Is CoinTalk down?

7 hours ago, Julius Germanicus said:

Not a good sign…

FYI, Nginx is the web server, and I assume that screen is what it looks like immediately after it's been installed (with default index.html rather than one pointing to the CT web site).

From the sound of it so far they have replaced the server / hard disk and are now in process of reinstalling all the software from scratch (OS, database, Nginx ,etc). The website backup restore will be the final step.

I'm a bit surprised - this seems to be an "absentee landlord" money-making venture, so I'd have thought they would have used a turn-key server provider rather than a DIY approach.

Edit: Given that the CT web site is still (or back to) displaying the same database error that it originally was, it's not clear if it is currently pointing at the new reinstalled server or not... Also not clear if the database is running on same server as the web site, or on a separate one. Hopefully they have not gone through an unnecessary server update when the problem all along was a database error that could have been fixed.

Edited by Heliodromus

I wouldn't mind seeing all of cointalk just scrapped and start from scratch. I know there is lots of great info from the past posted on it, and some people have used it as a "folder" for their collection, but a fresh new everything on that site could go a long way.

• Like 1

• Benefactor
Posted (edited)

I imagine that the database of Coin Talk's past posts and photos will be restored eventually, but it doesn't really affect me much personally one way or the other. Every single coin write-up I ever posted in the 2 1/2 years I was active there, beginning in late January 2020, came from the two Word documents I keep (and continually update) as my own personal catalogs of ancient coins, and of world coins and medals. Besides, by this time I've probably re-posted the majority of those write-ups here. All my photos of coins are also on my computer.  The only Coin Talk posts I would really regret losing are probably my various "Top 10" lists for 2020 and 2021. If and when the database there is restored, I will find and download them.

Still, I hope it's fixed for other people's sake. And because even though there are still a few people I really like who post in the Coin Talk Ancients forum who never migrated over here, there are more people I really don't want to see here -- never mind all the Confederate flag defenders and Covid deniers; I'm specifically referring to the handful who enjoyed personally insulting me, hated my write-ups, and told me I "wouldn't be missed" when I said goodbye over there! 

Edited by DonnaML
  • Like 3
  • Heart 2
  • Yes 1

• Benefactor

I noticed, when posting to a thread in CT World Coins, that I was not able to add photos.  I know that there is a limit in the number of characters for the file title, and I made sure that my photos complied to that requirement, but still there is an issue which I assume will be resolved soon.

23 hours ago, DonnaML said:

I imagine that the database of Coin Talk's past posts and photos will be restored eventually, but it doesn't really affect me much personally one way or the other. Every single coin write-up I ever posted in the 2 1/2 years I was active there, beginning in late January 2020, came from the two Word documents I keep (and continually update) as my own personal catalogs of ancient coins, and of world coins and medals. Besides, by this time I've probably re-posted the majority of those write-ups here. All my photos of coins are also on my computer.  The only Coin Talk posts I would really regret losing are probably my various "Top 10" lists for 2020 and 2021. If and when the database there is restored, I will find and download them.

Still, I hope it's fixed for other people's sake. And because even though there are still a few people I really like who post in the Coin Talk Ancients forum who never migrated over here, there are more people I really don't want to see here -- never mind all the Confederate flag defenders and Covid deniers; I'm specifically referring to the handful who enjoyed personally insulting me, hated my write-ups, and told me I "wouldn't be missed" when I said goodbye over there! 

Hated your write-ups??? What??? They're always informative, well-written and interesting, and the pictures are often beautiful... What on earth could possibly be considered even controversial? Some people amaze me.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• Benefactor
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, mcwyler said:

Hated your write-ups??? What??? They're always informative, well-written and interesting, and the pictures are often beautiful... What on earth could possibly be considered even controversial? Some people amaze me.

Too long; too detailed. Too much like encyclopedia articles. But I suspect that the people who said things like that already disliked me for other reasons, and were just trying to be negative.

Edited by DonnaML
  • Like 3