who bought the Elagalabus stone denarius ?!!?

ominus1

4 hours ago, ominus1 said:

..this lil coin of interest just sold for 750 euros a couple of days ago....i was watching...but that's about all i could do...9_9..anybody here buy it??  ^^

elagalabus2.jpg

Its Very rare. But there are some provincial ones that has the Stone and its not expensive or hard to find

• Like 2
  • Smile 1

• Benefactor

Are we sure it's not really a potato?

Seriously though does anyone think this Syrian religion has anything to do with the black stone of the Ka'ba which also reputedly fell from heaven?

Note that Elagabalus' name (before Latinization) Ela Gabal means "god's mountain"

It might be possible that this concept in some sort of general sense passed through the centuries before being codified by Muhammad. Note that he received his revelation of the Qur'an while living in a cave on a mountain. 

I'll leave it to scholars of religion to figure it out. I do know that most scholars of the 7th century are completely unaware of Elagabalus' existence.

• Big Smile 1

23 hours ago, MrZun said:

Its Very rare. But there are some provincial ones that has the Stone and its not expensive or hard to find

My understanding is that it is a different stone often portrayed on provincials though, and not the holy stone of Emessa. Though there are some with Elagabalus black stone from the provinces they are rare as well. 

Here's mine:

Screenshot_20211203-093800_Chrome-removebg-preview.png.275bca28dac8d30193457fc1a02130ce.png

Elagabalus

AE29, 218-222 CE Phoenicia, Tyre mint. Obv: IMP CAES M AV ANTONINVS legend with laureate, draped and cuirassed bust right. Rev: AVR PIA [SID COL MET] legend with two-wheeled cult cart of Astarte right, with roof on four columns, two palms emerging from it; holy stone (baetyl) from Sidon within. 18.51 grams. Good.

Provenance

Ex Marlow's Auction; from an old UK collection prior to 2000; with old collector's ticket.

SNG Cop. 255. purchased from Timeline Auctions December 2021

• Like 7
  • Yes 1