My entire collection, in chronological order. It is interesting to see how the styles evolve through time. I am forced to stop collecting for a long time now, so enjoy!

Here is my entire collection, with a small explanation on why I decided to buy each coin in particular!

1) Euboia - Histiaia Tetrobol - Bought because: I liked the reverse and although I had to sacrifice the obverse a bit, I'm happy. Also, people from Euboia founded the first city in Magna Graecia, Cumae. [VIDEO]

1-EuboiaHistiaiaTetrobol.JPG.b1c8172b3f5b74d4df00b3f94218fbda.JPG

2) Alexander The Great Tetradrachm - Bought because: I mean, it's a lifetime tet from Alexander, minted in Babylon or by a moving mint the year he died there / the year before that. That's as close as him as we can get I guess! [VIDEO] [INFOGRAPHIC]

2-AlexanderTheGreatTetradrachm.JPG.4f8d84fa5c539107415c0aa93ae89e15.JPG

3) Campania - Neapolis Didrachm - Bought because: I like the history of Naples and the design is iconic. The man-faced bull is so dorky, and the head of Parthenope is so charming! [VIDEO]

3-CampaniaNeapolisDidrachm.JPG.56802499a7f76b41eaa9b79ba2de82a0.JPG

4) Bruttium - Rhegion AE - Bought because: I wanted a nice kithara, and it was relatively cheap, although the portraits of Magna Graecia have their beauty even in bronze coins. Look at the head of Artemis, it's gorgeous! [VIDEO]

4-BruttiumRhegionAE.JPG.66aea2308ed3e4e38222beb82076680f.JPG

5) Rhodos - Plinthophoric Drachm - Bought because: I wanted a head of Helios, given the possible association with the Colossus, and it's another iconic type. The iridescent toning truly is the cherry on top! Lovely coin and the portrait is stunning, considering how small it is! [VIDEO] [INFOGRAPHIC]

5-RhodosPlinthophoricDrachm.JPG.a2dae4c92363cd5d93da116f12879a58.JPG

6) Macedon - First Meris Tetradrachm - Bought because: Big, iconic, heavy, very pretty to look at. Should I say more? [VIDEO]

6-MacedonFirstMerisTetradrachm.JPG.64fb379109bc4534d883bf1877dbf928.JPG

7) Lucius Cassius Longinus Denarius - Bought because: It shows a man voting with a ballot inscribed V (Vti rogas), and it is a reference to the Trial of the Vestal Virgins and the Lex Cassia Tabellaria. Also, the guy was the brother of Cassius! Vesta is also unusually charming in this portrait, with the veiled styled as flowing hair. It was a rare variety I couldn't miss, quite different from the usual 'alien-looking' Vesta. [VIDEO] [INFOGRAPHIC]

7-LuciusCassiusLonginusDenarius.JPG.e9d1855be47ce1a535115a4cb35777d0.JPG

9) Quintus Cassius Longinus Denarius - Bought because: It shows a wonderful Temple of Vesta, then the urn and the tabella with AC (Absolvo / Condemno) and it is part of the series that commemorates the Trial of the Vestal Virgins. [VIDEO] [INFOGRAPHIC]

8-QuintusCassiusLonginusDenarius.JPG.3ba68f48ac9350092d56a02dc68a06a9.JPG

9) Julius Caesar Denarius - Bought because: The elephant design is iconic, and being minted by a moving mint travelling with him as he crossed the Rubicon is as close to him and history as we can get! Not a beautiful specimen, but that's what I could afford and I love it! [VIDEO] [INFOGRAPHIC]

9-JuliusCaesarDenarius.JPG.fe250a01c215370301e8b06448eabdce.JPG

10) T. Carisius Denarius - Bought because: The goddess Juno Moneta is the origin of the word for coin in many languages, and the reverse shows either the minting tools or Vulcan's tools, and in both cases it is another iconic design that I could not miss! [VIDEO] [INFOGRAPHIC]

10-TCarisiusDenarius.JPG.9f7a03010beb2b1390ae0a572ddf1b70.JPG

11) Vespasian Denarius - Bought because: I love the Capricorn design, and I was after an Augustus, although those in good shape are crazy expensive, so I went for a Vespasian. The portrait is among the best I have ever seen on Roman coinage, and the fact that it was minted the year of the Vesuvius eruption (and the year he died) makes it even more interesting! [VIDEO]

