Pupienus Damnatio?

Victrix

Damnatio memoriae is one of those myths that won't die. Yes, it was a thing in the aftermath of certain purges (Caligula, Nero, Geta) but these edicts were by and large symbolic. The rage was to be vented out on the ousted leader's portraits, monuments and other public displays associated with the person. But much as you might dislike, say, Andrew Jackson for being the detestable ahole he was, you're almost certainly not going to take it out by ripping up your 20 dollar bills. Neither should one think ordinary Romans defaced their own money when doing so might make it worthless.

Except, of course, when they were bored or drunk. You do stupid things on those occasions dzfx.png.af90639bdd0d54f6da36fb1bda9f3184.png

Rasiel

• Like 5
  • Smile 2
  • Thinking 1
  • Yes 1

• Benefactor
Posted (edited)

Here's my Pupienus...celebrating his unlikely victory over Maximinus Thrax at Aquileia. I have a few sestertii with scratches. I presume it's just part of normal wear and tear on these coins like once in awhile I get a damaged quarter in my change.

Then  again neither Balbinus or Pupienus were deified nor commemorated in Trajan Decius' memorial coinage. I suppose the coins would have read "DIVO PVPIENO" so a bit humorous in modern parlance....whereas the weird Commodus was deified.

pupienus1.jpg.7c09166d61f888b8cb4f4cca2cfd643b.jpg

pupienus2.jpg.bcefb9115860d4ce7fe002023094bc19.jpg

Here is a Volusian with an (ancient) scratch

volusian.jpg.58d173e0c9d682e269e2bb3204bd2516.jpg

Edited by Ancient Coin Hunter
  • Like 9

If you are going to have a Pupienus, you have got to have his BEST BUDDY, too!

upload_2021-10-16_6-34-34.png
Balbinus, AD 238
AR Denarius, 20mm, 3.7g, 12h; Rome, AD 238. 
Obv.: IMP C D CAEL BALBINVS AVG; Laureate, draped, cuirassed bust right.
Rev.: VICTORIA AVGG; Victory standing front with wreath and palm. 
Reference: RIC 8

upload_2021-10-16_6-36-19.png

Pupienus 238
Ar. denarius,
IMP CM CLOD PVPIENVS AVG, dr. laur. bust r.,
rev., CONCORDIA AVGG, Concordia seated l. on the throne holding patera and double cornucopiae
(Seaby, 6). 
3 g

Edited by Alegandron
  • Like 4
  • Popcorn 1
  • Yes 1

On 8/30/2024 at 5:18 AM, Victrix said:

Came across this coin and at first I thought this must have been some damnatio of some kind. However the reverse also has it. Possibly a token or some other usage ? 

pup1.jpg

pup2.jpg

From an essay in the journal Trierer Petermännchen 32/33, 2020 on the topic "Damnatio Memoriae on Roman coins?
"The vast majority of the damage is certainly due to private or individual destruction by individuals, i.e. a kind of "personal" damnatio memoriae, so to speak. The cause may have been both religious and political, such as hatred of a particular emperor or even of the entire Imperium Romanum.

https://www.academia.edu/43280678/Damnatio_Memoriae_auf_römischen_Münzen

Edited by justus
  • Thanks 1