Happy with my Gordian III denarius (show yours!)

Coinmaster

Hi all,
I just bought this nice denarius of the young emperor Gordian III (238-244). My collection mainly consists of denarii. Since I already own an antoninianus of Gordian III, there wasn’t any urgency to acquire another coin from this emperor. However, it was about time to swap the radiate head for a laureate one! I'm happy I found this nice coin, not at an auction for a change, but on VCoins for just €165. I think that's a deal I can be happy with.

Obverse: IMP GORDIANVS PIVS FEL AVG, laureate, draped, and cuirassed bust right
Reverse: SALVS AVGVSTI, Salus feeding snake on her arm from patera
Weight: 3.41 g; Reference: RIC IV Gordian III 129A.
Background info: DIR and ERIC.

Please show your gems from Gordian III, thanks!

screenshot_6030.png

gordian-iii-facial-reconstruction-13032.jpeg

• Like 22
  • Heart Eyes 1

Here is my Denarius.

gordiiidena.jpg.d88436cdf328bfcd6211bed908cf73c3.jpg

Gordian III (238 - 244 A.D.)

AR Denarius
O: IMP GORDIANVS PIVS FEL AVG, Laureate, draped, and cuirassed bust right.
R: SECVRITAS PVBLICA Securitas seated left on throne, holding scepter and resting head upon hand.
Rome, 240 A.D.
3.81g
18mm
RIC IV 130; RSC 340

Heavy for type.

• Like 16
  • Thanks 1

I only have a single Gordian III. I prefer the reverse to the obverse on this one.

242_to_243_GordianIII_Antoninianus_01.png.58454047c9fb98865429e41484a3da69.png242_to_243_GordianIII_Antoninianus_02.png.844a4acda51a31430e6b33cb5de4c05f.png
GORDIAN III AR silver antoninianus. IMP GORDIANVS PIVS FEL AVG, radiate, draped & cuirassed bust right. Reverse - P M TR P VI COS II PP, Gordian standing right with globe & spear. RSC 276. 22mm, 5.3g. 242-243 AD.

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1

Posted · Supporter

Nice denarius. I have two Gordian III coins; a very rare as and an interesting provincial issue.

GordianIIIasVictory-Virtus.jpg.3e0d53f58cf1279fe3d08e702c8b5399.jpg

GORDIAN III, AD 238-244
AE As (25.10mm, 8.47g, 12h)
Struck AD 242/3. Rome mint
Obverse: IMP GORDIANVS PIVS FEL AVG, laureate and draped bust of Gordian III right
Reverse: VIRTVS AVGVSTI, Gordian, in military attire, seated left on cuirass, holding spear, crowned by Victory standing left
behind him and receiving branch from Mars or Virtus standing right before; two standards in background, S C in exergue
References: RIC IV 326 (R2), RCV 8809
A very rare type, possibly struck in anticipation of Gordian's successful campaign against the Sassanid empire and the defeat of Shapur I at the Battle of Resaena in 243.

GordianIIIAEOstrich.jpg.dc897613c7cd6ee890d9d897f09ac5c6.jpg

THRACE, HADRIANOPOLIS
Time of Gordian III
AE (16.83mm, 3.35g, 7h)
Struck AD 238-244
Obverse: ΑΥΤ Κ Μ ΑΝΤ ΓΟΡΔΙΑΝΟϹ, laureate, draped and cuirassed bust of Gordian III right, seen from rear
Reverse: ΑΔΡΙΑΝΟΠΟΛΕΙΤΩΝ, ostrich standing right
References: RPC Online, Vol. VII.2, No. 806 (12th specimen this coin)
A rare type, with good detail and a beautiful emerald green patina.

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1

Really nice acquisition Anton, very sharp and detailed strike. I will contribute to this thread with the second ancient coins I bought many years ago; still have it, but didn’t look at it for a while…but thanks to you I did it today…

IMG_7936.jpeg.5fe9be6d6d6d8f43df0cf5c4641fbd39.jpeg

And for educational purpose, here are two dangerous counterfeits that have deceived several collectors:

IMG_7937.jpeg.3129b4b4ffb46f894596410e7389917a.jpeg

• Like 9
  • Thanks 2
  • Gasp 2

Nice new coin @Coinmaster!

