The coolest ancient coin you've got write up giveaway! The winner has been announced!

Ryro

Who is our winner??? You decide!  

20 members have voted

1. 1. In your opinion, which coin is coolest?

• TIF's duty deity
    • Ryro's rad Sicilian
    • Q's Commodus sestertius his grandad found at Verdun battle
    • porphyrogenita's pretty Vitiges
    • Roman Collector's myth of the Gigantomachy
    • Sulla80's "forced token currency" or his "Chinese coin from a Turkic Khaganate with Sogdian writing"
    • Curtisimo's handsome Hera or his Coin that killed JC!
    • Phil Anthos's Syracuse, Fourth Democracy writer's award/reward from future criminal!
    • ambr0zie's shweet Schepty sheshtertiush

Posted · Supporter
2 hours ago, Furryfrog02 said:

All these are great write-ups but there is absolutely no doubt in my mind that @Qcumbor takes the cake.

Great coin? Check
Amazing but true story? Check
Grandfather helped save the world from ze' Germans? Check

Winner winner chicken dinner.

Absolutely!  Hands down, the coolest ancient coin story possible!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

• Benefactor
Posted (edited)

I've always thought that Q's story is the coolest coin story I've ever heard, especially given my own family connection to the Battle of Verdun. As wonderful as all the coins and stories have been in this thread, that's still my opinion!

(Not that anything I might have posted could have matched what Q and others wrote, but that isn't why I refrained from participating: when I retired  after more than 35 years of  practice as a litigation attorney, I promised myself "no more contests; no more winning or losing"! In any arena.) 

Edited by DonnaML
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Smile 1

Posted (edited)

Thanks so much to everyone who entered, @TIF, @Qcumbor, @porphyrogenita, @Roman Collector, @Sulla80, @Curtisimo, @Phil Anthos, @ambr0zie & @Al Kowsky  and made this fun, entertaining and enlightening. 

1bvcpo.gif.c429570af31c95b5ac1d5f8ff97d9003.gif

No really. I appreciate you all. 

On to the winner:

hungry-lunch.gif.dea86eb181120b36cc5c0fe190210e27.gif

Now, I'm not good with math,

dumb-stupid-people.gif.b564999920276e234f9fd452e6cd3989.gif

but 10 is greater than 6...I think. And 6 is the total votes everyone else COMBINED received!

Thus, we didn't lose. We got destroyed...

giphy.gif.f49fed5ae1014887e60d6f57472e9976.gif

Making our coolest coin, and story, on Numis Forums @Qcumbor's Commodus sestertius!!!

0d3c62a3185fb28137b7280b21ff1d4c.gif.c1fff85e36c070ea208d8f89e29911b9.gif

Coingrats Q! So, which coin of the 4 in the OP will you be giving away? And to whom??

Edited by Ryro
  • Like 7
  • Clap 2
  • Laugh 1
  • Party 1
  • Yes 1

• Ryro changed the title to The coolest ancient coin you've got write up giveaway! The winner has been announced!

Thanks @Ryro for putting this up, and thanks to all of you for your appreciation of the story behind the coin. I'm pretty sure my grandad (he would have been 130 years old in a few weeks) would be proud and happy to know this coin to be so popular among collectors in the whole world 😄 !!

I'm very honoured to be the caretaker of this wonderful piece of History.

Now, what will be the prize ?

I think my choice will be the A Pius/Elephant middle bronze, since it's a wondercool coin (they all are TBH, but that one is cooler) and I would have loved to own one like that.

Screenshot_20240807_190659_eBay.jpg.69a6

I will reveal the recipient in a minute, but wait .... I am told in my earpiece someone wants to add something .... Yes ? .... What ? ....oh, great ! 

Q would like to add a prize too, meaning the recipient will not recieve one coin but two, should they provide a valid address 🙂  :

28f69fb1d3804acea5a740d578309312.jpg

Theodosius I, AE2 - Antioch mint, 4th officina
DN THEODOSIVS P F AVG, diademed and draped bust right
GLORIA ROMANORVM, Emperor standing, holding globe and standard, ANT delta at exergue
4.25 gr
Ref : Cohen # 18

Now, to whom ?

6e2f9d89d84a93fbf33da6157b86d36e.jpeg

A nice person for sure

Very often on the boards

Loving animals, even weird ones

Kind enough to give likes to almost everybody

Not posting new coins often since they don't have many opportunities to acquire them, but always enthusiastic when they do.

I think you have now guessed who I'm talking about, no ?