11-VespasianDenarius.JPG.0a0dbd16ce29b7165c46e3282f79d423.JPG

12) Titus Denarius - Bought because: The elephant denarius from Titus is another iconic type that commemorates the opening of the Colosseum and it is a reference to the inaugural games and the elephants that could be found there! (I had to settle for this since a Colosseum Sestertius was slightly out of my price range). [VIDEO]

12-TitusDenarius.JPG.0e2caafca51aed19ad36364fc356c47d.JPG

13) Septimius Severus Denarius - Bought because: This is one of a few coins I have that was not bought for any reason in particular, but just because it was pretty. I mean, look at it, it seems to be freshly minted! When someone who is not an expert on ancient coins imagines what a coin from Ancient Rome looks like, they expect those very worn bronzes. But this? A coin that has lasted this long in pristine condition is nothing short of amazing! And that portrait and that Neptune are hypnotising! If you have some context / know some cool story behind this coin, please let me know! [VIDEO]

13-SeptimiusSeverusDenarius.JPG.c90d9ac72a59b5700ab0e58f4a109834.JPG

14) Philip I Antoninianus - Bought because: Another iconic type, it even made the list of 100 Greatest Ancient Coins by Berk. It commemorates the LVDI SAECVLARES, but not any centennial games, no no. This one is for the 1000th anniversary since the birth of Rome! Quite the special significance if you ask me (and it's also a pleasing coin to look at! Yes, the ones with the animals might be prettier, but that is a nice cippus, I'll give him that!). [VIDEO]

14-PhilipIAntoninianus.JPG.76eef86faf37a911774594ba360b615d.JPG

15) Constantius II AE 3 - Bought because: This was my very first ancient coin, the one that got me into the hobby and that - as a rite of passage - I overpaid in a shop in Rome! I bought it without any prior knowledge in ancient coins, I was just excited to be able to handle a piece of history. To me, it was insane, I thought coins could only be found in museums or something. Well, that was the day my life changed (and my wallet cried!). Also, did you know that Constantius II brought in Rome the tallest obelisk in the world? [VIDEO

15-ConstantiusIIAE3.JPG.c92059d142a0b28d25e2478dc901c7d7.JPG

16) Charles II of Anjou - Denaro Regale - Bought because: I just wanted a pretty Medieval coin, and this one - although very small and paper-thin - was cool enough. It is heavily inspired by coins of Edward I, so it is a testament of how interconnected the economies were at the time. [VIDEO]

16-CharlesIIofAnjouDenaroRegale.JPG.382445f5f803a107051d1fe738c51381.JPG

17) Robert of Anjou - Gigliato - Bought because: It is a big, iconic Medieval coin that was copied everywhere, like this example from Sarukhan, Bey of Magnesia. [VIDEO]

17-RobertofAnjouGigliato.JPG.8efb7644c0517241cd5751ea903c09a9.JPG

And that is all, folks! I hope you enjoyed this small trip across time 🙂

Which coins are your favourites? Let me know (and feel free to show your coins if you have any from this list!)

I wish I could keep going, I love collecting ancient coins and I love even more being able to document everything I have, take high quality photos and videos, make interesting infographics and so on! But alas, I have to stop, because of many new, more important expenses. Plus, the coins I would like to acquire are now in a more expensive territory (Antoninus Pius Pharos of Alexandria Drachm, Lysimachos tetradrachm, Athens Owl Tetradrachm, Augustus Capricorn Denarius, Eukratides heroic bust, some coins with the Silphium plant and others with the seed, and so on). So I think I will spend my time studying what I have, making more informative posts and so on!

If someone of you wins the lottery though, and wants to gift me a coin, I will cherish it for life and make new infographics, ha! (Just kidding!)

Let me know what you think! 😄❤️ 

• Like 20
  • Heart Eyes 8
  • Party 1

Your infographics are fantastic. Just an idea, but why  not put that to use for $ for others. Leo Barros/Classical Numismatics does roughly that sort of thing with graphics from  coins but showing the whole coin as a drawing, and then on t-shirts etc. I know  nothing of the  time  involved,  or the extent to which you'd offer something  similar to  him, but it's a great niche.