Here's my Gordy thrice Denarius:

IMG_0680.jpg.c08d5b6c9c0a465ba4926f47781ccecf.jpg.c29410d3f537c0112706d1dc07bfc01a.jpg

Though, my favorite coins of him are in bronze. Here's a favorite from last year:

e694135578_s-l1600.jpg.d2b4f26c38a7e9f129f734dfa72c2a10.jpg

Thrace, Hadrianopolis, Gordian III (238-244 AD), AE26, Herakles capturing Cretan Bull. 

A rare mythological subject, the seventh labour of Herakles. The Cretan Bull was the same bull which Pasiphaë fell in love with, and it became the father of the Minotaur. 

VF, somewhat rough surfaces with irregular patination. Rare. 

Varbanov 3706

Purchased from Bermonsey Coins Ltd Oct 2023

Edited by Ryro
  • Like 12
  • Thanks 1

Nice denarius!

I have only one; an interesting uncleaned one.

42192q00.jpg.fec687e8adbe669616fd514a5b1b85da.jpg

Silver denarius, RIC IV 114, RSC IV 238, F, uncleaned as found, Rome mint, weight 2.407g, maximum diameter 19.9mm, die axis 180o, 240 A.D.; obverse IMP GORDIANVS PIVS FEL AVG, laureate, draped and cuirassed bust right, from behind; reverse P M TR P III COS II P P, Apollo seated left, branch in right, resting left arm on lyre;

The seller also added some wise advice:

This denarius is completely uncleaned and exactly as it was found in a container in the earth. We recommend the buyer leave it this way to add a new element of interest to their collection.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

Posted · Supporter

Fantastic details on that reverse, @Coinmaster!

GIII's coinage gives a lot of bang for the buck-- terrific coins for all types of collectors.

Also, doesn't Gordian III totally look like Eminem?  😁

TLL-GordianIII-Eminem.jpg.a798674037532826ce1824b5328f5845.jpg

I have a couple of GIII provincials:

image.png.c5bcb83d1af9c1511c74b6973b9fdedd.png

THRACE, Hadrianopolis. Gordian III
AE 18 mm, 2.59 gm
Obv: AVT K M ANT ΓORΔIANOC AVΓ; laureate, draped and cuirassed bust right.
Rev: AΔPIANOΠOΛEITΩN; ostrich running right
Ref: RPC VI.2, 804 #3 (this coin illustrated for the type); Varbanov 3833, rare

image.png.09d2e10ccf8326d6e7faf93017cd6df7.png 

CILICIA, Seleucia ad Calycadnum. Gordian III
238-244 CE
Æ 27 mm, 11 gm
Obv: ...ΓOPΔIANO radiate and draped bust right; C/M dot within triangle (Howgego 670?)
Rev: CEΛEVKEΩN; Athena advancing right, holding her shield with her extended left arm & preparing to hurl a spear at an anguipede giant (Enceladus?) who is throwing stones at her.
Ref: c.f. SNG Levante 763

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1
  • Laugh 1
  • Yes 3

7 hours ago, Ocatarinetabellatchitchix said:

And for educational purpose, here are two dangerous counterfeits that have deceived several collectors:

Thanks Dominic! These counterfeit coins could have fooled me too! 😳

5 hours ago, TIF said:

Also, doesn't Gordian III totally look like Eminem? 

Wow, indeed!! Let's call them the Eminem coins from now on! 😅

The same applies to Traianus and Putin (although very different characters). It could be fun to make a topic with emperor-lookalikes! 

• Like 1
  • Big Smile 1

4 hours ago, Coinmaster said:

Wow, indeed!! Let's call them the Eminem coins from now on! 😅

The same applies to Traianus and Putin (although very different characters). It could be fun to make a topic with emperor-lookalikes! 

I like the EMINEM name vs calling them roaches...  😄

Edited by Alegandron
  • Yes 3

Like many of us, I don't particularly collect Gordian III, I accumulate his coins. Despite the many antoniniani, sestertii, and provincial coins with Gordian III I have acquired over the years, I have only one denarius from Gordy. I've never posted it here or elsewhere.

