!

• Like 4

26 minutes ago, Roman Collector said:

Yes, this entire site arose out of a mass migration from CT in response to the way it was being moderated.

Thank you, Roman Collector. I still participate in C.T, mainly in U.S and World Coins which I collect as well. Some good folks there. It used to be THE Forum to be in when I joined in 2007.

Ancient Collectors like to hop around it seems - I was posting in Ancients in C.T when a whole bunch of Roman collectors joined, around 2012, mass migrating from another forum ( I think it was CCF), due also to moderator issues. Member Stevex6, if he is a member here, knows all about that.   

10 minutes ago, GERMANICVS said:

Thank you, Roman Collector. I still participate in C.T, mainly in U.S and World Coins which I collect as well. Some good folks there. It used to be THE Forum to be in when I joined in 2007.

Ancient Collectors like to hop around it seems - I was posting in Ancients in C.T when a whole bunch of Roman collectors joined, around 2012, mass migrating from another forum ( I think it was CCF), due also to moderator issues. Member Stevex6, if he is a member here, knows all about that.   

It's been down since yesterday afternoon.

Stevex6 passed away.

• Cry 1

I was on CT yesterday afternoon, so it must have been shortly before it went down.

That site has gone down in a similar way numerous times over the past 10 years. My guess is that it will come back up soon. I think the longest outage lasted 3 - 4 days, if I remember correctly.

I haven't spent as much time there since this forum appeared and since my interests moved mostly to ancients. I still peruse it now and then, though. I have enjoyed the lack of "what is this worth?" and "is this an error?" type threads on this forum. Some of those used to get nasty on the other forum. Some people really don't like hearing that their treasures are actually not treasures.

• Like 2
  • Yes 1

1 hour ago, ewomack said:

Some of those used to get nasty on the other forum. Some people really don't like hearing that their treasures are actually not treasures.

The worst of the bunch are on facebook tho. 

• Like 2

Posted · Administrator
5 hours ago, CPK said:

Thank you and to all our financial supporters here who allow me to keep this site totally ad free! 

I swore when this site started that I’d never let an ad on here as it is my biggest pet peeve with the internet now-a-days and that promise will never be broken, no matter what. 

• Like 20
  • Thanks 10
  • Clap 3

15 hours ago, ewomack said:

I was on CT yesterday afternoon, so it must have been shortly before it went down.

That site has gone down in a similar way numerous times over the past 10 years. My guess is that it will come back up soon. I think the longest outage lasted 3 - 4 days, if I remember correctly.

I haven't spent as much time there since this forum appeared and since my interests moved mostly to ancients. I still peruse it now and then, though. I have enjoyed the lack of "what is this worth?" and "is this an error?" type threads on this forum. Some of those used to get nasty on the other forum. Some people really don't like hearing that their treasures are actually not treasures.

If you think CoinTalk is bad, then avoid Reddit as it’s much worse there. The feeds are infested with people asking how much their fake coins are worth. 

• Like 1

Posted · Supporter

Wish I hadn't linked so many images from CoinTalk.  So many dead links.  Hopefully CT will be back up soon, but it's a good lesson-- I'll start uploading pictures directly from my computer from now on.

Edited by TIF
  • Like 6
  • Yes 2

1 hour ago, TIF said:

Wish I hadn't linked so many images from CoinTalk.  So many dead links.  Hopefully CT will be back up soon, but it's a good lesson-- I'll start uploading pictures directly from my computer from now on.

I'm in the same boat as you, & wished I copied more of the articles I posted on CoinTalk ☹️.

• Like 1
  • Yes 1

Posted · Supporter
1 minute ago, Al Kowsky said:

I'm in the same boat as you, & wished I copied more of the articles I posted on CoinTalk ☹️.

I suspect it will be restored soon (fingers crossed!)... and I will start copying and saving favorite posts.

• Like 2

I had always been a Supporter for CT after a year of lurking and learning before I began posting.  I recall only an ad at the top of the page when I joined, and no ads when I was a Supporter.

I let my support lapse on CT when I joined Numis Forum. 

Recently, out of curiosity, I have gone back, posted, said hello to a few friends that have not posted on NF, and read a few posts.  HOWEVER, I was shocked at HOW MANY ADS there were!  I thought that since I no longer supported the site, that there would be some ads, but NOT as many as I have seen lately.  

Here is a random pic just to post a coin...

RRAnonAELitraCrawford25-3.JPG.76dfe1cbb469116d43764a2aa3f5c13e.JPG

Roman Republic

Anon AE Litra

241-235 BCE

Mars Beardless

Horse Head

Crawford 25-3; Sear 594

😄 Like Steve used to say ==>  "Just to keep it honest=>" 😄

• Like 8

An unexpected database error occurred. Please try again later.

I think this is just a simple error with MySQL that is fixed by rebooting the server. Have had this happen to me countless times. If you're not paying attention days could go by before you notice.

Rasiel

• Like 3