strange Chi - Rho sign

mc9

Does anyone have an idea why the ( P ) of the Chi-Rho sign is in retrograde on this coin of Aelia Flacilla?

ael.jpg.792a2c3c6ad879d2225ce2c5d5529262.jpg

obv : AEL FLAC - CILLA AVG

rev : SALUS REI - PVBLICA

AD 383 - 387; mint : SISCIA ( SISC.); 11,55 mm; 1,26 gr

Thanks.

mc9

Hi there,

Could be a simple error. I found other coins with the P in retrograde too. Example: https://www.acsearch.info/search.html?id=9065529

The reverse die design seems overall to be consistent. But I also found this one: https://www.acsearch.info/search.html?id=4766480 No idea what happened here, most of the shield is left out of the design. Perhaps the engraver found it he ran out of space... 

• Cool 1

You may find this previous post of interest.  The reversed chi-rho was discussed briefly here.  I do not think it is always an engraver’s error.  Or, to be more precise, it was not perceived as an error.  

Even in modern times, the reversal is sometimes intended.

image.jpeg.73adbf57b37995375fbcb35dc49d2819.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

These retrograde Chi-Rhos, and Tau-Rhos, are relatively common - we also see them on Constantius's Fel Temp banners for example.

As Hrefn suggests, we should probably take it as a clue as to how these symbols were perceived, at least by some - as wholistic symbols rather than monograms with a preferred viewer-based orientation.

• Like 1
  • Yes 1

28 minutes ago, Hrefn said:

You may find this previous post of interest.  The reversed chi-rho was discussed briefly here.  I do not think it is always an engraver’s error.  Or, to be more precise, it was not perceived as an error.  

Even in modern times, the reversal is sometimes intended.

image.jpeg.73adbf57b37995375fbcb35dc49d2819.jpeg

I've always though Tolkien's monogram hard to beat. 😉 

• Thinking 2
  • Yes 1