Kyrene AV 3/4 Obol

panzerman

The coin is fabulous and a great addition to any collector. The only thing I do not like (not related to the coin itself) is the way it was described by the seller. Looks like marketing from 1992, the next line should be "But wait! that's not all! order now and you will also receive a 50% discount on the next product! yes! you heard it well! and if you order in the next 5 minutes you will have the chance to get a super non sticking frying pan! yes! all if you just run to the phone and order it now! time is ticking!"

• Like 2
  • Laugh 1
  • Smile 1
  • Yes 1

Congratulations @panzerman! I believe  I own the only other of these  in private hands, so we control the market in three quarter horse and ram head obols from Barke. We should use this power wisely. (Though whenever I'm told one of three or one of two, another one always appears the next week!)

Just in case of interest, when the BM acquired one in 1920  it was to some  fanfare, though there was much squabbling about whether it was from Kyrene or Salamis. 

Screenshot2024-08-21at13-12-25GREEKCOINSACQUIREDBYTHEBRITISHMUSEUMIN1920onJSTOR.png.2d3584f8feb83ee41de57ffd2550e17d.png

Screenshot2024-08-21at13-12-39GREEKCOINSACQUIREDBYTHEBRITISHMUSEUMIN1920onJSTOR.png.30a7a371df17ac25b809220c47148a7b.png

Text  is  G.F. Hill.

Screenshot2024-08-21at13-13-21GREEKCOINSACQUIREDBYTHEBRITISHMUSEUMIN1920onJSTOR.png.aeae95cfe984ab7d32a84418bfa45bf8.png

• Like 8

Nice pickup!

2 hours ago, ambr0zie said:

The coin is fabulous and a great addition to any collector. The only thing I do not like (not related to the coin itself) is the way it was described by the seller. Looks like marketing from 1992, the next line should be "But wait! that's not all! order now and you will also receive a 50% discount on the next product! yes! you heard it well! and if you order in the next 5 minutes you will have the chance to get a super non sticking frying pan! yes! all if you just run to the phone and order it now! time is ticking!"

Are you saying you don't want to "discover the magic of elegance and rarity" and the "true embodiment of art and luxury"??

Looks like this dealer just discovered ChatGPT...

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Deinomenid said:

Congratulations @panzerman! I believe  I own the only other of these  in private hands, so we control the market in three quarter horse and ram head obols from Barke. We should use this power wisely. (Though whenever I'm told one of three or one of two, another one always appears the next week!)

Just in case of interest, when the BM acquired one in 1920  it was to some  fanfare, though there was much squabbling about whether it was from Kyrene or Salamis. 

Screenshot2024-08-21at13-12-25GREEKCOINSACQUIREDBYTHEBRITISHMUSEUMIN1920onJSTOR.png.2d3584f8feb83ee41de57ffd2550e17d.png

Screenshot2024-08-21at13-12-39GREEKCOINSACQUIREDBYTHEBRITISHMUSEUMIN1920onJSTOR.png.30a7a371df17ac25b809220c47148a7b.png

Text  is  G.F. Hill.

Screenshot2024-08-21at13-13-21GREEKCOINSACQUIREDBYTHEBRITISHMUSEUMIN1920onJSTOR.png.aeae95cfe984ab7d32a84418bfa45bf8.png

You would have except this seller has around 10 of these, to the point they auctioned a lower grade one on ebay

• Like 4

Thanks!

I wonder how many of these were lost. I remember last year I had a hole in my camo pants/ I noticed coins in flowerbed/ found out why. Also saw a dig on you tube were meatl detectorists found 8 AV Nobles in farmers field. Nobles were much larger 34 mm. and a fair chunk of change in 1400! 

• Like 1

On 8/21/2024 at 9:31 AM, panzerman said:

Still waiting for rain to end/ decided to brighten up my dreay day by getting this neat little coin.....

KYRENAICA, Barke.Kyrene.Circa 435-331 BC. AV Three-quarter Obol._ - www.vcoins.com.jpg

Congrats, that's an amazing 3/4 obol, @panzerman! Amazing that a coin like this is not destroyed by time, or just lost in the cracks between floor boards.

• Like 1

Would have been way more coins lost had pants been invented earlier/ I probably myself lost hundreds of small change.  Thankfully NO AV coins. Had I lived when gold/ silver were in circulation.....probably would have kept all the MS ones for my collection. Would have lined up for 24 hours at Prague Mint in 1600s to buy freshly struck AV 5/ 10 Dukaten AV coins! I would have NO interest in modern struck crappola. Off to trim hedges....

• Smile 1

• 2 weeks later...