Is CoinTalk down?

• Benefactor
Posted (edited)

I've maintained some activity on CT, after moving to Numis Forums, on a sporadic basis.  As a non-paying member I did encounter frequent pop-up ads that were sometimes mildly annoying.  I really appreciate the non-advertisement environment of Numis Forums.

If CT is truly gone, I hope that its members consider moving to this forum.  The World section especially could do with more posts/threads.  

Edited by robinjojo
  • Like 3
  • Yes 1

I left CT for 18 months and stopped my subscription when some moron accused me of promoting rape when I posted a denarius of L Tituiri . It was pretty unpleasant with no moderator intervention so I voted with my feet. As a father of 4 daughters I took offence and as you cannot give offence only take it, I dropped out.

I did enjoy the World forum and as  a frequent USA visitor collect Morgan Dollars as  a type set but the experience made me leave.

I enjoy Numis Forums and my only spat has been when I criticised a crooked German auction house and my post was dumped  but I  do appreciate that this is a fun forum and no one welcomes litigation and the objection to my comment only highlighted the auction house in question. If they were honest it would be an open debate not threats. 

I hope the decent members of CT migrate for the benefit of NF.

This is a wonderful site and I have dropped all others as my time is limited and I have grown fond of the members. I use "fond" as an accolade.

• Like 4
  • Mind blown 3
  • Yes 1

Posted · Supporter
40 minutes ago, Croatian Coin Collector said:

I haven't been able to access Coin Talk for days, which is why I joined this forum (I remembered panzerman mentioning Numis Forums sometime back).

Welcome here!

• Like 8

45 minutes ago, Dafydd said:

some moron accused me of promoting rape when I posted a denarius of L Tituiri

I saw similar opinions on various places. Not to the point of accusing people, but still. A coin is a coin. Wanting it in the collection, owning it, liking it, doesn't mean we agree with the action on it. And again I wonder if politically correctness is well understood and applied. 

Frankly I don't get it. Human history (let alone mythology) is full of various violent/unethical episodes. Should we erase them from history? 1984? And I don't mean the year 1984, 40 years ago. 

Here is a coin I like looking at. 

image.png.e298ea35856cfb7ed4e58ae58ad68e71.png

I do not intend to grab a spear and kill people with it. Nor do I promote this action. 

I inteld to buy a M. Sergius Silus denarius that has a very gore reverse. I do not intend to copy this action either. 

I left CT because I noticed that 90% of the active people from the Ancients cateogory left. I used to access it about once a month but the acitivity was ... weak to put it mildly on the Ancients section. I had no conflicts there but I probably would have. 

• Like 5
  • Clap 1
  • Yes 1

Posted · Supporter

I suspect CT will get fixed.  Curious to know what has happened though.  Peter's other site (Partisan Lines... yuck) is up and running and CT has vastly more members, many of whom financially support the site.

• Like 4

I suppose I first came across CT about 10 years ago. As a guy who was beginning to take an interest in ancient coin collecting, but knew nothing, it blew me away.
Without participating much directly I learnt so much from the very knowledgeable people on there, a good many of whom are now here.
So I can only really regard it with affection. The internet is a crazy place full of weirdos (like the world it mirrors but more so) so we probably need moderators to keep the abuse down. After all our hobby is nothing if it's not fun and insults are not fun.

But when it's done in an inconsistent or partial - or even just baffling - way it sours the experience and people feel unfairly picked on. That's my 2 Nummi for what happened there anyway.

Never felt anything like that here.

• Like 4

• Benefactor

CT was the first site I joined after I started collecting. My first post was a story about how my Julius Caesar elephant denarius crossed the Rubicon with Caesar.

This story was of course false because he minted it afterwards, but another CT member started deriding me and telling me to “read a book”, then made fun of the condition of my coin. 
While I met many friendly people there, there were also a number of poisonous ones who didn’t migrate here.

I certainly like this forum far better and won’t miss CT if it’s truly gone.

• Like 7

I joined CT in 2012 when I inherited my late grandfather's US coin collection and started roll hunting through the bank. I met a lot of good people (most of whom migrated over here after the "troubles") but there were far more negative interactions with some real jerks. CT can stay down for all I care.

• Like 6

10 minutes ago, Furryfrog02 said:

I joined CT in 2012 when I inherited my late grandfather's US coin collection and started roll hunting through the bank. I met a lot of good people (most of whom migrated over here after the "troubles") but there were far more negative interactions with some real jerks. CT can stay down for all I care.

I got some of that. Seems like some just liked to either show off or condemn every purchase you made as too high priced or its junk.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Furryfrog02 said:

negative interactions with some real jerks

40 minutes ago, edteach said:

Seems like some just liked to either show off or condemn every purchase you made as too high priced or its junk.

3 hours ago, kirispupis said:

there were also a number of poisonous ones who didn’t migrate here.

Then let's hope they don't come here now :classic_ohmy:

Edited by shanxi
  • Like 4
  • Yes 2

7 minutes ago, shanxi said:

Then let's hope they don't come here now :classic_ohmy:

Don't get me wrong, there were a lot of people who helped out with my purchases. Pointing out things to me. But some would just pile on that these coins are so over priced and it was obviously they were doing the I paid so many dollars for a better coin back in aught 6 so that is what you should pay. Prices go up and down. There was an episode on Pawn Stars where Rick declined to buy an original Prorate of Julius Caesar Denarius life time issue as the expert said it was 1500 tops. But from what I have seen that is not in reality of the times. Maybe that was a very old show or it was done in the middle of the great recession when nothing was selling. But it was certainly worth more than 1500

• Like 1

I did not take part in any of the drama that prompted the split, but if I am allowed a story, I remember having a public argument there with someone that I eventually came to appreciate for their enthusiasm and openness -- @JeandAcre. In fact he is the one that invited me here. We got into a rather silly spat regarding the dating of the Greek Frankokratia deniers tournois and to my shame, I ended up letting my ego get ahead of me and after what I considered to be a "victory" in the "debate" I went and put the person on my ignore list for a few months. 

Thing is, the internet makes it very easy for things that people say to be misinterpreted and misconstrued and the lack in direct contact encourages unpleasant behavior. After acknowledging the same situation applied to me and after my useless belligerence on ridiculous reasons, I try to avoid the same triggers now, although I am not sure if it's a lesson learned for good. 

Thing is that it was easy to patch things up with the person and to his credit, he was very generous in our exchanges afterwards. I assume that it was easy because it did not involve the insanity of ideology putting us against each other. Once ideology gets involved, I am almost sure that regular online quarrels can turn into actual long-lasting feuds, where you stop seeing the person typing to you as an actual person with its own individuality, faults and qualities, but rather as a representative of everything you hate in life. And once that happens, I don't know if there is a turning back to civility.

Edited by seth77
  • Like 8
  • Clap 1
  • Heart 2

Posted · Administrator
9 hours ago, Roman Collector said:

So glad to hear this. While I have not participated at CT since the schism, I relied on it as an archive of all my posts there. 

Time to start moving them over as new posts once CT is back 😁 With all the new members here I’m sure lively discussion would occur 🙂 

• Like 7
  • Party 2
  • Yes 3

I may be completely wrong, but there seems to be more activity here than over there on all forums combined, at least on the new posts.

It's useful sometimes for U.S. coins (I have one coin, lol) or to keep up with the couple of ancient regulars who didn't move over.  I had gotten busy and didn't really notice that it went down for a couple of days.

If I can get that one toned Morgan, my U.S. itch would be pretty much scratched.  The post office is 0/1 so far.

• Clap 1