Stack's Bowers selling hidden treasure coin collection over 100 years old that is "the most valuable collection of world coins to ever come to market"

Ryro

untitled-1-coin.webp.01772bc43ba3594a211bd3bfb4d5407f.webp

Reading the news and came across this strange story of another eccentric coin collector and his even stranger request for what to do with his collection after he died. I thought others might get a kick out of the story. 

"Following the death of the Danish butter magnate Lars Emil Bruun in 1923, his will had a curious order: His vast accumulation of coins, notes and medals, amassed over more than six decades, should be held as an emergency reserve for Denmark’s national collection in case it were ever destroyed. After a century, if all was well, his own cache could finally be sold to benefit his descendants"...

Read the rest here:

https://edition.cnn.com/2024/08/26/style/denmark-le-bruun-coin-collection-auction/index.html

untitled-1-20240826052826001.webp.16aaef864a6a55b34235eefa51041542.webp

• Like 9
  • Cool 1
  • Mind blown 1
  • Thinking 2

You can see the listings for the first auction of 287 coins on the Stocks Bowers website - https://auctions.stacksbowers.com/auctions/3-1AKQTC/the-l-e-bruun-collection-a-corpus-of-scandinavian-monetary-history-part-i-lots-1001-1286

I saw only one coin with an opening bid below 1000 euro, so these are all well out of my range. But I imagine, with 20,000 coins in the collection, there may be some more affordable ones in the later auctions (if they’re not all packaged into dealer lots).

• Thanks 1