GordianIIIVENVSVICTRIXdenarius.jpg.78010aac4a8ca6daa2e8c5e704682b3e.jpg
Gordian III, 238-244 CE.
Roman AR denarius, 2.76 g, 19.4 mm, 2 h.
Rome, 5th officina, 7th emission, 240 CE.
Obv: IMP GORDIANVS PIVS FEL AVG, laureate, draped, and cuirassed bust, right.
Rev: VENVS VICTRIX: Venus, draped, standing left, leaning on shield, holding helmet and scepter.
Refs: RIC 131; Cohen 347; RCV 8683; Hunter 66.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Yes, definitely Eminem ! 😉 

Very nice denarius @Coinmaster

I've posted a thread about Gordian III not long ago to show off my Gordy III series.

Here's my best denarius (pedigreed to @Severus Alexander's collection)

bfb1cb31807e4a3285431fcac4a88a9a.jpg

Gordian III, Denarius - Rome mint, 4th emission, 12-239/05-243 CE
IMP GORDIANS PIVS FEL AVG, laureate and draped bust right
AETERNITATI AVG, Sol, radiate and draped over left shoulder and arm, standing facing, head left, raising right hand and holding globe in left.
2,76 gr - 20,5 mm
Ref : RSC # 39, RCV # 8672, RIC # 111, Michaux # 275

Provenance : AMCC3 auction # 253. From the Severus Alexander collection; ex Frank Robinson Auction Sept. 2020 (from Frank’s collection), hammer 101 USD; ex Künker Auction 333 lot 1249, “from the collection of a Hanseatic Roman friend.”

Q

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, Ocatarinetabellatchitchix said:

Thanks for posting this article. This is a snippet from the article showing the main 6 forgeries. They are very good and very difficult to detect. Some collectors will purchase these as modern forgeries just to have in their collections while most are fooled into thinking their rare types not listed in RIC. The coins very in style and design but they all seem to share one similar trait, the pupil of the eye seems to be looking up instead of forward. 

Gordian3_imitations-2.jpg.7856bdd445f657e7bf3474aa83c5316c.jpg 

• Like 4

On 8/31/2024 at 12:12 AM, Coinmaster said:

Please show your gems from Gordian III, thanks!

Sure 😉 ... 

Marcus Antonius Gordianus III, Silver Antoninianus of the Roman Imperial Period 241/243 AD, Diameter: 26mm, Weight: 3.86g, Mint: Rome, Reference: RIC IV Gordian III 84, Obverse: Bust of Gordian III, radiate, draped, cuirassed with IMP GORDIANVS PIVS FEL AVG (Imperator Gordianus Pius Felix Augustus), Reverse: Jupiter, nude, standing front, head right, holding long sceptre in right hand and thunderbolt in left hand with IOVI STATORI (Iovi Statoris, to Jupiter, the upholder - preserver)

The reverse of this Antoninianus shows Jupiter, the highest deity of the Roman religion, also known as Iove (hence the derivation IOVI in the circumscription). This depiction of Jupiter only makes it onto Roman coins relatively late - Emperor Domitianus had the highest Roman deity minted as IOVI CONSERVATORI on a sestertius. Afterwards, the representation appears again under Commodus, again on a bronze coin. Only Septimius Severus had this interpretation minted on silver. Severus thanked the Jupiter Optimus Maximus for helping and preserving him on the bloody and violent path to imperial puprurship. Why did the young emperor Gordianus III take up this account again? Certainly not because Jupiter had helped him in the bloody struggle for the throne - Gordianus' path was not to be compared with that of Septimius Severus. But the emperor was still young, his power not consolidated - he lived in a violent time in which emperors sometimes had a short life. This issue could therefore represent a kind of optimistic message and propaganda, when Jupiter himself favoured and guarded the young emperor, protecting him from real and perceived dangers.

image.png.cb92b72f51970ef6d5557d49f10da4f5.png

Edited by Prieure de Sion
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Heart Eyes 1
  • Yes 1