Minimizing the purchase of fakes

kirispupis

• Benefactor

Hello everyone,

This isn't a new topic, but I thought I'd go over the recommended steps for minimizing the acquisition of fakes. The following are my steps, and I'm curious to hear how others' differs.

1. Only buy from reputable dealers. For me, this is mainly VCoins, MA-Shops, and a handful of auction houses. On VCoins/MAShops, I stick to dealers who have numismatists I trust can differentiate most fakes. While there are no nefarious shops AFAIK, a number simply resell coins from other sites, and some of those are suspect.
  2. Look at similar examples at sites such as ACSearch. What are the weight and size ranges for this type? Does the coin fall in those ranges? If it does not, I pass. There are, at times, genuine coins that are removed this way, but I'd rather be safe.
  3. Is this a type known for forgeries, such as Mesambria, Chersonesos, Istros, or Mark Antony? In that case, assume the coin is a fake unless it's proven to be genuine. This can be exhausting work, so in practice I tend to avoid these types. To "prove genuine" I usually look for verifiable provenance or a die match with another coin of verifiable provenance, where the wear suggests a copy is extremely unlikely.
  4. Similarly, if the coin is in outstanding condition for the type, I take the attitude of assuming it's fake unless proven genuine.
  5. Consult the references that cover this coin, if I can find it online or I own the reference. What are the weight/size ratios there? Can I identify a die match? Does the style of the target coin match those in the reference?
  6. Does the coin have a provenance I can verify? All of my coins are on the cheap end and no provenance is the norm, but if I were spending serious money I would require a verifiable provenance. Similarly, if the provenance goes back to a seller such as Bertolami, I avoid the coin.
  7. Can I find a die match to another example that was sold? Or, can I find a double die match with exactly the same centering that strongly suggests this coin is a copy?
  8. Search Forums fake coin listings and other forgery sites. How common are known forgeries and what should I watch out for?
  9. Ideally look for all the standard "flaws" of fakes. However, I'm not the best judge here, so in that respect I trust that the numismatists at highly reputable shops weed out these obvious fakes.
  10. Compare the style of "reputable coins" (those in museums and the reference guides) with the target coin to check for tooling and fakes.
  11. Understand that when you purchase outside of your area of expertise, the odds of fakes will be much higher. Today, I spend many times the effort when evaluating Roman coins as Greek, because I recognize that I don't know as much about Romans, nor do I spend nearly as much time looking at them. 
  • Like 11
  • Thanks 1
  • Thinking 1

Unpopular ones here -

Buy a few fake coins. It can help a lot. Even if reproductions or electrotypes.

NGC slabs are a huge help in authenticity if worried. Yes they make some mistakes but far fewer than the other certifying types, even Sear. Or put another way don’t trust certification unless NGC and even then there’s a tiny risk.……

Plus- 

Remember  a coin has 3 faces and lots of sites only show 2.

Keep a photofile of all dies for sale- Katz etc has sold a lot, for study no doubt.

Buy a couple of books on the subject, they can be good fun as well as helpful.

Follow threads on other coin forums on false coins. Don’t know the language? No excuse. Google Translate does.

Remember most counterfeiters aren’t trying to perfectly replicate a coin. They are trying to shift product.

If possible, hold the coin in your hand.

Be extremely careful with Sicilian bronzes.

Don’t buy from Berto…oh wait that’s been covered!

Edited by Deinomenid
Corrected NGC
  • Like 10
  • Thanks 1
  • Thinking 1
  • Yes 1

4 minutes ago, Deinomenid said:

Don’t buy from Berto…oh wait that’s been covered!

Their latest batch is highly suspect. I don't see a lot of Tarentine fakes but half of what's listed there right now are very suspicious. 

Oh yeah, imo.

~ Peter 

Edited by Phil Anthos
  • Like 1
  • Smile 1

• Benefactor
14 minutes ago, Deinomenid said:

NAC slabs are a huge help in authenticity if worried. Yes they make some mistakes but far fewer than the other certifying types, even Sear. Or put another way don’t trust certification unless NAC and even then there’s a tiny risk.……

NGC, I assume. 

• Like 1
  • Yes 1

• Benefactor
Posted (edited)

Knowledge first, through experience.  In the absence of knowledge, trusted source and lots of homework (research) before buying.  Certificates are helpful, but they are opinions, but based (one would hope) on expertise.  

Also, if there is doubt about a coin (seller, authenticity, condition, variety, rarity, etc.) consulting the members of this forum can be very helpful.  There's an ocean of knowledge here!

Edited by robinjojo
  • Like 8
  • Thinking 1
  • Yes 1