A New (to me) RR Resource : DPRR

Sulla80

Prosopography : a research method in historical studies that involves the systematic collection and analysis of information about individuals within a particular group, often focusing on their relationships, social connections, careers, and roles within a specific historical context.

I was pleasantly surprised to discover the DPRR today (Digital Prosopography of the Roman Republic).  I don't know how long it has been around, but the copyright on the site is 2024.  First impressions are that this is my new first stop before Broughton and RE.  

I stumbled on it looking for material on this coin of Publius Lentulus Spinther, RE 238 - for whom it provides a rich set of references and information. The entry in DPRR is here: CORN2290 P. Cornelius (238) P. f. L. n. Lentulus Spinther

His coin (my latest RR addition). My notes on this coin are here: Cicero's Savior from Exile

PLentulusSpinther.jpg.6ea01d78e103e350f1d6f1fad45521ec.jpg

Pub. Lentulus P. f. L. n. Spinther, AR Denarius (3.65g, 18mm, 2h), Rome, 74 BC.

Obv: Bust of Hercules right; Q•S•C behind / P•LENT•P•F•L•N

Rev: Genius of the Roman People seated facing, holding cornucopiae and sceptre, being crowned by Victory, flying left.

Ref: Crawford 397/1; Sydenham 791.

Crawford (In Roman Republican Coinage)  connects the type of this coin as "asserting the claims of the Roman state against those of the rebel state of Sertorius".  The Genius of the Roman People appears to be standing on a globe and a prow asserting "domination" terra marique (over land and sea).

Edited by Sulla80
  • Like 14
  • Clap 1
  • Heart Eyes 2

DPRR is a great resource! I use it all the time to research obscurer characters that are sometimes only mentioned off-hand. Not to mention how much easier it is to search for individuals there as opposed to doing the same in Broughton or Brennan.  

I'm sadly missing the above type in my own collection but I do have a few cistophori issued by Lentulus during his proconsulship in Cilicia from 56 to 53:

5560635_1715618778.l.jpg.e4ffe5d90eb1691227000a64c9adcd82.jpg326_2.jpg.0810fc44ba055e719ace7cc3ef3de6bb.jpg

image.jpeg.b46d532776f8adfc5fd97aff81c69d4d.jpeg

1. Promagisterial Cistophori. P. Cornelius Lentulus Spinther as Proconsul of Cilicia. AR Cistophoric Tetradrachm. Laodicea on the Lycus, 56-53 BC. Artemidoros son of Damokratos, magistrate. Serpent emerging from cista mystica; all within wreath / P·LENTVLVS·P·F - IMP.  Two serpents entwined by a bow case. In the left field, ΛΑΟ. In the exergue, APTEMIΔOPOΣ / ΔAMOKPATOY. Stumpf 77.

2. Promagisterial Cistophori. Publius Cornelius Lentulus Spinther as Proconsul and Imperator in Cilicia. AR Cistophoric Tetradrachm. Apameia, 56-53 BC. Kastor, son of Apollodoros, magistrate. Serpent emerging from cista mystica; all within wreath / P·LENTVLVS·P·F - IMPERATOR. Two serpents entwined by a bow case. In the left field, AΠA. In the exergue, KAΣTOPOΣ - AΠOΛΛOΔΩPOY. 27 mm, 12.20 g. Stumpf 73; Metcalf V (Apameia). Ex Lanz 157 (9 December 2013), lot 182.

3. Promagisterial Cistophori. Publius Cornelius Lentulus Spinther as Proconsul of Cilicia. AR Cistophoric Tetradrachm. Laodicea on the Lycus, 56-53 BC. Anaxagoras son of Artemidoros, magistrate. Serpent emerging from cista mystica; all within wreath / P · LENTVLVS · P · F - PRO·COS. Two serpents entwined by a bow case. In the left field, ΛΑΟ. In the exergue, ΑΝΑΞΑΓΟΡ[ΑΣ] / ΑΡΤΕΜΙ[ΔΩΡΟΥ]. 26 mm, 12.03 g. Stumpf -; Metcalf -. Unpublished. One of only two known: cf. Nomos, Web 16. Lot 872. Overstruck on a previously issued cistophor from Laodicea.

Edited by zadie
  • Like 10

• Benefactor
3 hours ago, Sulla80 said:

Prosopography : a research method in historical studies that involves the systematic collection and analysis of information about individuals within a particular group, often focusing on their relationships, social connections, careers, and roles within a specific historical context.

I was pleasantly surprised to discovery the DPRR today (Digital Prosopography of the Roman Republic.  I don't know how long it has been around, but the copyright on the site is 2024.  First impression are that this is my new first stop before Broughton and RE.  

I stumbled on it looking for material on this coin of Publius Lentulus Spinther, RE 238 - for whom it provides a rich set of references and information. The entry in DPRR is here: CORN2290 P. Cornelius (238) P. f. L. n. Lentulus Spinther

His coin (my latest RR addition). My notes on this coin are here: Cicero's Savior from Exile

PLentulusSpinther.jpg.6ea01d78e103e350f1d6f1fad45521ec.jpg

Pub. Lentulus P. f. L. n. Spinther, AR Denarius (3.65g, 18mm, 2h), Rome, 74 BC.

Obv: Bust of Hercules right; Q•S•C behind / P•LENT•P•F•L•N

Rev: Genius of the Roman People seated facing, holding cornucopiae and sceptre, being crowned by Victory, flying left.

Ref: Crawford 397/1; Sydenham 791.

Crawford (In Roman Republican Coinage)  connects the type of this coin as "asserting the claims of the Roman state against those of the rebel state of Sertorius".  The Genius of the Roman People appears to be standing on a globe and a prow asserting "domination" terra marique (over land and sea).

Thanks for the link! It looks like a great resource.

• Like 2

23 hours ago, antwerpen2306 said:

very interesting, prosopographies exits since...., as student in the 60 's I had to work on the Prosopogriphaia Ptolemaica in my second year at KUL. It is very helpful to find some indications. 

Thank you! here is a catalog of cataogs : https://wiki.digitalclassicist.org/Greco-Roman_Prosopographies that includes some information on Prosopographia_Ptolemaica

• Like 1