Summer vibes and good reads (plus a neat coins)

This summer hasn't been one to sit back and relax to be honest, but every once in a while going for a swim and leaning back with a good book doesn't hurt.

Here's one I really enjoyed. "The summer of the century" is a great anecdotal history of how "ordinary" Germans experienced 1913. Excellently told and not too kitchy! I can only recommend it.

The coin as a small bonus of course helps feel the spirit a bit more.

20240503_153622.jpg.e6cde1d60d3c2c79723bcde9df0a5709.jpg

The toning must come from it's many years in a prestigious European collection, I got the piece as a gift for an internship there.

20240430_170234.jpg.64b5eb54c34d1df55894587b134dbf96.jpg20240430_170242.jpg.dbded1ac89f3a230c0eebff0d97d3fac.jpg

Edited by Helvius Pertinax
sent too early
  • Like 14
  • Yes 1

Great coin with a gret patina and of course more impressive in hand due to size. 

It reminds me of my Akragas large(ish) bronze with a similar obverse scene, although on mine it's a hare

image.png.0b9d8fde5909a2d08b7460e5936e6c38.png

29,8 mm, 20,5 g.
Sicily, Akragas. Ӕ hemilitron. 425-406 BC.
AKΡA, eagle flying right, with wings spread, clutching hare in its talons / Crab; crayfish to left and scallop below; six pellets (mark of value) around.
Calciati I pg. 165, 10.

• Like 8

12 hours ago, ambr0zie said:

It reminds me of my Akragas large(ish) bronze with a similar obverse scene, although on mine it's a hare

image.png.0b9d8fde5909a2d08b7460e5936e6c38.png

Hey, nicely spotted! That does come really close, especially when looking at how the wings are engraved. Perhaps they took inspiration from the large silver of Akragas? 1913 Germany would certainly have had access to that, and the reputation of its coins would make it somewhat plausible.

• Like 1

That’s certainly a good read, the author also does a podcast you may know („Augen zu“ with Giovanni di Lorenzo). 
May I ask what kind of internship it was?

Beautiful coin too, I used to collect these. 

• Like 2

On 9/1/2024 at 1:07 AM, Taras69 said:

That’s certainly a good read, the author also does a podcast you may know („Augen zu“ with Giovanni di Lorenzo). 
May I ask what kind of internship it was?

Beautiful coin too, I used to collect these. 

Oh, I didnt know about that one yet, maybe an opportunity to expand my knowledge on themes I don't know that much about! I'll certainly give it a listen, and thanks for the recommendation. And the internship was at a coin cabinet, just two weeks but still a great experience. Love the coin for it's toning, I've stopped actively collecting Imperial silver but it always brings joy when looking at it 😁

• Like 1