New member and his Antoninianus collection.

The Ant Man

Hello guys, I am a new member thanks to a friend introducing me to this site. I am trying to complete a collection of antoninianus from legitimate Augustus and Caesar issues. Here are some of my highlights in the collection.

Edited by The Ant Man
  • Like 7
  • Clap 3

Caracalla
Macrinus
Diadumenian
Elagabalus
Balninus
Pupienus
Gordian III
Philip I
Philip II
Trajan Decius
Herennius Etrucus
Hostilian
Trebonianus Gallus
Volusian
Aemilian
Valerian
Valerian II
Saloninus
Gallienus
Claudius II Gothicus
Quintillus
Aurelian
Tacitus
Florian
Probus
Carus
Numerian
Carinus
Diocletian
Maximian Herculius
Constantius I
Galerius

Out of the list the bolded ones are the ones I am missing. Saloninus should be easy, Pupienus I need to save. Diadumenian will be a pain as he is hard to find in general as well as being pricy. But compare to similar popular types to collect this is far more within my capabilities.

• Like 6
  • Clap 1

Aemillian Antoninianus

253 CE Rome Mint

RIC IV Aemillian I

22mm 3.97 grams

Probably in terms of condition one of my best coins in my collection. Exceptional dark toning with a very well struck reverse which is uncommon with a well centred flan.

Aemilian Complete.png

• Like 23
  • Clap 2
  • Excited 1
  • Heart Eyes 2

Diocletian Antoninianus

Siscia Mint, 289-290 CE.

RIC V Diocletian 263

23mm, 5.05 grams.

For a antoninianus around the end of their mintage, this is a surprisngly well made coin. Exceptional silvering and a large and heavy flan. 

Dio Complete-ccfopt.jpg

• Like 23
  • Clap 2

Hi Ant Man, nice and less common collection focus! Are you not tempted to collect by reverse type as well as by emperor?

My collection essentially starts where yours leaves off, with the coinage reform of Diocletian and introduction of the nummus, although my real focus is Constantine I from a few years later. I do still have a few ants myself, and this Rome Annona (RIC V.2 156) is probably my favorite. The singular AVG vs AVGG indicates a date at the beginning of Diocletian's reign before he appointed Maximianus as co-ruler.

image.png.c5b81e643c60c352f0133983780e8e0b.png

• Like 15

Since the first two coins I posted are so well received, here are some more antoninianus in my collection.

Caracalla, Rome Mint, 216 CE

23mm, 5.34 grams.

This is the second year the coinage type was issued. This coin is well preserved and I really like that it is well struck and most details are remaining.

Caracalla Complete.png

• Like 13

Also something that is comparable to my Aemilian antoninianus condition wise.

Rome Mint, 217 CE

I suspect this is probably some of the first antoninianus minted by Macrinus, due to the message on the reverse FIDES MILITVM could be a reference to the usurptation of Caracalla. As well his later coins shows him with a longer beard.

MacrinusAntcomplete-ccfopt.jpg.2ef8ba1da84c20d126d4143318c5f518.jpg

• Like 12
  • Heart Eyes 3

5 hours ago, Heliodromus said:

Hi Ant Man, nice and less common collection focus! Are you not tempted to collect by reverse type as well as by emperor?

Maybe not reverse type, but maybe the Augusta issue or the Secular games wouldn't be a bad idea.

• Like 1

• Benefactor
4 minutes ago, The Ant Man said:

Also something that is comparable to my Aemilian antoninianus condition wise.

Rome Mint, 217 CE

I suspect this is probably some of the first antoninianus minted by Macrinus, due to the message on the reverse FIDES MILITVM could be a reference to the usurptation of Caracalla. As well his later coins shows him with a longer beard.

MacrinusAntcomplete-ccfopt.jpg.2ef8ba1da84c20d126d4143318c5f518.jpg

My guess on that one is that the celators did not have a bust of Macrinus to work with so they extrapolated from Caracalla. Kind of reminds me of the early Maximinus coins that bore a resemblance to Severus Alexander....

• Thinking 2

2 minutes ago, Ancient Coin Hunter said:

My guess on that one is that the celators did not have a bust of Macrinus to work with so they extrapolated from Caracalla. Kind of reminds me of the early Maximinus coins that bore a resemblance to Severus Alexander....

You know, now that you mentioned it Macrinus bust does bear a resemblence. 

Here is an interesting Antoninianus.

Trajan Decius. 

Rome Mint, 249-251 CE

Obverse legend: IMP C M Q TRAIANVS DECIVS AVG

Reverse legend: GENIVS EXERC ILLVRICIANI

DeciusComplete-ccfopt.jpg.65b8a66acd07bbd1a386ebbebdea303a.jpg

Trebonianus Gallus

Mediolanum Mint, 251-253 CE

Obverse legend: IMP C C VIB TREB GALLVS AVG

Reverse legend: PAX AFTERNA

22mm, 3.22 grams.

GallusComplete-ccfopt.jpg.3f8c5435fa8a3c13cfe5ec118efbc7a2.jpg

What is interesting about these two coins that they share in common is that they are underweight compared to antoninianus of that time period (3.47 & 3.22 grams instead of 3.7-4 grams). However, I did ask a shop to do a XRF test and their silver purity was at a surprising 50%. I did some further research and apparently during that time some antoninianus were minted via striking over old Severan era denarii in order to save time and money. But stopped due to the silver value over time going above the face value.

• Like 8

• Benefactor

The problem with a lot of ants is low weight. 

Like 1.5x the weight of the denarius but tariffed at 2.

The taxpayer was at a loss. 

Similarly Carcalla's extension of Roman citizenship likely increased the tax rolls, rather than being a humanitarian gesture.

6 hours ago, Heliodromus said:

My collection essentially starts where yours leaves off, with the coinage reform of Diocletian and introduction of the nummus, although my real focus is Constantine I from a few years later. I do still have a few ants myself, and this Rome Annona (RIC V.2 156) is probably my favorite. The singular AVG vs AVGG indicates a date at the beginning of Diocletian's reign before he appointed Maximianus as co-ruler.

image.png.c5b81e643c60c352f0133983780e8e0b.png

That is so interesting. Thank you for telling me this.

47 minutes ago, Ancient Coin Hunter said:

The problem with a lot of ants is low weight. 

Like 1.5x the weight of the denarius but tariffed at 2.

The taxpayer was at a loss. 

Similarly Carcalla's extension of Roman citizenship likely increased the tax rolls, rather than being a humanitarian gesture.

The low weight of antoninianus is definitely the biggest problem at the start of the denomination. The Trajan Decius and Trebonianus Gallus ants the reason I speculated that they were overstruck denarii from the Severans is because their low weight but exceptionally high purity.