Naming Nomenclature - What's Your Thought

-monolith-

I'm sure there will be a lot of opinions on this topic. I collect Roman Imperial, Roman Provincial, and Greek coins. So my question is, what is the best way to catalogue (file name) Greek and Provincial coins? My file structure (naming nomenclature) for RIC coins is fairly straight forward (see below). Each file for RIC coins contains NAME - RIC # - COIN #. However there are a lot of different references for Greek and Provincial coins. So what naming nomenclature do you think makes the most since? Currently I have my files set up with PROVINCE, CITY, REIGN - REFERENCE # - COIN #. I guess my question is how should I catalogue coins from the same PROVINCE, CITY that contain different references (i.e. certain coins may only be referenced in BMCG or SNG Cop but other coins are only listed in other references)?

Example I have a variety of coins from various cities in Aeolis, and certain ones are only referenced in RPC, others in SNG Cop, and others in BMCG. Any thoughts on the best way to label these files?

image.png.fd5a300762084394bd6e0642547c0db3.png

Here is an example of my RIC coins which is a much easier process:

image.png.18f0da21315c63b8bd452191172042ab.png

• Like 2
  • Thinking 1

I have solved this problem completely, and in a simple fashion which anyone can emulate.  I don‘t collect Greek and Provincial coins.  But, I extend my admiration to those of you who do.😉 

• Big Smile 1
  • Smile 1

Posted · Supporter

I wish you luck in figuring out the best way 😄.  I've tried and failed many times.

In general, I've arranged my Greek coins by Eckhel's order of listing, and within each of those regions/states, cities by alphabet.  Provincials are arranged the same way, except I have separate boxes for coins of Roman Egypt, which are easy to arrange by Emmett number and year.  I only have a couple of boxes of Roman Imperials so they're not a problem.

I chose Eckhel's order because that's how so many auction houses catalog their coins.

One of these days I'm going to ditch it and try something easier, like just using the freakin' alphabet 🤣.

Even if I just go by alphabet... should I use alphabet by region, and then within a given region, individual cities by alphabet?  Or should I use the most specific or localized geographic unit for a given coin as the name for filing by alphabet?  And what to do about rulers and mints? 

So many ways to do this.  I'm tired just thinking about it but am open to suggestions.

Maybe something even more basic, just give each coin a number starting with 1, and log the rest of the bits of data in a spreadsheet.  That would certainly simplify storing them in boxes... no need to rearrange ten boxes when you have one more coin than will fit in box #1!

I am open to suggestions.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, TIF said:

Maybe something even more basic, just give each coin a number starting with 1, and log the rest of the bits of data in a spreadsheet.  That would certainly simplify storing them in boxes... no need to rearrange ten boxes when you have one more coin than will fit in box #1!

That is exactly what I do. I give all of my coins a sequential catalog number and then use a spreadsheet. It's the only way I would be able to find anything.

• Like 1
  • Yes 1

13 hours ago, TIF said:

I wish you luck in figuring out the best way 😄.  I've tried and failed many times.

In general, I've arranged my Greek coins by Eckhel's order of listing, and within each of those regions/states, cities by alphabet.  Provincials are arranged the same way, except I have separate boxes for coins of Roman Egypt, which are easy to arrange by Emmett number and year.  I only have a couple of boxes of Roman Imperials so they're not a problem.

I chose Eckhel's order because that's how so many auction houses catalog their coins.

One of these days I'm going to ditch it and try something easier, like just using the freakin' alphabet 🤣.

Even if I just go by alphabet... should I use alphabet by region, and then within a given region, individual cities by alphabet?  Or should I use the most specific or localized geographic unit for a given coin as the name for filing by alphabet?  And what to do about rulers and mints? 

So many ways to do this.  I'm tired just thinking about it but am open to suggestions.

I am open to suggestions.

I've been cataloging my coins like you stated, in alphabetical order by province, city, ruler (if any), coin number (in case I have multiples of the same coin). This makes it easy to catalogue a large growing collection. For example all if I'm adding a Mysia, Pergamon coin all I have to do is scroll down to the "M" folders, this eliminates the need to memorize the geographical locations of the coins based on BMCG or Eckhel, and therefore their position within the file structure.

However, I keep my coins in binders so I've been "organizing" my Greek and Provincial collections together by provinces, cities, rulers (if any) based on the BMCG organizational method which is very similar to Joseph Eckhel and David Sear. BMCG and Eckhel are old and outdated and are missing a lot of coins. Sear's Greek coin publications are basically just a very consolidated version of BMCG. The problem then arises as to where to place the coins that are referenced by other sources such as SNG or that are not included in standard references. I thought about making my own reference numbering system based on my collection, similar to collections like Lindgren. 

• Like 1