1 hour ago, AncientCoinnoisseur said:

Silphium plant

Because of the big recent hoard these have come down quite a lot  in price. I'm not saying they are exactly cheap,  but some decent Kyrene tets are $200 or so  if you are lucky.

• Heart 1

Posted (edited)
18 minutes ago, Deinomenid said:

Your infographics are fantastic. Just an idea, but why  not put that to use for $ for others. Leo Barros/Classical Numismatics does roughly that sort of thing with graphics from  coins but showing the whole coin as a drawing, and then on t-shirts etc. I know  nothing of the  time  involved,  or the extent to which you'd offer something  similar to  him, but it's a great niche.

Because of the big recent hoard these have come down quite a lot  in price. I'm not saying they are exactly cheap,  but some decent Kyrene tets are $200 or so  if you are lucky.

That looks like a nice idea I can consider in the future, depending on the amount of free time I’ll get (which right now is very limited!).  

As for the Kyrene, I’ll see if I can find a nice one in the future. As you might have seen, I prefer getting fewer coins but in good condition, so I’m a bit picky on what I decide to buy 🙂 The last one I tried to buy skyrocketed way over my budget!

Edited by AncientCoinnoisseur
  • Like 2

A pity you are considering quitting, with all the good stuff you show and the fantastic infographics coming with them. I like the most the Rhodos drachm and the robert d'Anjou gigliato.

I can contribute with a L Cassius Longinus (veiled) and a Caesar elephant you've already seen

70ad8cd7392a4c9ca9f7b64288ed4b44.jpg

7a480e37bf9a484ebbdee95683fbcaee.jpg

Q

• Like 7
  • Heart Eyes 3

17 minutes ago, Qcumbor said:

A pity you are considering quitting, with all the good stuff you show and the fantastic infographics coming with them. I like the most the Rhodos drachm and the robert d'Anjou gigliato.

I can contribute with a L Cassius Longinus (veiled) and a Caesar elephant you've already seen

70ad8cd7392a4c9ca9f7b64288ed4b44.jpg

7a480e37bf9a484ebbdee95683fbcaee.jpg

Q

Thank you, those are some of my favourites as well! And I’ll keep making infographics and other content, I’ll just quit collecting for a while, I hope I’ll be able to start again soon, maybe more responsibly 🙂 And those are fantastic coins! That Caesar elephant is incredible! And the Longinus is also very very nice!

11 minutes ago, AETHER said:

Great collection! And I feel you! I'm capped!

Thank you! Yes, I spent way too much lately, I need to stop before it’s too late :) I’ll enjoy my collection for a while, until I’ll have to scratch that itch again (and I’ll have enough money to splurge, so this will take a while!)

• Like 1
  • Clap 1

Posted · Supporter

@AncientCoinnoisseur, what a thoughtfully curated and wonderfully presented collection!  You certainly have discerning taste.  I understand where you're coming from regarding taking a break and am happy to hear that you'll stay active in the hobby in other ways.

It would be very difficult to pick a favorite from among the coins presented.  It's clear to see why you chose each one of them.

• Like 1
  • Heart 1

6 hours ago, TIF said:

@AncientCoinnoisseur, what a thoughtfully curated and wonderfully presented collection!  You certainly have discerning taste.  I understand where you're coming from regarding taking a break and am happy to hear that you'll stay active in the hobby in other ways.

It would be very difficult to pick a favorite from among the coins presented.  It's clear to see why you chose each one of them.

Thank you so much, I appreciate that! I really hope I’ll be able to start again soon, I love studying things and sharing what I find for everyone to see! (Bonus points if I manage to make it pretty to see!). 

Glad you liked my collection 🙂 Is that a Euainetos Dekadrachm in your pfp, or is it an Agathokles tet? It’s hard to see from my phone! Either way, if it’s in your collection it’s a stunning piece! I’d be happy to get a tet one day, that Arethusa design is iconic! Maybe that will be my first coin once I get back into collecting 🙂

12 hours ago, AncientCoinnoisseur said:

Here is my entire collection, with a small explanation on why I decided to buy each coin in particular!

