I don't know what coin/s to get for my birthday

Nerosmyfavorite68

My most recent buy to date, the nice Otho tetradrachm, could qualify well for a birthday coin, but it's a bit early.

I just don't know what to get.  I've trawled through a bunch of stuff, especially London Ancient Coins, and I've seen coins I want, but none so far that are must-haves. As long as I stick with coins of the same size and choose the expensive shipping method at LAC I should be just fine. They have a lot of toned silver and nicely patinated coins.  LAC just has so many coins that I should carefully go through the listings today.

My budget this time would be around $300.  I'd rather get something attractive than a rarity in meh shape, unless the rarity is a rare opportunity.

I did search for something I've really, really wanted,  a huge year 5 Constantinople Tiberius II follis.  The only two which came up were either pitted or holed.  I do love the 37-40+mm. facing folles of Justinian I but those might be a regular buy type of coin.

I'm always interested in what collectors of U.S. coins would call 'monster toners', especially in republican coins, as well as more conservatively toned pieces (although I don't like faux toned coins).  I've come across a few really nicely toned ones, which I bookmarked.  I also really like Alexandrian drachms of Hadrian, especially one with a smooth, brown patina.  A couple of Hadrian possibilities came up in a search but those particular ones are more of a regular buy type of coin.

Has anyone here had any dealings with Pavlos Pavlou?  He has a denarius which fits exactly in the 'monster/rainbow toner' category. It's in fantastic shape and has a pretty neat reverse.  The only issue; it's of an emperor whom I don't aggressively collect - I think my last non-Alexandrian drachm purchase of his was back in the 90's.  Said denarius has also been up for sale for months, if not a year plus.

One goal I've had was to complete a purchase for a toner Morgan U.S. dollar and receive it.  I'm 0 for 1 so far in this regard.  I have the perfect one in mind but it's inexpensive and it would better fit in for the next buy.

My interests are diverse; Roman republic and empire through about 300 (I do like siliquae, however), Sasanian, Byzantine (539-711, 1092-1204), Hellenistic silver, large Ptolemaic coins, large AE's.  I'm not really into Greek AE's (although I've always wanted a huge AE Drachm from Syracuse), nor am I really into AE Antoninianii.  Small AE's are also a general no unless it has a fantastic patina (especially blue) or is really special.

For some ideas, here's the buys within this budget level which have given me the most joy within the last 365 days: a nicely toned Magnus Maximus siliqua in nice shape, a wonderfully toned Cassius denarius with a lovely portrait, a nice Nero and Divus Claudius Antioch tetradrachm (although I gave that as a gift, I want a decent one), although I overpaid for it, I really love the blueish patina of the Trajan dupondius below.  I'm also a bit of a sestertius nut, especially if it's nicely patinated.  I really don't enjoy stripped coins.Trajan(98-117)-AEDupondius-28mm_12.58gRIC428AbundantianiceaquapatinaSavoca.jpg.f784be8d1e49dbf9ac8719c199c78a32.jpg

Although not a rainbow toner (the 90's one has more iridescence), the relatively recent Magnus Maximus siliqua was very pleasing.MagnusMaximus-383-388-ARSiliqua-AugustaTreverorum-18mm2.0gRIC84bTRPS.jpg.5641b0d4f4030746c195dfc864e9df08.jpg

https://www.vcoins.com/en/stores/gert_boersema/25/product/roman_republic_q_titius_ar_denarius_18mm_384_gram_90_bc/2090450/Default.aspx

Although the obverse type doesn't do much for me said listing is closer to what I'd call a 'monster' toner.  I've never had occasion to purchase anything from said dealer, although I'm sure he's just fine.

• Like 10
  • Heart Eyes 1

Posted (edited)

Should I go for the Pavlou denarius?  It checks most of the boxes; rainbow toner, great condition, relatively interesting reverse.  The only problem is that I'm not crazy about the emperor.  I don't really collect the Antonines, save for Commodus.  It's probably slightly overpriced judging by how long it's been sitting, but nothing too outrageous.

Gert Boersema has some interesting old-collection pieces.  I thought he might be in Germany but it appears that he's from the Netherlands.  I've had decent luck with coins from that nation.

Edited by Nerosmyfavorite68
Gert
  • Like 1

I picked one of the nicer coins there :classic_biggrin: (wasn't in the example link).  I don't want to jinx it; I'll post it when it arrives.  It will be interesting to see what the 1963 documentation is.

There's bound to be hidden gems somewhere on vcoins but I just didn't see any must haves within that price range in the respective stocks of my usual go-to dealers.

Let us hope that Mr. Boersema will be a new favorite dealer.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Nerosmyfavorite68 said:

I picked one of the nicer coins there :classic_biggrin: (wasn't in the example link).  I don't want to jinx it; I'll post it when it arrives.  It will be interesting to see what the 1963 documentation is.

There's bound to be hidden gems somewhere on vcoins but I just didn't see any must haves within that price range in the respective stocks of my usual go-to dealers.

Let us hope that Mr. Boersema will be a new favorite dealer.

Oh I thought it was your linked example.