A Damascene Bronze of Antiochos XI or Antiochos XII?

Anaximander

I won a bronze of Antiochos XII at auction. Or did I?  Perhaps I unintentionally plugged a hole in my collection, namely the short-lived Seleukid king Antiochos XI. A number of members contributed to a recent post on Seleukid bronzes by @Robi, including @Ryro,  @LONGINUS, and @Celator (who shared his bronze of Antiochos XI).  Can anyone shed some light here? 

image.jpeg.609cb9c49c9bdf0489532c0f5e1a6ecf.jpeg

The hardcopy and the online version of Houghton and Lorber, Seleucid Coins. A Comprehensive Catalog appear to conflict in this instance. While doing my usual deep-dive into the literature to nail down attributions of my latest coin, I pulled up SCO to search for Antiochos XII and found... nothing!  Damnatio memoriae? I finally found my coin by looking up the "TypeNumber" cited in the older, hardcopy version, 2478, but the confusion intensifies: the BnF attributes this type to Antiochos XII, but the ANS now attributes it to Antiochos XI (85-83 BC). 

There are few examples for this king, whose epithets include Epiphanes and Philadelphus.  The coin legend is ΒΑΣΙΛΕΩΣ ΑΝΤΙΟΧΟΥ ΕΠΙΘΑΝΟΥΣ | ΦΙΛΟΠΑΤΟΡΟΣ ΚΑΛΛΙΝΙΚΟΥ, and appears consistent with a reattribution to Antiochos XI.  But I see no one following the ANS lead here; all the entries in acsearch.info for Antiochos XI AE come up with the Athena reverse, not the Zeus reverse. 

• Like 5
  • Heart 1

Correct Philadelphus only has 2 bronze coins known, both with Athena reverse. The link to ANS has an incorrect attribution. The pictured coin is Antiochus Dionysos. The old BMC catalog has some out dated attributions which are now 140 years old!

Regarding the title ΚΑΛΛΙΝΙΚΟΥ, that belongs to Antiochus XII. It refers to his title from 2 mints meaning philometor Euergetes Callinicus.

Edited by Celator
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Hi. Indeed, when searching by selecting the ruler - Antiochus XII is missing, but when you search by number, your coin appears and the correct description attributing it to Antiochus XII (although when click on it, the attribution to Antiochus XI appears - maybe some of the information has been updated and some have not)

Screenshot_20240903-011554_Chrome.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Smile 1