Help on Lucius Verus Alexandrian Ae Drachm

Was hoping someone can give me a reference no. for this coin ... and thanks for the help.

Lucius Verus : Alexandria Egypt, Ae Drachm, dated RY 2 = 161/2 AD

Obv: Λ AVPHΛIOC (OVHPOC) CЄBA; Laureate and cuirassed bust left

Rev: Nilus reclining left holding cornucopia from which infant Genius holding wreath emerges, crocodile below; L B (I think it’s a B) to left

Size: 34mm, 25.6gms 

LuciusVerusAlexandriaNilusJM.jpg.664a341b514ab8d71d12620a091c4551.jpg

• Like 3

Posted · Supporter

At a quick look, I think that's an H (year 8), making this Emmett 2407.8, Nilus seated l. on rock, crocodile.  Not listed for year 2, although sometimes there are years/issues unknown to Emmett.

• Like 2
  • Yes 1

Posted · Supporter

Emmett didn't create separate numbers for things like bust direction. He does note that both left- and right-facing busts of Lucius Verus are found for all drachms except year 9, but he doesn't bother to separate LT vs RT for individual obverse/reverse types, nor does he flyspeck the legends.

I can check Dattari and other sources later, if you want, to see if they have separate listings for the type based on bust direction.

Edited by TIF
  • Like 1

TIF, I want to very much thank you again for taking the time to look at the coin ... much appreciated. I checked again and I can't find a single example of this type for comparison. Pretty odd but it does happen now and then.

• Like 1