1) Euboia - Histiaia Tetrobol - Bought because: I liked the reverse and although I had to sacrifice the obverse a bit, I'm happy. Also, people from Euboia founded the first city in Magna Graecia, Cumae. [VIDEO]

2) Alexander The Great Tetradrachm - Bought because: I mean, it's a lifetime tet from Alexander, minted in Babylon or by a moving mint the year he died there / the year before that. That's as close as him as we can get I guess! [VIDEO] [INFOGRAPHIC]

3) Campania - Neapolis Didrachm - Bought because: I like the history of Naples and the design is iconic. The man-faced bull is so dorky, and the head of Parthenope is so charming! [VIDEO]

4) Bruttium - Rhegion AE - Bought because: I wanted a nice kithara, and it was relatively cheap, although the portraits of Magna Graecia have their beauty even in bronze coins. Look at the head of Artemis, it's gorgeous! [VIDEO]

5) Rhodos - Plinthophoric Drachm - Bought because: I wanted a head of Helios, given the possible association with the Colossus, and it's another iconic type. The iridescent toning truly is the cherry on top! Lovely coin and the portrait is stunning, considering how small it is! [VIDEO] [INFOGRAPHIC]

6) Macedon - First Meris Tetradrachm - Bought because: Big, iconic, heavy, very pretty to look at. Should I say more? [VIDEO]

7) Lucius Cassius Longinus Denarius - Bought because: It shows a man voting with a ballot inscribed V (Vti rogas), and it is a reference to the Trial of the Vestal Virgins and the Lex Cassia Tabellaria. Also, the guy was the brother of Cassius! Vesta is also unusually charming in this portrait, with the veiled styled as flowing hair. It was a rare variety I couldn't miss, quite different from the usual 'alien-looking' Vesta. [VIDEO] [INFOGRAPHIC]

9) Quintus Cassius Longinus Denarius - Bought because: It shows a wonderful Temple of Vesta, then the urn and the tabella with AC (Absolvo / Condemno) and it is part of the series that commemorates the Trial of the Vestal Virgins. [VIDEO] [INFOGRAPHIC]

9) Julius Caesar Denarius - Bought because: The elephant design is iconic, and being minted by a moving mint travelling with him as he crossed the Rubicon is as close to him and history as we can get! Not a beautiful specimen, but that's what I could afford and I love it! [VIDEO] [INFOGRAPHIC]

10) T. Carisius Denarius - Bought because: The goddess Juno Moneta is the origin of the word for coin in many languages, and the reverse shows either the minting tools or Vulcan's tools, and in both cases it is another iconic design that I could not miss! [VIDEO] [INFOGRAPHIC]

11) Vespasian Denarius - Bought because: I love the Capricorn design, and I was after an Augustus, although those in good shape are crazy expensive, so I went for a Vespasian. The portrait is among the best I have ever seen on Roman coinage, and the fact that it was minted the year of the Vesuvius eruption (and the year he died) makes it even more interesting! [VIDEO]

12) Titus Denarius - Bought because: The elephant denarius from Titus is another iconic type that commemorates the opening of the Colosseum and it is a reference to the inaugural games and the elephants that could be found there! (I had to settle for this since a Colosseum Sestertius was slightly out of my price range). [VIDEO]

13) Septimius Severus Denarius - Bought because: This is one of a few coins I have that was not bought for any reason in particular, but just because it was pretty. I mean, look at it, it seems to be freshly minted! When someone who is not an expert on ancient coins imagines what a coin from Ancient Rome looks like, they expect those very worn bronzes. But this? A coin that has lasted this long in pristine condition is nothing short of amazing! And that portrait and that Neptune are hypnotising! If you have some context / know some cool story behind this coin, please let me know! [VIDEO]

14) Philip I Antoninianus - Bought because: Another iconic type, it even made the list of 100 Greatest Ancient Coins by Berk. It commemorates the LVDI SAECVLARES, but not any centennial games, no no. This one is for the 1000th anniversary since the birth of Rome! Quite the special significance if you ask me (and it's also a pleasing coin to look at! Yes, the ones with the animals might be prettier, but that is a nice cippus, I'll give him that!). [VIDEO]

15) Constantius II AE 3 - Bought because: This was my very first ancient coin, the one that got me into the hobby and that - as a rite of passage - I overpaid in a shop in Rome! I bought it without any prior knowledge in ancient coins, I was just excited to be able to handle a piece of history. To me, it was insane, I thought coins could only be found in museums or something. Well, that was the day my life changed (and my wallet cried!). Also, did you know that Constantius II brought in Rome the tallest obelisk in the world? [VIDEO

