Colorising my collection, Part 3 of 17 - Rhodos Plinthophoric Drachm

Nice.

On the obverse, it looks like you started to colorize the fields blue, and then stopped. Is there a reason for that? Also, on the reverse, the outer fields are not colorized. I just thought I'd mention it, because the fields were colorized on your previous 2 coins.

Edited by sand
  • Heart 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, sand said:

Nice.

On the obverse, it looks like you started to colorize the fields blue, and then stopped. Is there a reason for that? Also, on the reverse, the outer fields are not colorized. I just thought I'd mention it, because the fields were colorized on your previous 2 coins.

Hey, thanks, glad you liked it! Actually, the fields were never colorised in any of my previous coins, that is their natural color 🙂 The only part of the field I colorised here is the square on the reverse, since I wanted to highlight it, given that the coin itself gets its name from the square! (And it almost looks like a little window / painting with the sky behind the rose!)

Here the original B/W coins next to their colorised counterparts. As you can see, no colors added in the fields 🙂 It is possible that in the final edit I might have increased the saturation a bit, thus slightly increasing the field's original color, but that's it! Also, I might consider an alternative version of this Drachm with a pink rose and no blue square. I think it might be more delicate and in tune with the obverse colors.

3-CampaniaNeapolisDidrachmLQ.jpg.b25815c7257ce5f649a9d7f0e68246e4.jpg

02-DidrammadiNeapolisconscritteefirma3CORRETTOsmoothedMQ.jpg.f4b3ae942d904d94d51ad356f60f82c2.jpg

4-BruttiumRhegionAELQ.jpg.1d49290a1edc5d12c2b5e6567d605382.jpg

04-RhegionconscritteefirmaMQ.jpg.a94fc8204f51c02a01aa40af2c0a330a.jpg

5-RhodosPlinthophoricDrachmLQ.jpg.78135d109f54d5a0e566fca5e312f1fb.jpg

05-RhodosconscritteefirmaMQ.jpg.d177281ec816c07da2e320d83b1a2aae.jpg

Edited by AncientCoinnoisseur
  • Like 2
  • Heart Eyes 1

@AncientCoinnoisseur Ah. I had not noticed, that the fields of your 1st 2 coins had those colors. And, I had not noticed the little bit of blue, in the fields of the obverse of your Rhodos drachm. Also, as you said, it seems that, perhaps the Neapolis Didrachm's blue fields became slightly more vivid blue, in the process of digitally colorizing that coin.

I'm glad you digitally colorized the Rhodos drachm, because that's my favorite, of your coins. The portrait is fine style, and the rose looks quite nice. A nice looking, interesting coin.

Edited by sand
  • Heart 1

@sand thanks! It’s even more impressive considering how small the coin is, at 15mm. That level of detail is almost invisible to the naked eye, I’m convinced they used some sort of magnification system. I should add a 1mm line to put things in perspective.

@Romismatist Thanks!!!

@NathanB Yes, I always try to be faithful to the actual coin texture. Only on the Neapolis I slightly smoothed her skin (I actually made the really bright spots on her cheek a tad less bright, that’s all!).

@Bonshaw Please only try this with modern coins, I only do it digitally, but my ancients are perfectly safe! 🙂 

• Like 2