Know what your buying, and buy what you know....

quant.geek

It is regrettable, because I have no doubt there are many honest people in Serbia, and in Bulgaria, too.  But any coin on eBay coming from those countries needs to be approached with caution.   I would recommend starting with the assumption that such coin is a fake, unless a die match can be found on acsearch, or other more reliable source.  

As to these coins, specifically:  I agree with @Theodosius.  And I would add that such complete legends on coins of this era would be quite unusual.  To have a whole run of them with complete legends really strains credulity.  I believe that because the convexities of the obverse and reverse dies were not identical, the authentic coins were usually struck twice.  The coins are most affected at the periphery, where the legends are.  Here is a beautiful, unusually excellent, coin of Manuel Comnenos, SB-1958.  Even this coin lacks all the legend on the left.  And the epigraphy on the right is not so great, either.  

Also, observe the discontinuity of the double beaded circle at the top of the coin.  This is clear evidence of the double striking.  The die shift here is minimal, which is why the images of Manuel and the Virgin are so good.  But close examination of them shows more subtle evidence of the double strike.  Mary’s halo has a break in it.  There is faint ghosting of each of the figures to the left and the right.  

Findings like these are typical of the coins of the era.  I would love to hear @TheTrachyEnjoyer’s thoughts on this.  

image.jpeg.68ae416c54415a9838241cfc60bcaedb.jpeg

• Like 12
  • Yes 2

I hope those members who can spot eBay fakes will report them to the CFDL
(CoinForgeryDiscussionList)
https://groups.io/g/CFDL/messages
Reports are useful to a wider collecting community. Sellers who sell too many fakes get added to lists such as:
http://augustuscoins.com/ed/fakesellers.html
which I recommend you consult before bidding on any item on eBay if you don't know the seller. Bookmark it and use it. However, do not assume it is a complete list. If sellers have not been reported to the membership of the CFDL, it may have escaped the attention of those who compile fakesellers lists for the benefit of the collecting community. 

• Like 6
  • Yes 4

Wisdom : Buy what you know and not everything that is circular and looks like a coin.

These trachea (photos by quant.geek) are too perfect to be true. Even in their times if they existed they would have been recognised as fakes.

Ebay can not have any control of authenticity, it is a jungle. Stay away from informing them, maybe some of the sellers are a form of local mafia.

MA, V and auction houses collect an ammount of money for their reputation as a service for providing original coins.

Serbia is new on these things. Bulgaria s new laws are strict.

These coins (original trachea) can be found : West Turkey, North Greece, Bulgaria the late empire coinage, Serbia, Albania. 

The Bulgarians and Serbians have their own scyphate trachea too, wrongly called imitations, which are not appreciated by collectors temporarily.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry I couldn't respond to the replies on the thread. I have been swamped with work-related production issues that required my attention. I haven't had a break in a while and thank god, it was labor day.  The OP coins are extremely cartoonish and as some of you  indicated, it is extremely rare to find full legends on any of these coins, let alone several coins on ebay. Look at Alexius I and his neck! It looks more like Goofy than Alexius...

• Like 1
  • Big Smile 1

2 hours ago, quant.geek said:

Sorry I couldn't respond to the replies on the thread. I have been swamped with work-related production issues that required my attention. I haven't had a break in a while and thank god, it was labor day.  The OP coins are extremely cartoonish and as some of you  indicated, it is extremely rare to find full legends on any of these coins, let alone several coins on ebay. Look at Alexius I and his neck! It looks more like Goofy than Alexius...

sadly, a collector on Reddit has just posted the Alexis to show it off, 2 hours ago. he was immediately told it was fake, but had paid 107 for it. hopefully Ebay helps him out.

• Like 1
  • Cry 2