16) Charles II of Anjou - Denaro Regale - Bought because: I just wanted a pretty Medieval coin, and this one - although very small and paper-thin - was cool enough. It is heavily inspired by coins of Edward I, so it is a testament of how interconnected the economies were at the time. [VIDEO]

17) Robert of Anjou - Gigliato - Bought because: It is a big, iconic Medieval coin that was copied everywhere, like this example from Sarukhan, Bey of Magnesia. [VIDEO]

Which coins are your favourites? Let me know (and feel free to show your coins if you have any from this list!)

I wish I could keep going, I love collecting ancient coins and I love even more being able to document everything I have, take high quality photos and videos, make interesting infographics and so on! But alas, I have to stop, because of many new, more important expenses. Plus, the coins I would like to acquire are now in a more expensive territory (Antoninus Pius Pharos of Alexandria Drachm, Lysimachos tetradrachm, Athens Owl Tetradrachm, Augustus Capricorn Denarius, Eukratides heroic bust, some coins with the Silphium plant and others with the seed, and so on). So I think I will spend my time studying what I have, making more informative posts and so on!

If someone of you wins the lottery though, and wants to gift me a coin, I will cherish it for life and make new infographics, ha! (Just kidding!)

Great collection, i particularly like Macedon Tetradrachm and Vespasian Capricorns & of course #9 Longinus / Vesta temple 

Edited by El Cazador
  • Like 1

35 minutes ago, El Cazador said:

Great collection, i particularly like Macedon Tetradrachm and Vespasian Capricorns & of course #9 Longinus / Vesta temple 

Thank you, those are among my favourites as well! It’s hard to pick just one or two, I bought all my coins because I liked them 🙂

• Like 1

Posted · Supporter
5 hours ago, AncientCoinnoisseur said:

Glad you liked my collection 🙂 Is that a Euainetos Dekadrachm in your pfp, or is it an Agathokles tet?

It's an Agathokles tet, perhaps the jewel of my collection, purchased more than ten years ago (and still my priciest by a wide margin).  Bidding on it was a wild ride, filled with platform problems and other issues.  Can't believe I managed to win it.

AgathoklesTetradrachm-1000w.jpg.0ef3fcd745623fc5726610056f182554.jpg

• Like 3
  • Heart Eyes 2
  • Shock 2

18 hours ago, AncientCoinnoisseur said:

Great coins! I like your infographics too. I believe ive seen them on reddit too. 

Good luck quitting. Once hooked, it takes exhaustive therapy to actually quit!

Ill add my Titus. Same type as yours, and bought for the exact same reasons. Perhaps David can show his Colosseum sestertius again, to get the party going 🙂

15.2.png.0fe19350f8bab916f670cdb03a522445.png

• Like 3
  • Heart Eyes 1

22 minutes ago, TIF said:

It's an Agathokles tet, perhaps the jewel of my collection, purchased more than ten years ago (and still my priciest by a wide margin).  Bidding on it was a wild ride, filled with platform problems and other issues.  Can't believe I managed to win it.

AgathoklesTetradrachm-1000w.jpg.0ef3fcd745623fc5726610056f182554.jpg

Oh. My. God. This is beyond stunning, truly a masterpiece!!! It’s hypnotising, you are lucky to have it, I would pick it up and stare at it at least once a day I guess 😂

• Heart 1
  • Yes 1

4 minutes ago, Limes said:

Great coins! I like your infographics too. I believe ive seen them on reddit too. 

Good luck quitting. Once hooked, it takes exhaustive therapy to actually quit!

Ill add my Titus. Same type as yours, and bought for the exact same reasons. Perhaps David can show his Colosseum sestertius again, to get the party going 🙂

15.2.png.0fe19350f8bab916f670cdb03a522445.png

Nice one! The elephant is of a very similar style to mine, very cool!

There are people here with Colosseum sestertii? I feel like a poor man here 😂 

So cool that they get to share it with us though, I found the Ancient Coin community to be one of the most wholesome ever, everyone here is just a huge history nerd that appreciates the beauty and craftsmanship of ancient civilisations, and we get to share our interests and learn from each other. 

• Yes 1