Deep look at Ant Man's antoninianus

The Ant Man

After the success of my first topic. I figured that I want to make an in depth look of each individual coin in my collection. Here is the first of the ants, Caracalla.

CaracallaComplete-ccfopt.jpg.ad191cf488f47ad2592ffafac5c8870a.jpg

Antoninianus

Rome Mint, 216 CE

Obverse legend: ANTONINVS PIVS AVG GERM

Obverse design: Bust of Caracalla, radiate, draped, right facing.

Reverse legend: P M TR P XVIIII COS IIII P P 

Reverse design: Separis, wearing polos on head, standing, head left, raising right hand, holding tranverse sceptre in left hand.

RIC IV Caracalla 280D.

23mm, 5.34 grams

Caracalla instituted the new denomiation in 215 CE in an attempt to increase revenue to pay his expenses. There are no records of what this new denomiation was named during the Roman Empire, hence Caracalla's official name Antoninus was used to name this coin. The radiate crown was to indicate the new coin was worth the face value of two denarii similar to the dupondius being worth two ases with the emperor wearing radiate crown. However, people quickly found out that these coins only has the silver of around 1.5 denarii while having a face value of 2. This reform caused inflation & economic chaos in the Empire as people quickly raised prices to account for the missing silver and hoarded denarii away. While this coin was supposed to be a temporary measure. It soon became a permanent feature and as time went on, destroyed the Augustus coinage standard by replacing all other denominations with its continuous debasements and in turn, the Roman economy. 

This example is part of my collection. XRF analysis showed this coin to be 50% silver, roughly on par with the denarii of that time period. The obverse legend's full description is Antoninus Pius Augustus Germanicus. He adopted the title Germanicus after the Alamannic War in Raetia. 

The reverse shows Serapis, god of healing, which Caracalla has an interesting story with the Graeco-Egyptian god. During his co-reign with his father Septimeus Severus, the Separeum in Alexandria was renovated when both were present. When Caracalla assassinated Geta in 211 CE, he dedicated the weapon to Serapis. After Caracalla's ancesion as sole emperor in 212 CE, the Rome Mint started to strike coins bearing Serapis. He later also dedicated a temple at the Quirinal Hill, indicating the central role Serapis played during his reign. The reverse legend full desciption goes as Pointefex Maximus, Tribunicia Potestas 19th year, Counsel for the 4th time, Pater Patriae. I was able to date the coin because he became a tribute in the year 197 CE. 

This coin is in EF condition with wear at the highest points. I assume this coin was quickly hoarded away due to the condition it is in. Well struck with a well centred flan and most details remaining. A great survivor of the first example of the denomiation that would eventually bring the end of the Augustus coinage standard and would eventually end with the Reforms of Diocletian.

• Like 5

Beautiful coin!

carant.jpg.e0e2836aa3fef72b326de4d85d335d22.jpg

Caracalla (198 - 217 A.D.)

AR Antoninianus
O: ANTONINVS PIVS AVG GERM, Radiate, bearded and cuirassed bust right, seen from behind.
R:  P M TR P XVIII COS IIII P P, Jupiter seated left, holding Nike and scepter; at feet to left, eagle standing left, head right.
Rome Mint, 215 A.D.
5.5g
24mm
RIC IV 260v; RSC 277b

• Like 7