Does Anyone Have Access to Sotheby’s Sale of the Paeonian Hoard (1969)?

If so I was hoping you would be willing to take photos of 493 through 499 for me. This is one of the few Sotheby’s catalogs I don’t have between my physical and digital libraries.

I am curious to know if my example is a die match to any of these.

Paeonian_Tet_CSH_F.jpeg.5bce0c1d246aee99697bd85c278f1777.jpeg

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

• Like 3
  • Heart Eyes 4

2 hours ago, Curtisimo said:

If so I was hoping you would be willing to take photos of 493 through 499 for me. This is one of the few Sotheby’s catalogs I don’t have between my physical and digital libraries.

I am curious to know if my example is a die match to any of these.

Paeonian_Tet_CSH_F.jpeg.5bce0c1d246aee99697bd85c278f1777.jpeg

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

I had no luck finding this catalog when I was looking for it a few years ago -  all the notes that I assembled are here:

https://www.sullacoins.com/post/a-paeonian-tetradrachm - seven coins published from the "Sotheby's 1969 Paeonian Hoard" in this catalog : Glendining 12-JUL-1979 unfortunately not the coin you are looking for.

• Like 2

I have the catalog of "The Extremely Important Greek Hoard" offered by Parke-Bernet Galleries, New York, Dec. 9, 1969, with lots 45-136 and 157-205 of this type (The interruption is gold staters of Alexander) and lots 206-220 local, cruder, imitations of this type.  Their photography and printing in 1969 was poor compared to today's standards. 

@Curtisimo, your coin has some distinctive features and does not seem to be any of those coins. Mine is number 157 (but I did not buy it from them, rather later from Fred Shore, "The Parthian.")

image.jpeg.b36fb48cd9e8963dfffc5c3070688e0f.jpeg

Sear Greek 1520. BMC Greek 5. SNG Copenhagen volume 2, Macedonia, 1388-1390.
Die-break above the head and on the cheek.
23-22 mm. 12.66 grams. 
The quality of the photos would not make die-identification easy.

• Like 3
  • Heart Eyes 1

Thank you for looking that up for me @Valentinian. What a fantastic example made all the cooler by being one of the hoard coins! Beautiful toning.

Bummer that the photos aren’t ideal for identifying dies in the Parke-Berber sale. It is still a super interesting and important catalog. I read that the two hoard sales are sometimes used for die comparisons but perhaps that is more for the Sotheby’s plates.

I don't have the catalogue either - but your post reminded me to have a look for it and I managed to find a sold listing on Vcoins where a few pages are shown, including a photo' of my example 😄

Mine came from Elsen in June and is no. 177:

Screenshot2024-08-28020617.png.b93a32ed2593b04187ba45d71f9f2736.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

I'd happily pay £35 for the catalogue 😄

Thanks for reminding me to look!

ATB,
Aidan.

• Like 6
  • Heart Eyes 1
  • Smile 1

1 hour ago, akeady said:

I don't have the catalogue either - but your post reminded me to have a look for it and I managed to find a sold listing on Vcoins where a few pages are shown, including a photo' of my example 😄

Mine came from Elsen in June and is no. 177:

Screenshot2024-08-28020617.png.b93a32ed2593b04187ba45d71f9f2736.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

I'd happily pay £35 for the catalogue 😄

Thanks for reminding me to look!

ATB,
Aidan.

Wonderful example Aidan. If you end up finding it before I do please don’t forget about me and @Sulla80 🙂 

We would be most grateful for a few photos of the plates 😉 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Curtisimo said:

Wonderful example Aidan. If you end up finding it before I do please don’t forget about me and @Sulla80 🙂 

We would be most grateful for a few photos of the plates 😉 

there is a copy on Ebay at the moment - but I wasn't willing to go anywhere near the price being asked.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Sulla80 said:

there is a copy on Ebay at the moment - but I wasn't willing to go anywhere near the price being asked.

Yes but it’s only $4.00 shipping so it evens out right? 🤣

IMG_0495.jpeg.b9856ae6623c5f423eb2b2fbfc996f16.jpeg

• Big Smile 2
  • Gasp 1
  • Laugh 1
  • Mind blown 1

1 hour ago, Hesiod said:

Unfortunately only the reverse of 497 is plated.

PXL_20240831_204923257.jpg

PXL_20240831_205001639.jpg

Thanks @Hesiod. The attribution when I bought this was “Ref.: Paeonian Hoard 493-9”

From your photo it appears that the reverse inscription ends in “TAY” whereas my example appears to end in “OY”. Perhaps the attribution was incorrect. Are there examples in the sale that are closer to mine? I am thinking perhaps it was misattributed.

I really appreciate your help. I owe you Hesiod.