I would like to nominate Erin (aka @airhead1983) as recipient of the two coins pictured above

Thanks again @Ryro for that ubercool idea and for your generosity toward others !

Q

Edited by Qcumbor
  • Like 5
  • Clap 5
  • Heart 6
  • Party 1

You heard it here first, @Qcumbor has chosen long time coin pal and contributor for years @airhead1983 to be our winner!!!

Huge coingrats Erin. Please private message me your address and we'll get your elephant in the mail. 

Though we'll have to ship it ground cause...

fd4286d0-b501-4e9c-8d89-dec614de549b_text.gif

• Like 6
  • Laugh 3

• Benefactor

@Qcumbor, my grandfather was also born in 1894 (in December), so he would also be 130 this year. Which means they were both only 21 at the Battle of Verdun. So young.

Congratulations to you from New York City. And my grandfather says hello to yours from the field hospital at Verdun in March 1916. (He's the man sitting up in bed in the middle, marked with a red dot.) Even in the unlikely event that yours was the one who shot him! After all, he was proud of being a wounded combat veteran. And who knows; that status may have protected my grandparents a little bit longer, 25 years later.

image.jpeg.72d654001ecc382b2ddb34c24fc9cffc.jpeg.fda04a7ecc33b842d532766b41aa17a0.jpeg

• Like 10
  • Heart 1
  • Heart Eyes 1

I didn't see the vote, but mine would have been also for Q. I like that story a lot. 

Tomorrow I have a table tennis pro championship, first in my career (I am very young - will turn 40 next year). If I get 0 points this will surely be a deja vu. 

• Like 6
  • Clap 2

1 hour ago, Qcumbor said:

Thanks @Ryro for bringing this up, and thanks to all of you for your appreciation of the story behind the coin. I'm pretty sure my grandad (he would have been 130 years old in a few weeks) would be proud and happy to know this coin to be so popular among collectors in the whole world 😄 !!

I'm very honoured to be the caretaker of this wonderful piece of History.

Now, what will be the prize ?

I think my choice will be the A Pius/Elephant middle bronze, since it's a wondercool coin (they all are TBH, but that one is cooler) and I would have loved to own one like that.

Screenshot_20240807_190659_eBay.jpg.69a6

I will reveal the recipient in a minute, but wait .... I am told in my earpiece someone wants to add something .... Yes ? .... What ? ....oh, great ! 

Q would like to add a prize too, meaning the recipient will not recieve one coin but two, should they provide a valid address 🙂  :

28f69fb1d3804acea5a740d578309312.jpg

Theodosius I, AE2 - Antioch mint, 4th officina
DN THEODOSIVS P F AVG, diademed and draped bust right
GLORIA ROMANORVM, Emperor standing, holding globe and standard, ANT delta at exergue
4.25 gr
Ref : Cohen # 18

Now, to whom ?

6e2f9d89d84a93fbf33da6157b86d36e.jpeg

A nice person for sure

Very often on the boards

Loving animals, even weird ones

Kind enough to give likes to almost everybody

Not posting new coins often since they don't have many opportunities to acquire them, but always enthusiastic when they do.

I think you have now guessed who I'm talking about, no ?

I would like to nominate Erin (aka @airhead1983) as recipient of the two coins pictured above

Thanks again @Ryro for that ubercool idea and for your generosity toward others !

Q

Thank you so much to @Qcumbor and @Ryro.  I am incredibly grateful for your generosity. 🫶

Its been a very long time since I’ve been able to get a new coin, so, I’m very excited to be able to post two new ones in the future!

My brother, who also collects ancients, is more of a spontaneous collector rather than a consistent one.  Right now, he’s collecting video game figures.  Quite the variety of focuses he has.  Lol

There were many cool coins entered into the contest and I thoroughly enjoyed reading about each one.  I will never tire of reading about your Commodus sestertius, @Qcumbor! 😃

Thank you for remembering me.  It means a lot!

You are all the BEST!! 🥳🥳

Erin

• Like 5
  • Clap 2
  • Heart 4

9 hours ago, Ryro said:

You heard it here first, @Qcumbor has chosen long time coin pal and contributor for years @airhead1983 to be our winner!!!

Huge coingrats Erin. Please private message me your address and we'll get your elephant in the mail. 

Though we'll have to ship it ground cause...

fd4286d0-b501-4e9c-8d89-dec614de549b_text.gif

Thanks @Ryro - for bringing fun to NF & congrats @Qcumbor & @airhead1983 😀

• Like 4
  • Clap 1